Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2024, 02:14 PM   #1

Should I Charge New Lithium Battery before Insalling

I just purchased a Lithium Battery to replace my Lead Acid. The battery was delivered with 13.21 V and the instructions say to charge to full before putting a load on it. My question is, is it ok to let the RVs Solar Controller or AC Charger charge it or should I charge it before installing? Both the controller and charger have lithium settings.
FPSHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:38 PM   #2

It doesn't care what charges it.
Twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHILL View Post
I just purchased a Lithium Battery to replace my Lead Acid. The battery was delivered with 13.21 V and the instructions say to charge to full before putting a load on it. My question is, is it ok to let the RVs Solar Controller or AC Charger charge it or should I charge it before installing? Both the controller and charger have lithium settings.
There are two considerations. If only one battery you should fully charge it before loading so it has fully balanced cells.

If more than one battery to be connected in parallel each battery should be fully charged before connecting. This prevents large voltage differences between batteries which could leadvto arcing and possible damage to batteries.

If dealing with multiple batteries to be connected in parallel, and no standalone charger available, measuring voltage of each battery is necessary. If voltage is within .050mv -(per most mfr's) for ea battery they can be connected as is.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHILL View Post
Since it is a single-battery system, install the battery and allow the system, solar and converter, to fully charge it before putting a load on it.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 04:26 PM   #5

Batteries in parallel will always balance, no need to charge each one seperate.

Series cells need individual charging and that's what the BMS handles.
Twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 05:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinboat View Post
Batteries in parallel will always balance, no need to charge each one seperate.

Series cells need individual charging and that's what the BMS handles.

Connect two lifepo4 batteries with significant SOC difference in parallel and you will see heavy arcing. Most likely make the BMS to shut down battery as current will be excessive.

Lifepo4 batteries are far different than Lead Acid where you can get away with paralleling without caring about SOC differences.

If one doesn't first fully charge separately, then connect a 12v resistive load like a headlamp between both positive posts and just jumper negatives together. Time to equalize charges will vary depending on difference in SOC.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery