Hello to all,
We are getting our motorhome slowly ready for a trip in mid-November, so I plugged it in using a 120v adapter so the batteries would not drain and charge a little and we continued to clean and do so odds and ends. My wife woke me up this morning and said she thought there was a gas leak in the area. I didn't think much of it and when the gas company showed up he said no gas leak. I decided to check the RV and opened the door to a horrible stink. I first thought it was our holding tank, but there is nothing in it but a little water. After I got to work I told my wife to unplug the cord and here I am. Any thoughts?? All wisdom is greatly appreciated. Also, the house batteries are about a year old.
Brian & Patricia
2009 Georgetown 350 TS
Check the batteries. An overcharged (bad converter charger) or bad battery COULD cause a similar smell and, since you just noticed it after plugging in, I'd start there. If you haven't used the water system in a while, it could be coming from the hot water heater as well.
2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
I have smelled that before, It is most likely your battery is gassing. Are your batteries incased with an outside vent attached? Gassing will corrode any copper wire and anything else around them. Check you water level in them.
Check the batteries! Most likely a cell in the battery has shorted out and when it is being charge a rotten egg smell is present. You can tell which battery it is because when it is being charged, it WILL get hot.
Ed & Ruthann / Toby and Tucker
2014 GMC Sierra Crewcab 2500 Duramax
2014 Wildcat 327ck
Not trying to scare you, but I've personally experienced two cases where lead acid batteries exploded as a result of H2S build-up when a load was applied. One of the batteries had been boiled dry and blew the caps off with the load applied; a car battery I had literally blew the caps and cracked the case when attempting to restart the car after fueling.
As suggested, check all of your batteries to ensure the plates are covered with electrolyte (and ensure the area is well ventilated) prior to attempting to recharge or use the batteries.
The rotten egg smell is an odorant additive in natural gas and propane. check for a leak in your RV's gas system. I had the same issue. It was our gas stove/oven. we replaced the 20+ year old appliance and ended the problem, but you could try tracking-down the leak using a spray bottle with some dish detergent added. You will see the leak when the solution bubbles.
Please please don't delay in fixing the problem. My wife miscarried before we figured it out. We thought it was a stinky holding tank, at first.
I personally experienced this smelling of the rotten eggs camping in our Georgetown 374 last spring..checked for bad sewer connections with me and the neighbors....then checked batteries following looking at the forum...and one of my batteries was steaming ready to explode....disconnected in time and had both replaced as a caution...no problems since,,,,,,nasty situation!