Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Running A/C with Champion 3100 Generator

NOOOOO!!! Not another generator question!

As mentioned, I have a Champion 3100 inverter generator which does a fine job of running the 15,000 BTU air conditioner in my 2104S, but not much more. I was using it the other day while doing some general maintenance on the trailer, it's on a storage lot so no shore power. I noticed the generator had no problems in econo mode until the compressor cycles. I had the fan on manual low and nothing else running, when the compressor kicks on the generator loads up and the fan speed slows significantly due to the start-up surge. After a second it's fine. My concern is could that surge be harmful to the A/C? I know voltage drops can be killers to sensitive electronics and these things ain't cheap! I did add a piggyback capacitor that seems to help; I'd consider the EasyStart system but that's a bit too spendy for me.
The generator does fine in normal mode, but obviously goes through the gas much faster. I'd probably only run it on econo mode at night when only the A/C would be running. We rarely boondock and I know most parks call for no generators after dark, but where I live gets pretty hot all summer and I'd like the option, but not at the cost of my A/C!
Thanks as always for any input.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #2

hotter temps will make the compressor work a little harder, lower temps the opposite...

nothing sensitive in the AC unit from low power, maybe something else plugged in is sensitive?

high transient voltage spikes are harder on electronics then a second or two of lower voltage causing motors to drop... most electronics are much lower (5 or 12) DC voltage driven and that tends to filter that low AC voltage problem out...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #3

but...it sounds like EasyStart may be the perfect solution.
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
but...it sounds like EasyStart may be the perfect solution.
Without a doubt, too bad about the cost. I might just have to bite the bullet and order one. I wonder if another capacitor wired in parallel would make a difference? Probably chasing my tail on that one.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #5

Quote:
I might just have to bite the bullet and order one. I wonder if another capacitor wired in parallel would make a difference?
No another cap will not help... for $300 even at $3/gallon you can buy 100 gallons of gas for the cost of that Easy Start... now if money is no object then that is an easy fix.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
No another cap will not help... for $300 even at $3/gallon you can buy 100 gallons of gas for the cost of that Easy Start... now if money is no object then that is an easy fix.
Exactly what I was thinking. I forgot to mention that the reduced noise of econo mode is another plus, but we really don't plan on dry camping all that often so I doubt the Easy Start would be money well spent.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

Generally low voltage during startup isn't the big problem that continued low voltage is after the motor starts

Most smaller generators will lug down with the higher current draw but if they get the unit started and it's running normally, usually all is well. To be sure just check voltage when the ac is running the compressor and make sure the voltage is in the 110-120 v range.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #8

Another thing to consider is how long the camper was plugged in with the generator running. At first, the converter will take more generator power to try and charge the batteries. After some time the converter draw will be less freeing up more power for that first surge to start the ac compressor. One thing I do to help out the generator is put the ac fan on manual any time we are running the generator. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #9

My last generator was optimistic with its rated capacity. I found that it was best to run the generator for a bit to top off the batteries before turning on the a/c. I also have disconnected the converter if I knew the batteries were low and then I'd start the air conditioner and then turn the converter to charge the batteries.

Even when not in econo mode I found that a heavy load such as a hot plate ramped up the generator to its max RPM and then I'd shut off the load at the same time I turned the a/c on. It helped get things going and the voltage drop with the a/c turning on didn't seem to hurt anything.

Since you don't boondock frequently, nothing wrong with sending out the DW or kids to turn the econo mode off ;-)
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #10

Another thing I've found helps when first starting the a/c in HOT weather. If you have left the RV for some time or just finished setting up and the a/c unit itself is hot both from air temp and sun, compressor head pressure can be quite high initially. Run on fan only for a few minutes to at least bring components down to ambient temp then switch to cool. Also let's generator warm up so it can more quickly respond to rapid increases in load.

I know that this has helped with my generators in the past. Haven't traveled with new TV or new inverter/gen in super hot areas yet. Maybe with both 22 years newer I won't have to do this.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:25 AM   #11

+2 on the voltage test at the generator. Both loaded and unloaded. Do not run in Econo mode with the AC on.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator