Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #1

Running Lights Go Out Any Suggestions

I have a 2016 Grey Wolf 27RR. I've had this problem with the running lights going out since I bought this toy hauler new. The running lights go out and the power wire in the harness that feeds the lights gets really hot it doesn't blow any fuses on my truck though. I took it back to CW in 2016 where i bought it and they could never replicate the problem. Then I talked to the factory and they agreed to look at it.So it went back to the factory in the fall of 2016 at first they couldn't replicate the problem but when I picked it up and got a few miles from the factory the lights went and I turned around went back. They immediately got on it and took every light out of the camper and found just inside the left rear top clearance light the wires and actually gotten so hot it burnt some of the insulation in the wall and melted the insulation off the wires. They made repairs and it worked for the trip home and 1 trip that next spring. On our next trip in July of 2017 the same issue came back again I contacted the factory and they were to busy to look at it but told me to take it another authorized repair facility. So in September of 2017 I took it to another repair shop and they couldn't replicate the problem but said they added a couple ground wires they thought were missing. The lights worked fine on the trip home from there and again on my spring trip in April of 2018. Left in July of 2018 for 2 different trips and the lights went out in less than 20 minutes of being on the road for the 1st trip and didn't work again till I got home from the 2nd trip. Went on a trip over this labor day weekend and the lights worked until i got 4 hours away then went out again and didn't come back on until i got home and unloaded my bike out of the back.
So I have it narrowed down to the outside temp has to be over 80 and the toy hauler has to be in motion being towed before the lights and they go out when i either hit a bump in the road or the toy hauler is being torqued by taking a sharp curve on a highway.
I emailed Forrest River in July of 2018 after the lights went out again and haven't heard back from them.
I'm going to take out the top 2 rear clearance lights and disconnect the wires that feed power to the clearance lights to the middle and front of the toy hauler and hope it stays hot long enough to take for another trip and see if the lights keep working if they do I"ll reconnect one side at a time and take more trips to try and isolate the problem thru the process of elimination.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1977 Honda Gold Wing GL1000
2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
I have a 2016 Grey Wolf 27RR. I've had this problem with the running lights going out since I bought this toy hauler new. The running lights go out and the power wire in the harness that feeds the lights gets really hot it doesn't blow any fuses on my truck though. I took it back to CW in 2016 where i bought it and they could never replicate the problem. Then I talked to the factory and they agreed to look at it.So it went back to the factory in the fall of 2016 at first they couldn't replicate the problem but when I picked it up and got a few miles from the factory the lights went and I turned around went back. They immediately got on it and took every light out of the camper and found just inside the left rear top clearance light the wires and actually gotten so hot it burnt some of the insulation in the wall and melted the insulation off the wires. They made repairs and it worked for the trip home and 1 trip that next spring. On our next trip in July of 2017 the same issue came back again I contacted the factory and they were to busy to look at it but told me to take it another authorized repair facility. So in September of 2017 I took it to another repair shop and they couldn't replicate the problem but said they added a couple ground wires they thought were missing. The lights worked fine on the trip home from there and again on my spring trip in April of 2018. Left in July of 2018 for 2 different trips and the lights went out in less than 20 minutes of being on the road for the 1st trip and didn't work again till I got home from the 2nd trip. Went on a trip over this labor day weekend and the lights worked until i got 4 hours away then went out again and didn't come back on until i got home and unloaded my bike out of the back.
So I have it narrowed down to the outside temp has to be over 80 and the toy hauler has to be in motion being towed before the lights and they go out when i either hit a bump in the road or the toy hauler is being torqued by taking a sharp curve on a highway.
I emailed Forrest River in July of 2018 after the lights went out again and haven't heard back from them.
I'm going to take out the top 2 rear clearance lights and disconnect the wires that feed power to the clearance lights to the middle and front of the toy hauler and hope it stays hot long enough to take for another trip and see if the lights keep working if they do I"ll reconnect one side at a time and take more trips to try and isolate the problem thru the process of elimination.
Bummer. You didnt get into things you tried so I will start with the easy things I would try first.

I assumed that you checked the box where the 7pin is spliced in? In mine they just used wire nuts and you could easily get a strand lose to ground in there. It would cause heat there among other places and could melt wiring. You should also check anywhere there is a wire tie on the harness as well. Sometimes folks torque it down so hard they crease or break wire insulation.

