Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Is it safe to run 12 volt electric lines alongside the gas lines?

I just finished installing tank heaters to my Salem. I ran the wiring along the right side of the frame, which seemed easiest as that is where I decided to place the switch cluster inside the trailer. I drilled into the floor of the front storage area at the back where it is out of sight so the wires would exit. Anyway, when I snaked the wire loom along the frame, it just seemed easiest to zip tie the wire loom to the gas lines, as they are attached to the frame on this same side. If I would've run the wires on the left side,, there is nowhere to attach zip ties or wire clamps without drilling holes in the frame for wire clamps.. I didn't want to do that..

Is there any danger to running electric wires, even low voltage alongside gas lines in this manner?
Poonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:35 PM   #2

Running 12 volt electric lines alongside gas lines...

I recently installed tank heaters on my Salem camper. I didn't want to drill holes in the frame for wire clamps so I just zip tied the wire loom along the gas lines, since they were already. Is this unsafe to do? I've got an inline fuse just downstream of the battery in case of a surge. Should I have routed these wires elswhere?
Old 11-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
I recently installed tank heaters on my Salem camper. I didn't want to drill holes in the frame for wire clamps so I just zip tied the wire loom along the gas lines, since they were already. Is this unsafe to do? I've got an inline fuse just downstream of the battery in case of a surge. Should I have routed these wires elswhere?
I don't think I'd have chosen this route but if the wires are in wire loom, are of adequate size so heating isn't an issue, and if you have a fuse protecting the wires I don't think there would be an issue.

On my TT the gas lines are all rubber hose and actually have enough trouble supporting themselves. My old TT had a piece of black iron pipe running down the frame to supply the gas appliances and in that case I wouldn't have hesitated fastening wires to it with zip ties.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:18 PM   #4

I used 14 gauge wire, which is the recommended size by the company that sells the heaters. Each tank heater pulls I think around 5.5 amps. I was told 14 gauge wire can handle up to 20 amps, so I'm under that. I always put an inline fuse in the lines just after the battery. I guess I should've considered routing the wires in another area, but I didn't have much choice as again, I didn't want to drill holes in the frame.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
I used 14 gauge wire, which is the recommended size by the company that sells the heaters. Each tank heater pulls I think around 5.5 amps. I was told 14 gauge wire can handle up to 20 amps, so I'm under that. I always put an inline fuse in the lines just after the battery. I guess I should've considered routing the wires in another area, but I didn't have much choice as again, I didn't want to drill holes in the frame.
On my trailer the rubber gas lines run along the bottom of the frame on the passenger/curb side. Spaced out they are supported by strap/grommet fasteners. If I were to run wiring along them I'd first install a piece of conduit, supported using strap brackets secured to the same screws as the brackets holding the gas line. On one side of the screw the gas line, on the other the conduit.

Then run the wires through the conduit.

1/2" NM (plastic) conduit is inexpensive and will carry several pairs of 14 awg wire should you want to run other circuits the length of the trailer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #6

Doesn't bother me. I'm sure the gas line is well grounded with all the contact it makes to the frame etc..., the odds of a short cause a gas leak or fire is pretty remote IMO.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #7

Probably not. In my trailer I can find examples of 120V AC lines running next to gas lines so 12V should be less of a concern.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:16 PM   #8

Not a problem, all things being equal.

Quote:
Is there any danger to running electric wires, even low voltage alongside gas lines in this manner?
Not unless you're planning to chop through the gas line and wires simultaneously.

Richard in Milwaukee
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #9
D W

I'm not an electrician, but for what it's worth when I had an electrician install a natural gas furnace he told me the only wires than can be attached to a gas line is an earth ground. Any other wires that travel near a gas line must be in a conduit. Again, I'm not an expert. That's why I hire "the guy" to do things like this.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:56 PM   #10

Sparky is correct for line voltage but not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
I'm not an electrician, but for what it's worth when I had an electrician install a natural gas furnace he told me the only wires than can be attached to a gas line is an earth ground. Any other wires that travel near a gas line must be in a conduit. Again, I'm not an expert. That's why I hire "the guy" to do things like this.

.... for low voltage wiring, based on the Uniform Electrical Code. However that code does not apply to the RV Industry.
Richy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #11

Quote:
The rating for 14 gauge is 15 amps, 12 gauge is 20. I would do the conduit just for piece of mind.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Probably not. In my trailer I can find examples of 120V AC lines running next to gas lines so 12V should be less of a concern.
X2. It is amazing to find things like this in every RV. Gas lines with electric lines run together, water lines and filters run over power centers, water inlet 2" away from power inlet... etc.
Hell, my gravity feed inlet hose runs right next to my power center and converter! My buddies converter is located under a sink, and we know sinks never leak.....
Common sense says not to run electric next to gas unless sufficiently protected, but in reality, what the OP did is probably safer than areas of his RV done by the factory
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #13

I built my houseboat in a boat yard without their help. Their planning was zero. The running of lines and other design was varied depending on who worked there at the time. Basically the same with the RV industry. Mostly code-less and mostly careless.
I just like to walk away being completely satisfied with what I did.
The boatyard finally got blamed for a propane leak that resulted in a fire that destroyed the boat and one on each side of it. All three were small cheaper boats so the final insurance claim was only $700K. They are out business now and fortunately the boats weren’t occupied.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Are you gas lines an iron pipe or rubber?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #15

No if you have a problem with the wiring you can ark a hole in the gas line..
Actec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:02 AM   #16

Internet answers

And there you have it, Poonie! The range of answers you would expect when asking a question on an internet forum! Everything from, no problem, run a conduit, to you'll burn your trailer down to the frame.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:08 PM   #17

Quote:
I believe 14 ga is for 15 amps and 12 ga is for 20 amps
thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
And there you have it, Poonie! The range of answers you would expect when asking a question on an internet forum! Everything from, no problem, run a conduit, to you'll burn your trailer down to the frame.
Yep, no different that asking that question at your local saloon. Advantage to the saloon you can put eyeballs on the answer source.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:30 PM   #19

ya to what others have said, 14 ga is not sufficient for 20 amps, on top of that depending on length you may want 10 ga for that, over 20 ft with one conductor in the wire you will drop to just under 12v at the heaters if the battery is at 13.6v.

with 10 ga you will only drop to 12.65v or with 8 ga 12.98.

DC is finicky on long wires, no AC phases to combat that in a DC system.

as far as being near gas lines, no i would not put load bearing (as in current) wires near them without putting the wire in either conduit or corrugated conduit that was loomed with electrical tape afterwards to seal it up.
Mechcondrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcondrid View Post
ya to what others have said, 14 ga is not sufficient for 20 amps, on top of that depending on length you may want 10 ga for that, over 20 ft with one conductor in the wire you will drop to just under 12v at the heaters if the battery is at 13.6v.

with 10 ga you will only drop to 12.65v or with 8 ga 12.98.

DC is finicky on long wires, no AC phases to combat that in a DC system.

as far as being near gas lines, no i would not put load bearing (as in current) wires near them without putting the wire in either conduit or corrugated conduit that was loomed with electrical tape afterwards to seal it up.
Sorta correct, voltage drop depends on wire diameter, distance, and current carried. If his heating pads only draw 6 amps (about 80watts at 13.5 volts) 14 ga is plenty.

Tags
12 volt, electric, gas