Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

Shore power problem in 2011 Sunseeker 3170

Looks like I may have taken a surge while plugged into shore power. There have been thunderstorms in the area, so a surge from that is a definite possibility. Male 30 Amp plug was melted a bit at the base of one contact and much corrosion on contacts. Replaced male plug, and all A/C systems in rig work.

But.... batteries under the steps don't charge when plugged into shore power and lights are dim. I'm new to this rig, and don't know exactly how it is wired. Batteries charged when I drove it, so batteries aren't bad. All systems work well on the generator and lights are brighter.

Based on all this, I'm assuming the power converter that runs the 12 V systems and charges the batteries from shore power has been fried. I'm assuming the 55Amp power converter that is next to shore power line in the undercarriage is what I should be looking at. It feels warm to touch when plugged in. Both 35A fuses are still good.

I'd welcome any input on my diagnoses. Is the power converter easy to swap out?

Many thanks in advance - heading out with the kids on a three week trip next Friday and hoping to resolve this quickly.
Andersunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #2

Your converter is still in the system when you are switched over to generator. A warm converter is normal.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #3

I read a bunch of related threads regarding the converter. From those threads I gleaned that my WFCO converter is not very reliable (putting it kindly based on other's posts), and it has a fan that is supposed to run. Never heard the fan run - I've only had the rig for 5 months, but sure haven't heard it when I've been trying to figure out what's wrong over the past few days.

Put a voltmeter across the terminals on the converter. Nothing.

Got adventurous and starter taking things apart. I'm usually paranoid about taking thing apart, but was surprised at how simple this system is. Had to pull out some spray foam insulation to get the converter plug through the hole in the floor, but was able to get it out in about 5 minutes. Plugged it in in the house. No fan, no voltage. Sad that it broke, but darn glad that it is not a crazy complicated fix.

I'm ordering a Progressive Dynamics 70 amp converter based on all the related threads that I read. Hopefully that does the trick. I'll report back.

I'm new to this forum, but very happy to have such a wealth of information. Thanks to all those that posted about their problems in the past!
Old 05-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

If you have a coach storage switch and set it to storage mode while hooked to shore power/genny running the lights should have gone out. That would be an indication of a failed converter or its interconnect circuitry. Maybe you don't have a storage switch though. Sounds as though you have isolated the issue to the converter.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

I don't think I have a storage switch. If I do, I would love to know where it is. I'm learning as I go. The "manual" that I have doesn't provide me with a heck of a lot of insight.

I am assuming that if I plug in the converter and it doesn't put out any voltage on the terminals, it has to be the problem. Of course, I understand that it might just be the first problem that gets solved and there may be additional issues. However, I'm optimistic as the batteries seem to charge off the alternator when I drive, and everything seems to work well in the 12 V system when the batteries have charge.

Amazon promises to get my new converter to me before we head out next week. Fingers are crossed.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

If you have a storage switch it would be located at your step well. The later models do have one and have seen it on some of your vintage. Good day.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:01 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
and this is 1 reason why we need to have a surge protector
Old 05-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #8

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I fully agree with JK31668,,,,,get a surge protector.....and absolute must!!! It not only protects you from surges,,,,,but it will protect your appliances from brown outs,,,,which is very detrimental to motors, circuit boards, etc. The surge protector is a wonderful investment and "I wouldn't leave home without mine."
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #9

Our 2011 Sunseeker has a battery disconnect switch beside the stepwell. It has to be on for the convertor to charge the coach batteries. Turn it off when in storage or when sitting without shore power for a few days so the small parasitic loads such as the LP/CO detector don't drain the batteries.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #10

The convertor fan only comes on when it's under a significant load. It would be normal for the fan to not run when plugged in but with nothing connected, so that alone does not tell you if the convertor is bad.

Have you checked all the receptacles? The convertor is fed by one of the 15 amp breakers that also feeds several receptacles.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #11

I did check the breakers before I pulled the converter. Good to know that the fan only runs under significant load. I was convinced the converter was bad when I didn't register any voltage across the terminals with it plugged in. After I pulled it from the coach, I plugged it into an outlet in my house, and still got no voltage, so pretty confident that is the problem (or at least part of the problem).

My wife and I were talking about a surge suppressor, and I'm now sold on the idea. Thank you for the helpful link for that.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #12

I installed the new converter (Progressive Dynamics (PD9270V) 70 Amp Power Converter) and also bought a Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System. After the converter replacement, all seems to work well. No more lights dimming and the battery indicator shows fully charged, which it hadn't before. Was lucky to have my 14-year old to help with installation - I don't fit into some of the spaces.

I will note that the surge suppressor (Portable Electrical Management System) has a 2 min 18 sec power-up delay. It made me think it didn't work at first, but I just didn't understand that it wouldn't pass any power through to the 30 Amp cord until after that delay.

Heading out on Friday with hopes that all is well.

Andersunseeker
Old 05-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersunseeker View Post
I installed the new converter (Progressive Dynamics (PD9270V) 70 Amp Power Converter) and also bought a Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System. After the converter replacement, all seems to work well. No more lights dimming and the battery indicator shows fully charged, which it hadn't before. Was lucky to have my 14-year old to help with installation - I don't fit into some of the spaces.

I will note that the surge suppressor (Portable Electrical Management System) has a 2 min 18 sec power-up delay. It made me think it didn't work at first, but I just didn't understand that it wouldn't pass any power through to the 30 Amp cord until after that delay.

Heading out on Friday with hopes that all is well.

Andersunseeker
Did you get the charge wizard for the progressive dynamics converter?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Did you get the charge wizard for the progressive dynamics converter?

TURBS
2015 camping "9 nights"
Yes. I think that the Charge Wizard corresponds to the on-board controller that switches between a really fast 14+ V recharge, a 13.6 V steady recharge, and a slightly lower voltage maintenance mode.

The controller I got also came with the "Charger Status Remote Pendant" (I actually ordered another one as I didn't realize it was included - will return the extra). I hooked that up to the converter and the pendant is currently poking out from under the bed. It was flashing quickly when I had the converter in use, which I understand to correspond to the 13.6 V charge mode. That was another reassurance that things were working correctly.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersunseeker View Post
Yes. I think that the Charge Wizard corresponds to the on-board controller that switches between a really fast 14+ V recharge, a 13.6 V steady recharge, and a slightly lower voltage maintenance mode.

The controller I got also came with the "Charger Status Remote Pendant" (I actually ordered another one as I didn't realize it was included - will return the extra). I hooked that up to the converter and the pendant is currently poking out from under the bed. It was flashing quickly when I had the converter in use, which I understand to correspond to the 13.6 V charge mode. That was another reassurance that things were working correctly.
Yes the pendant is what I speak of.
Good job!

TURBS
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 3170, power, sunseeker