Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #21

My assumption is that you are saying I understand your message regarding safeguarding the electrical system by ensuring that everything is shut down during connection and disconnection. How much importance do you place on surge/brownout and water pressure protection?
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #22

Kritta, how do you like your 34tbok? We have one on order and anxious for it to come in and be able to start camping.
Scott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #23

Nammy, my 5er has a 30 & a 50 amp surge protector. I also have an autformer for too low or too high voltage. They are not cheap but when it comes to having to replace your electronics, which is cheaper???? I do have a water pressure regulator also. Now we've been camping with different sized trailers for 34 years now, starting with a 6 sleeper hard top, straight trailers and a couple of 5ers and with that comes experience. If you can afford some of this equipment, get it. If not then be very careful when you hook up. You can use cheap voltmeters to tell you what the electrical hookup is giving out, etc. As you are doing, ask a lot of questions. There aren't any questions that are stupid when it comes to learning about your rig. There are a lot of people on these forums who will gladly help you out.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
My assumption is that you are saying I understand your message regarding safeguarding the electrical system by ensuring that everything is shut down during connection and disconnection. How much importance do you place on surge/brownout and water pressure protection?
Surges and brownouts are high problems. Now a days everything has some kinda of electronic boards in there system or appliances. A surge can happen when the power is lost and then comes back on. It can spike your volts. An example is if you are running your ac, you lose power and then regain it suddenly. Your compressor will not have time to equalize the pressures between the high and low side of the valves. Then your compressor will go into lock rotor and not reset without shutting it off manually, Some stats have a 5min time delay built in stop this. Brownouts are when the electrical grid drops voltage. most things can run with a plus or minus 10% of rated voltage without doing damage. Anything more then that will cause problems and could end up being very costly. Surge guards protect this from happening. They are worth the money and very from what they are rated for and cost. Water pressure should be maintained at around 40 to 45lbs psi. You do not want to hook up to a water connection that is 75psi you could cause leaks in the system mostly at the fittings. I would say protect your systems as much as possible and what you comfortable with........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #25

I blew the 30 amp at the pedestal once. Had the a/c on, coffee maker was on, one hair dryer going, one hair straightener on, and then the wife ran the microwave. Camping with girls is rough.....lol.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
1) I always use "protection" when dealing with the unknown

2) I ALWAYS turn off the breaker at the panel before I plug in or disconnect the shore power plug

3) I ALWAYS use my Franks Autotransformer (in fact it is now permanently mounted in the wires going to the power center)

4) I always use a pressure regulator in my city water hose. I have seen water pressures over 100 PSI at my brother's house (I was helping him trouble shoot why all his faucets were leaking and he had city water)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1370.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	24259   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1067.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	24260   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1070.jpg
Views:	99