Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2022, 08:51 PM   #1

Sabre 37FBT Batteries not charging

I’m new to this so I’m not sure if there is something that I am overlooking.

The battery switch is turned to the on position. The wave inverter is on to the preinstalled solar panels. When we plug the 7point into the truck, everything works perfectly. After disconnecting from the truck, the batteries last only 5-10 minutes.

I know it would help to plug in the 50amp, but we don’t have access to this at this time. We’re trying to learn how to use the batteries for just the basics so that we can boondock, but can’t get the batteries to run for more than 5-10 minutes.

Anything helps! THank you!
Kvickers96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 01:26 AM   #2

First, stop trying to use the batteries to run the rig. The more you run down the batteries, the less chance you have of saving them.
Charging from your truck isn't going to work. It puts out a trickle charge that isn't going to bring that battery back. How much sun are you getting and how long are you charging the batteries?
The chances are that the batteries may be dead or unable to hold a charge. Have you done any maintenance on those batteries? That's not a judgement, many people don't know how to maintain batteries on an rv.
Unless you have an upgraded solar panel and batteries, you're probably not going to be able to boondock with that rig. A generator would allow you to boondock and keep the appliances, furnace, ac and lights running (although not at the same time)
Old 01-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Provide a little info to help get the best answers. What size are your solar panels? What type and number of batteries are you running? With the batteries disconnected what voltage do you read (not the lights but actual voltage with a multimeter). Do you have any 110v available either generator or shore power? I think I would charge the batteries to 100% using either generator or shore power then place a load test on them to see if they are shot. then proceed from there. Keep the forum informed of what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 02:04 PM   #4

Ditto sea dog.

Too many possibilities. Got to narrow it down.

Do you have a battery monitor. A necessity for boondocking.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvickers96 View Post
I’m new to this so I’m not sure if there is something that I am overlooking.

The battery switch is turned to the on position. The wave inverter is on to the preinstalled solar panels. When we plug the 7point into the truck, everything works perfectly. After disconnecting from the truck, the batteries last only 5-10 minutes.

I know it would help to plug in the 50amp, but we don’t have access to this at this time. We’re trying to learn how to use the batteries for just the basics so that we can boondock, but can’t get the batteries to run for more than 5-10 minutes.

Anything helps! THank you!

Do you have access to any 110VAC? If so, get some adapters and plug that RV in. a 15 amp outlet will run your lights and charge your batteries if the water heater and refig is off. If your batteries are toast, in starting inrush of current may trip a 15 amp breaker. Pull your batteries and have them load tested at an auto parts house. Be sure you label, take photos ect of what wire is attached to what post if you pull them.

Be sure and let the rest of us know what and how you get well on this project.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charging, sabre