Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 10:08 PM   #21

installation before the transfer switch protects the transfer switch. normally the higher end generators (inverter type) have electronic controls in them that provide power within specs. I have my ems before the generator. the advantage I could see for putting it after the generator is that you could monitor the actual load the generator was supplying. as far as installing it yourself, that kind of depends on you. there is absolutely nothing complicated about installing it. but you do need some cable (you might be able to cut it off your incoming power cord) and you need access to where you are going to install it. if you can cut and strip wires and can read the instructions you can do it. again nothing complicated, just read the instructions, plan it out, and then take you time and be careful. it's up to you and how confident you feel.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:47 PM   #22
Always Learning

Here it is, from No Shock Zone:
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone
Old 09-30-2016, 01:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
The difference of opinion of the Progressive Industries EMS "Won't Work with Generators" may be because some are talking about a portable generator supplying a trailer and others are talking about an on-board generator that supplies a motorhome through a transfer switch.

The on-board Onan generator on our Sunseeker 3100 supplies power just fine through the factory automatic transfer switch, then through a hard-wired PI EMS-30C.
Bingo, Looks like you hit the nail on the head... I don't know of anybody but saying that there maybe someone who installed a ATS when they use a portable generator. I guess the best is just call the Manufacturer of the onboard generator and ask if has a bonded neutral. It seems to me that two members say they have no problem with it wired that way. I can see a Honda or something not working but I would think (and that is dangerous) that an on board generator would come bonded.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 AM   #24

I have looked up the installation instructions, that PI claims and states there hard wire system can be wired in after the ATS as the OP asked. Please see the attached:...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf After ATS PI.pdf (385.9 KB, 25 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:27 AM   #25
Citrus County, Fl.

This is exactly how mine is wired. I am still not clear what is meant by "won't work". Most of the time when traveling, unless it is a short run, we have the generator on so we can use the air conditioning and keep the coach cool. Many trips it is running for 6-7 hours at a time and we have never had any issues.

The only suggestions I would have are to: 1) periodically (I do it every six months) pull the cover off the transfer switch and make sure the lugs are tight so there are no loose connections and 2) If all of your electronics are under the bed, like ours is, would be to install a smoke alarm with a 10 year lithium battery in case there ever is a short under there.

The only difference I have seen is instead of 60 cycles it is sometimes 61. The incoming voltage is usually better than most RV parks shore power.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:48 AM   #26
Full-time 5'er

Great comments. This has been helpful. I called both Forest River and PI. Turns out the onboard ONAN generator on my 2016 XLR THUNDERBOLT is neutral grounded. PI said they put the "after ATS" instructions in their install guide for customers who are viabke for that option. The tech at PI also recommended installing the EMS before the ATS to avoid damage to ATS in the event of a REALLY BIG surge.
I am installing myself. I had to buy 8' of 8 gauge 4 conductor cable. Im removing existing cable from wall socket (shore power) and running that to OUTPUT of EMS. Im running new cable from wall socket to INPUT of EMS. This is what PI suggested to avoid cutting cable and messing around with ATS connections.
I will post reply when install is successfully completed.
mnolasco is offline   Reply With Quote