Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

school me on my 50a service

The new trailer is the first we have had with 50a service. I know how the pedital is wired and I know how the trailer is wired. What I dont understand is how it goes from a 4 prong with 2 hot legs,nuetral and ground on the pedistal to a 3 prong twist lock on the trailer.My educated guess is that there is no ground to the trailer?
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Site Team

The ground isn't on a prong so to speak , but is a tab on the side of the twistlock that the ground wire is connected to in the cord. Hold on and I'll get you a pic

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #3

The brass part is the ground.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Here you go. You can see the ground tab is on the side of the twistlock, and you will also have a corresponding tab inside your receptacle on the RV.

Looking at the 50A 3-prong locking pic....The X and Y are your 120 volt legs, the W is your neutral, and the G is your ground on the side.
Attached Images

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

OK,I went out and looked closer inside the trailer receptical,and there it is.I couldnt understand how they could not have a dedicated ground since the trailer is basically a sub panel off the service (pedistal) And as such requires a dedicated earth ground! Thanks!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
OK,I went out and looked closer inside the trailer receptical,and there it is.I couldnt understand how they could not have a dedicated ground since the trailer is basically a sub panel off the service (pedistal) And as such requires a dedicated earth ground! Thanks!
You are welcome

P.S. I like Capers real pics of the twistlock better than mine.

Tags
service