Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
DeOxit... in the trailer... I spray the pedestal, the trailer 110 VAC connections AND the trailer plugs before every trip... keeps bad connection problems from happening.
I learned something today. Thanks.

Researching this on Amazon, I find that the manufacturer makes a wide range of products that may be useful: https://caig.com

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengdave View Post
Cheaper than what I paid at O'Reilly 's. I paid almost $20...

I am also using a dielectric grease on the terminals....

I too put dielectric grease on all of my connectors (Trucks and Trailers), at the end of the season. Keeps the water and ice off/out during the winter and then lasts throughout the summer.
CURT 51180 Echo Bluetooth Brake Controller (Love it!).
2004 Ford F-150 STX 4X4 Tow Package, 273K For Pulling TT in the sand.
SetauketJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Cheaper than what I paid at O'Reilly 's. I paid almost $20...

I find it interesting how the term "dielectric" has become common when someone wants to improve conductivity in an electrical connection.

By definition a "dielectric" is an insulator, incapable of transmitting electricity.

FWIW, there are many CONDUCTIVE greases on the market that actually improve the conductivity between sliding connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-.../dp/B00SMRNSR0

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I find it interesting how the term "dielectric" has become common when someone wants to improve conductivity in an electrical connection.

By definition a "dielectric" is an insulator, incapable of transmitting electricity.

FWIW, there are many CONDUCTIVE greases on the market that actually improve the conductivity between sliding connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-.../dp/B00SMRNSR0

di·e·lec·tric

/ˌdīəˈlektrik/
Learn to pronounce

Physics
adjective
adjective: dielectric

1. having the property of transmitting electric force without conduction; insulating.

noun
noun: dielectric; plural noun: dielectrics

a medium or substance that transmits electric force without conduction; an insulator.

So it transmits without conduction...... Sounds like an ESP Medium. Have been using this on the ends of spark plug wires for years, and now on the ends of coil packs. Addendum: Added to the boot, not the conductor!
Old 09-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetauketJeff View Post
a medium or substance that transmits electric force without conduction; an insulator.

So it transmits without conduction...... Sounds like an ESP Medium.
This is the property of a dielectric that makes it an integral part of a capacitor. Allows electrical energy to be stored on the plates of a capacitor without actually conducting.

Capacitors only pass AC current, not DC. Electrons flow in and out on the same side of the capacitor. Kind of like water flowing into an accumulator and then flowing back out when the pressure drops on the input side.

Capacitors are often used to block the flow of DC current and only allow the flow of AC current, usually at high frequencies like RF.

Since we are only concerned with DC current flow in the case of a 7-Pin connector, use of a dielectric grease is counterintuitive. That said, it will prevent corrosion which will at least keep the conductivity from getting worse.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #46

Quote:
use of a dielectric grease is counterintuitive. That said, it will prevent corrosion which will at least keep the conductivity from getting worse.
you hit the nail on the head... PREVENT CORROSION is the property that users count on when using grease... grease does not IMPROVE conductivity like the Deoxit spray I mentioned earlier does... which actually chemically removes oxidation ( corrosion) of the conductors then leaves a little oil to keep the contacts from corroding

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think they stated why they're using dielectric grease on the terminals...did they? Just that they're using it. It's common to use dielectric grease to help prevent corrosion due to moisture and also helps keep other contaminants out which in turn helps prevent connection problems. Dielectric grease is used to ensure no voltage leaks from one pin to another via the grease.

You know what they say about assumptions...
Old 09-29-2020, 12:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I don't think they stated why they're using dielectric grease on the terminals...did they? Just that they're using it. It's common to use dielectric grease to help prevent corrosion due to moisture and also helps keep other contaminants out which in turn helps prevent connection problems. Dielectric grease is used to ensure no voltage leaks from one pin to another via the grease.

You know what they say about assumptions...
Trust me, people are using it on the terminals themselves.

No assumption, just years of actual observation. I've seen trailer connectors on cars, pickups, and semi's with all kinds of greases on them. Chassis grease, Silicone "dielectric" grease, and even White Lithium Grease. Just stuffed in the openings and then plugged into the socket.

On the bright side I've also seen people use WD-40 and "de-oxide" electrical contact cleaners formulated for this task.

FWIW, the reason most get away with "greasing" the contacts is that much of the grease is actually wiped away and contact is still make. Fine for low current lighting applications but where more current is desired/required like the charging and electric brake lines, that's where problems usually arise. Ditto for the ground which is carrying both charging AND braking current.

