Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

RV vs Tender Charging while in Storage.

I have a 2016 2702WS. I just moved storage to a place that has 120/15 power for every unit. I would like to keep the battery on charge.

Can I use the RV power plug with a prong adapter to keep the battery charged. I am not even sure if this will work. I see other units at the storage facility plugged in. Should I have any concerns with the entire trailer being plugged in for extended periods in storage.
-or-
Should I get a separate tender to connect directly to the battery?

TIA
TysonTDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I have used the converter only since the camper was new 7 years ago.
The two OEM DEKA DC-24s just won't die.
I have had a pair of Vmaxtanks (https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Vma...+cycle+12+volt) in my wish list for when they finally give up the ghost.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

I would measure the battery voltage after at least 2 days (you can wait longer without harm). If your converter is working correctly, the voltage should drop to 13.2V. If it stays at 13.6 or 13.7V (like mine did) the converter is not working correctly, and you will eventually start boiling your battery water away.

The converter needs at least 44 hours at a constant low current (fully charged batteries) before it drops into trickle charge mode (13.2V). Some WFCO converters just will never trickle charge (like mine).

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame (replaced WFCO 8735 converter with PD 4135)
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, storage