Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #1

Scare light bulb replacement

Went to change the bulb in the big round scare light on the top front exterior corner of our 2012 Flagstaff 8528 RKWS 5th wheel and found all the lens screw holes filled with caulk or maybe silicone. Anybody know the best way to get to the bulb?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8FE35D42-8949-41B1-BF1B-983028803403.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	205325  
Flightcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

Wow. Why would someone do that?

The back is solid metal with two holes for the wire to go through. Typically, inside the wall there are a couple of wire nuts. You can disconnect the fixture there.

I'd just buy a new one.

You may be able to dig those screws out. However, a new fixture is pretty inexpensive.

Here is an LED version..

RV Trailer Camper 5th Wheel White 8.5" Round Scare Porch 12V LED Light 600 LM Light Only (LED Light) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079SHTJTK..._EB-5Cb8N4RECJ

Don't forget to re-caulk when finished.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #3
D W

Not uncommon from what I've seen. Every screw head on my roof is sealed with either Dicor or Lexel. I imagine the logic is to prevent a leak and/or protect the screw head from rusting.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Not uncommon from what I've seen. Every screw head on my roof is sealed with either Dicor or Lexel. I imagine the logic is to prevent a leak and/or protect the screw head from rusting.
I can see every screw head on a roof being done that way. This is on a sidewall. There is a gasket between the lens and the base to keep it watertight.

My screws are not rusted and the camper is 11yrs old!

Looks like a ploy from the manufacturer to get you to bring it in for service to me....
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #5

Icepick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightcheck View Post
Went to change the bulb in the big round scare light on the top front exterior corner of our 2012 Flagstaff 8528 RKWS 5th wheel and found all the lens screw holes filled with caulk or maybe silicone. Anybody know the best way to get to the bulb?
We have the same light on our 2008 Cherokee 38P. Only half of those depressions actually have holes and screws. Dicor caulk is pretty easy to detach. Just take an icepick and dig it out. You will be able to tell which holes are blind and which actually have screws.

You will probably find Robertson screws. You will need a #2 Robertson (square) bit or screwdriver.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
We have the same light on our 2008 Cherokee 38P. Only half of those depressions actually have holes and screws. Dicor caulk is pretty easy to detach. Just take an icepick and dig it out. You will be able to tell which holes are blind and which actually have screws.

You will probably find Robertson screws. You will need a #2 Robertson (square) bit or screwdriver.

Larry
First time I've seen that type of driver referred to by its proper name by anyone other than a Canadian. Few people know of the origin.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #7

A sharp pointed ice pick is handy for cleaning paint or sealer out of screw head slots/holes.

Along with Patience.

With phillips head fasteners it pays big dividends to make sure the hole is completely cleaned out and you are using the right size/shape bit.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #8

Robertson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
First time I've seen that type of driver referred to by its proper name by anyone other than a Canadian. Few people know of the origin.

Cheers

Robertson is still in operation and has a website listing their history and product offerings. But when I was looking for a reference to stainless-steel Robertson screws in response to a question on this forum, I found that Robertson did not offer them...but Home Depot did.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #9

Mfg doesn’t want to service. Just trying to prevent leak!
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #10

There is nothing wrong with putting sealant on screw heads. Takes a few seconds to remove it with a screwdriver.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
If you reuse the existing light make sure the drain hole for the lens is DOWN. If not it will fill with water. If you replace it look for a drain hole and place it dwon.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:41 PM   #12

All previous comments aside, it took me a while to determine that my rain leak was my top, front, streetside clearance light. Not enough caulk.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #13

Scare light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
Wow. Why would someone do that?

The back is solid metal with two holes for the wire to go through. Typically, inside the wall there are a couple of wire nuts. You can disconnect the fixture there.

I'd just buy a new one.

You may be able to dig those screws out. However, a new fixture is pretty inexpensive.

Here is an LED version..

RV Trailer Camper 5th Wheel White 8.5" Round Scare Porch 12V LED Light 600 LM Light Only (LED Light) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079SHTJTK..._EB-5Cb8N4RECJ

Don't forget to re-caulk when finished.
For the price, that looks like the way to go. Should have a new fixture from Amazon this afternoon. Thanks for the info.
Flightcheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, replacement