Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #1

Rewiring gotcha FYI - awning not wired from DC distribution

On the weekend I rewired my 2012 Surveyor 295BHS to add a solar inverter, I unwired the WFCO converter and ran my DC power into the distribution panel and abandoned the battery feeds from the tongue of the trailer. Not that it's relevant, but I wired from the inverter directly to the AC distribution panel.

Bottom line is, all the DC functioned fine when fed from the new lines...except the awning which I discovered in the last 20 seconds before leaving, literally fully packed up with the kids in the truck to get back to the city for work!

So, I have no idea how common this is, but the DC feed for the awning looks to be fed off the old DC battery lines from the tongue of the trailer. It isn't present on the DC distribution panel labels.

So, now I have an option to hook up the old DC feed to the new source, or rewire power from the DC panel to the switch...which looks...unfun.
AB_SP295BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #2

Just to follow up, supplying power to the old 12V feed solved the issue, the power doesn't come through the DC fuse panel. One other discovery that I didn't note in the initial post is that there's a 15A inline fuse behind the switch...never would've guessed that if it stopped working.
AB_SP295BHS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, wiring