Personally I clean the contacts on both plug and socket using a tool set designed for the purpose and then apply a product named "N0-Ox-Id". Bought a tube on Amazon that should last me the rest of my days for ~$16 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/NO-OX-ID-Tube.../dp/B00HSW341A

Here's what they say about it:

Quote:
NO-OX-ID is an electrically conductive grease that keeps metals free from rust and corrosion. ... NO-OX-ID electrical grease prevents the formation of oxides, sulfides and other corrosion deposits on copper, aluminum, and steel surfaces and conductors.
FWIW, I also use it on all the 12 V ground connections to the frame that are exposed to the elements.

FWIW, the dielectric greases pushed by the Auto Parts stores are for spark plug boots and for the cam in a distributor when equipped with points/condenser.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:13 PM   #49

Quote:
Trust me, people are using it on the terminals themselves.

No assumption, just years of actual observation. I've seen trailer connectors on cars, pickups, and semi's with all kinds of greases on them. Chassis grease, Silicone "dielectric" grease, and even White Lithium Grease. Just stuffed in the openings and then plugged into the socket.
Yes assumptions, and dielectric grease is used for the reasons I listed. You are still making the assumption that they are trying to improve conductivity and keep dismissing that it's used to help prevent corrosion of the pins and instead MAINTAIN PROPER conductivity (Note both words there as they are both important). Perhaps this will help you understand or correct misunderstandings...

Quote:
Insulating and Conducting Grease

Both dielectric grease and "conductive" greases (anti-seize) are insulators. The primary difference between dielectric greases and "conductive" greases is that "conductive" greases and anti-seize greases include some amount of finely-powdered metal. The finely powdered metal is suspended by insulating grease, so it does not conduct. The suspended metal powder does lower the voltage breakdown of any arc paths through the grease.

Articles claim sparkplug threads are insulated by anti-seize, causing sparkplug or ignition fault indications. This is obviously wrong for several reasons, most predominantly because of voltages and currents involved. I suspect the real problem was anti-seize contaminated the plug insulator. Tests here show anti-seize and other metal-loaded "conductive greases" reduce high voltage breakdown voltages of air paths or surface path resistances of insulators significantly. Fingerprints on, or worse yet slathering of "conductive grease" on insulators or insulation, seriously degrades high voltage hold off. "Conductive" grease could trigger an ignition misfire warning code if a single fingerprint bridges the spark plug insulator.

Other articles tell people to use conductive grease on connections, such as between battery terminals and an automotive battery. Tests show this claim is completely wishful thinking, and the type of grease has virtually no impact on terminal-to-post voltage drop.

Again, we have a direct contradiction. People reporting anti-seize insulates a spark plug from the cylinder head are calling people liars who report conductive grease enhances a battery terminal connection, or vice versa. Generally, when two groups provide exactly opposite claims, at least one notion or claim is wrong. In this case, both are wrong. Neither group appears to understand resistance, current, and voltage.

All of these dielectric greases, and virtually all from other manufacturers, both improve insulation and preserve electrical connections. They do this by sealing contaminants, moisture, and air out of connections. They also seal insulators, keeping moisture and contaminants out of insulation. They are as effective at preserving connections as "conductive" grease, and will not harm insulation.
A manufacturer of dielectric grease says the following...

Quote:
Use dielectric grease on spark plug wires and trailer hitch connections to prevent fusing.
The more you know...
Old 09-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #50

WD-40 to get further off topic

I have found that most people misuse WD-40. As mentioned WD-40 is a CLEANER, not a lubricant. The WD stands for Water Displacement, the 40 for formula 40 (some think the 40th iteration of the product in the design lab).

Use this to clean components, free up rust, dry. And yes, some items sprayed with it do feel smoother and "slipperyer" after use, but that's just a by-product of cleaning and some of the chemicals in it.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #51

Dielectric Grease Use

I use it for two purposes:

1) Keep moisture out.

2) Keep parts (especially plastic and rubber parts) from sticking to other parts.

Don't use silicone lube for this, as silicone lube can breakdown plastics and rubbers over time.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #52

WD-40

Quote:
Use this to clean components, free up rust, dry. And yes, some items sprayed with it do feel smoother and "slipperyer" after use, but that's just a by-product of cleaning
YES, I used to use WD-40 to lubricate, like a screen door hinge, but over the years found that while it will stop the squeak for a day or a week, soon the problem will be back when the WD-40 evaporates... now I use it to flush grease or dirt from surfaces

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, trailer