Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2019, 10:20 PM   #1

RV & Honda eu2000i question.

We have a 2018 Flagstaff 831CLBSS and have the residential fridge powered by the inverter off of 2 12 volt batteries when camping at the National Forest campgrounds.

Our RV is 50 amp service capable, and has the WFCO converter model WF-8930/50. I am looking into the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V Inteli-Power 4600 Series Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard as a replacement unit.

But until then, we have 2 of the Honda eu2000i generators, one of them is the companion model.

Question is, can I use one generator to power the RV as normal, by the original power cord & the 30 to 50 amp dog bone. And one generator to power a separate more adequate 12 volt battery charger connected directly to the batteries? At least for the first 3-4 hours of charge time??

& can I run both chargers at the same time?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Gary.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZR View Post
We have a 2018 Flagstaff 831CLBSS and have the residential fridge powered by the inverter off of 2 12 volt batteries when camping at the National Forest campgrounds.

Our RV is 50 amp service capable, and has the WFCO converter model WF-8930/50. I am looking into the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V Inteli-Power 4600 Series Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard as a replacement unit.

But until then, we have 2 of the Honda eu2000i generators, one of them is the companion model.

Question is, can I use one generator to power the RV as normal, by the original power cord & the 30 to 50 amp dog bone. And one generator to power a separate more adequate 12 volt battery charger connected directly to the batteries? At least for the first 3-4 hours of charge time??

Gary.

A qualified yes on first question, which is; Will you be attempting to run an A/C unit with one H2000? Your 2000 may not handle it. If not, one 2000 should handle the TT needs (sans an A/C).

Yes on the portable battery charger. But turn the TT's current charger off, It is not needed and the power to run it can go elsewhere. Take care to not overcharge.

I operate similarly but with a 2000 linked to a 2200. Not because I need it because but because that is what I have.

I too am looking into adding PD charging unit. Then I just might let one genny do it all

Mke
mjacxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

If the converter is putting out 13 or more volts (bulk vs other) then the battery charger will read that voltage and not kick on, or just at a low charge rate. I don't think two chargers (the converter is a charger) in parallel will work.Talk to Randy at Bestconverter.com, he can advise you on converters
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #4

It takes a really big battery charger to provide more charging than a converter.

Wouldn't hooking up the Honda's to the tt direct charge better?
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
It takes a really big battery charger to provide more charging than a converter.

Wouldn't hooking up the Honda's to the tt direct charge better?
X2. One Honda will run pretty much everything except the a/c. Of course big energy draws like micro, coffee pot, hair dryer, can only run one at a time.
We frequently have the converter charging, lights, fan, TV, and stereo all running simultaneously off of one Honda 2000 in eco mode. If we want to run a big appliance also, I will either turn off eco mode or start the other 2000 up.
I've never thought a portable charger was worth carrying around. The charge difference between them and the converter isn't enough.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacxx View Post
A qualified yes on first question, which is; Will you be attempting to run an A/C unit with one H2000? Your 2000 may not handle it. If not, one 2000 should handle the TT needs (sans an A/C).

Yes on the portable battery charger. But turn the TT's current charger off, It is not needed and the power to run it can go elsewhere. Take care to not overcharge.

I operate similarly but with a 2000 linked to a 2200. Not because I need it because but because that is what I have.

I too am looking into adding PD charging unit. Then I just might let one genny do it all

Mke
I would not be running the A/C while on generator power.

Would it be safe to run one generator to the RV while the battery is disconnected by the main disconnect. And then charge the batteries with the separate charger?

I agree this is probably more trouble than it would be worth. Probably just order the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V unit and save a lot of headache.

Gary.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
Site Team

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but you are introducing a lot of additional work, equipment and potential for a problem. Why not simply connect the two generators in parallel and run RV via the 30A plug.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but you are introducing a lot of additional work, equipment and potential for a problem. Why not simply connect the two generators in parallel and run RV via the 30A plug.
Agreed.
I successfully recharge my batteries via a generator using the on-board WFCO converter and it does quite well for our purpose.

