Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 06:23 PM   #1

Shunt Location - (should work but doesn't?)

so i picked up a battery monitor ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FGFFHC6...ing=UTF8&psc=1 ) and thought i had the shunt wired properly. the problem was that even after running through the initial setup, the monitor never showed a reduction in AH or battery percentage.

the monitor DID show the amps and volts + and - though (e.g. showed amount of draw when there was one and amount of charge when generator was running).

i had the shunt mounted behind the electric panel. i had removed the battery neg (black line here on upper left of pic) and connected it to the b- terminal on the shunt. i then ran from the p- terminal on the shunt back to the same spot on the panel. (btw - the white line there goes to the converter).

is that not correct wiring? if im forced to connect at the front of the TT near the batteries, it's going to be a total pain running bthe line to the monitor. behind the panel would really be the most preferred option.

any help much appreciated. thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210412_161145.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	251810  
OR_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately there are normally a lot of 'Negative' branches between the power center and the battery, so attaching the shunt where you show will never be accurate. You're going to have to mount the shunt at the battery and run the sense lint to the monitor.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:17 PM   #3

do you know for absolute certainty that the black cable goes directly to the negative terminal of the battery and that there are no other cables connected to the battery negative terminal. my guess is the black cable goes to chassis ground and there are several cables leaving the battery negative terminal.

put the shunt right at the battery! remove all cables from the battery negative terminal and attach them to the non battery side of the shunt. then one and only one cable from the battery side of the shunt to the negative battery terminal. this forces all amperage to travel through the shunt before it is distributed.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
do you know for absolute certainty that the black cable goes directly to the negative terminal of the battery and that there are no other cables connected to the battery negative terminal. my guess is the black cable goes to chassis ground and there are several cables leaving the battery negative terminal.
so the black pictured there goes directly to TT chassis at the back of the rig. the neg cable off batt goes directly to chassis at the front of the rig.

still necessary to connect shunt up at battery as you described?
OR_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #5

As stated above, there are plenty of loads that do not ground through that one cable. The shunt should be at the battery and all trailer side negatives connect to it and only the shunt connects to the battery.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
As stated above, there are plenty of loads that do not ground through that one cable. The shunt should be at the battery and all trailer side negatives connect to it and only the shunt connects to the battery.
It's not necessary to connect all grounds to the shunt as long as only ONE wire goes from battery negative post to chassis ground and the shunt is installed in that wire. Just so nothing goes in or out of the battery unless it passes through the ground wire with shunt installed.

Trying to connect all the devices that use the chassis ground directly to the shunt is a "Mission Impossible".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
It's not necessary to connect all grounds to the shunt as long as only ONE wire goes from battery negative post to chassis ground and the shunt is installed in that wire. Just so nothing goes in or out of the battery unless it passes through the ground wire with shunt installed.

Trying to connect all the devices that use the chassis ground directly to the shunt is a "Mission Impossible".
I reread what I posted and I can see that it could be unclear.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #8

If you are connected to shore power, the charger would keep you from seeing any drop in AH or voltage.
mbbutler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
location, cat