I would also pull all the lights and inspect wiring behind them as well as check for grounding in the fixture itself. Swapping or pulling bulbs when you have the issue may work but if you melted wires behind the fixture it wont help because the short will happen even with the bulb pulled.

Update us and maybe others can chime in as well.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #3

If the “factory trained professionals” could not repair the problem, perhaps there is no hope of it ever being fixed. The absolute best indication of where the problem lies is with the wires that had burned the insulation and wiring insulation. The problem is not likely where the wires got burned, but down stream from that. I would cut those wires, not losing their ends of course and see what lights no longer work after cutting the wires. Because the lights or their wiring that no longer work after being cut are the ones burning those wires as they are lights downstream of the burned wires. And likely cutting those wires that burned would never cause another problem, except for those problem lights and wiring that no longer worked due to being taken out of the circuit.

Here is the other thing, what protects the wiring from the tow vehicle to its seven-pin socket connector at the rear of the tow vehicle? You say no burned fuses. However, might the circuit be protected by an automatic reset circuit breaker? I am here to say, if there is a short bad enough to cause all the lights to go out, it is bad enough to blow a fuse in a heartbeat. And here is the other thing, even if there is a broken wire that is shorting out downstream of the burned wires, that broken wire is not going to cause all the lights to go out, unless it is dead short that will burn a fuse in a heartbeat or open an auto reset circuit breaker until it cools. If the circuit is protected by an automatic circuit breaker in the tow vehicle, that would explain the lights working intermittently and since circuit breakers work based on heat caused by electric current flow, warmer weather will open a circuit breaker sooner than cooler weather.

The burned wires that were found are a clear indication that a serious problem lies with the coach and not the tow vehicle. The only thing that burns wires is excessive current flow due to a short circuit. Locating that short circuit if “intermittent” is not going to be easy. I worked with an old mechanic in the days of the old-style round glass automotive fuses. When he had a short he couldn’t find, he replaced the fuse with copper tubing and let the wires burn. I am not suggesting that ever be done on your coach, just that intermittent problems can be very very time consuming to fix. My experience over the years is they are usually caused by careless construction of mobile vehicles and I have seen a lot of stuff no one could ever imagine being done. It is possible one of the lamp assemblies or a bulb its self is defective (short circuiting). If an LED lamp is shorting, the whole LED can be defective. Those lamps to investigate are the ones that do not work after cutting the wires that burned. This kind of repair is best made by an equipment mechanic who understands automotive lighting systems. Sometimes the factory trained professionals get lucky and fix the stuff they build the second or third time around.

Sometimes, there can be two intermittent problems occurring at the same time. If there was an intermittent connection causing an open circuit in the tow vehicle wiring, 7-pin connector, or umbilical cord, that could also cause all the lamps to go out. In fact, there can be a short in the coach light wiring and an intermittent open connection between the tow vehicle and the first light on the coach. It takes a really good mechanic to fix these kinds of intermittent problems permanently.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the input I think I will start with just disconnecting the wires where they were burn't before that will only cause me to loose the lights up the left side of the unit in the middle and front and see what happens next. I opened the junction box back up and the wiring there is good and tight.
1977 Honda Gold Wing GL1000
2003 Yamaha Kodiak 400
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #5

I had a similar issue with a vehicle where the lights would go off and on. Circuit breaker was auto reset type. Not one dealership or mechanic could find it. I finally discovered the wire to the tag light had rubbed through, intermittently touching the frame.

I would bet you have a screw through a wire or a pinched wire at or downstream from the trouble found at the factory. Process of elimination is a good choice.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #6

something to consider, lose or bad connections for the ground will cause lots of crazy problems as well.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
Appears the wires are loose or rubbing, Electrical Wire shorts can be hard to find so if you have any idea where its coming from continue with disconnecting the lights one by one, usually the wire that gets hot or burnt is where the problem is, a component or the wire itself may be grounded, if you suspect the wire follow it downstream and disconnect it, run new wire outside of trailer shell temporary to both disconnected parts= if problem goes away, run new wire by soldering new wire to the old (make connection as small as possible) and pull out the old, re-solder and pull it back through, attach the new wire. you could do voltage drop and ground resistance checks also to locate problem but its time consuming. Hope this helps
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light