Can you change out the WFCO to a PD converter?... sure.
Could you disconnect the battery and use a stand alone charger?... sure.
Do you 'need' to... no.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Gary.
I'm just curious about your concerns of running a/c on generator?
Old 07-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacxx View Post

Mke
Quote:

Would it be safe to run one generator to the RV while the battery is disconnected by the main disconnect. And then charge the batteries with the separate charger?

I agree this is probably more trouble than it would be worth. Probably just order the Progressive Dynamics PD4635V unit and save a lot of headache.

Gary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm just curious about your concerns of running a/c on generator?
Scott, I believe the OP was merely answering (qualifying) mjacxx's question of whether they planned to use the A/C while on one generator while attempting to do other things.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Scott, I believe the OP was merely answering (qualifying) mjacxx's question of whether they planned to use the A/C while on one generator while attempting to do other things.
That could be one interpretation of his statement, if you take the thread context. But there is no mention in that sentence/paragraph of using one, two, or larger generators. I just think a blunt statement like that needs clarifying/expansion.
But I have been accused of over/under thinking
Old 07-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That could be one interpretation of his statement, if you take the thread context. But there is no mention in that sentence/paragraph of using one, two, or larger generators. I just think a blunt statement like that needs clarifying/expansion.
But I have been accused of over/under thinking
Agreed, without quoting the text I'm simply making an assumption too... oh boy!

Old 07-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #13

I would double check your part number for the converter. The 4635 is a 35 amp model.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:

Gary.
Hook the Honda's in Parallel and plug the Companion one into your regular Shore Power port. If you are running the AC then start both of them. If you are only using one to power the Refrigerator and charge the batteries then just start the Companion. The Converter that you have will do the job nicely.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #15

OK, sorry I didn't explain my original problem that prompted my questions very well.

The A/C has nothing to do with my issues.

The issue is from the residential refrigerator. It is 110-115 Volt only and gets that from the inverter via the 2 12 volt batteries. It drains the batteries in one night, and I need more of a boost in charging the batteries back up. If I keep at least one generator running during the allowed times, it will get the batteries back up enough to get me through the next night. But that means if we go away from the RV to see or do anything in the area, then I can't / don't / won't, leave the generators running while we are away.

So, I'm looking at the best way to boost my charging rate, and get the batteries back up enough to get me through the next night in the least amount of generator run time.

Thanks for the inputs, always good to hear new thoughts.

Gary.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #16

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification and getting us back on track.
My Dad had the same problem with his residential fridge. He ended up putting in four batteries so he could at least go a full day while camping. He also upgraded his truck charging capabilities while towing, so after a long day of driving the batteries were not dead. But he still had the problem of recharging while camping, especially with 4 batteries now instead of 2. He ran his generator a lot
We, as a family, boondock most of the time. So he looked into solar and a better converter/wiring to lessen the time on generator. Expensive. But he was going to do it.
Then the refrigerator failed, they had to remove a slide to replace it, he got frustrated and traded it for another RV with a standard RV 2 way fridge.
End of long story.
Good luck
Old 07-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #17

Yep, I hope we didn't make a mistake going with the residential refrigerator. We won't be doing a lot of camping without shore power. But like to have the option to use the National Forest campgrounds occasionally.

Thanks, Gary.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:20 PM   #18

We are also looking into going with 2 6 volt batteries instead of the 2 12 volt ones.

Gary.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Yep, I hope we didn't make a mistake going with the residential refrigerator. We won't be doing a lot of camping without shore power. But like to have the option to use the National Forest campgrounds occasionally.

Thanks, Gary.
Since we dry camp a lot, we would NEVER have a residential fridge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:45 PM   #20

I don't have a residential fridge and based on all the issues I hear about them I don't plan to have one. I'm curious about something that maybe y'all can answer.

If the RV is not connected to shore power then apparently the fridge is powered by the batteries via the inverter...right? Now, once shore power is connected it seems logical that the inverters, since they are no longer needed, would drop off line and the external power, or the onboard generator, would provide the ac needed for the fridge. Is that correct?

So, if that's the case then the fridge is running off shore power while the converter is supplying charging for the batteries. If that's all correct I don't see a problem for the OP. When at the RV just run the generators (or shore power) all the time so that when one does leave the unit the batteries are fully charged upon departure and should last long enough to power the fridge until arrive back at the RV.