Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2021, 07:33 PM   #1

solar and storage

I have a flagstaff classic 832flsb. i currently have 2 deep cycle batteries on the tongue. i have watched several videos about setting up solar. but i am not sure i have room anywhere to put more batteries. i only have 2 outside storage compartments and the closest one is to small . the other is in the back under the bed. anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-18-2021, 07:55 PM   #2

You do not necessarily need more than your two deep cycle batteries to set up a solar charging system. I have two deep cycle batteries and 200 watts of solar and it works fine for me.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #3

Before worrying about how much solar and number of batteries an inventory of power demands you anticipate is the first step.

If just lights, fans, and sater pump, demand will be minimal and many single battery setups with a 100 watt solar panel might be enough.

If wanting the usual items like stated PLUS wanting to watch TV all day, run microwave off a large Inverter, hair dryer, coffee maker, etc, then lots of solar panels and all the batteries you can carry might be enough.

Start with a good list of power demands then size system accordingly.

Sometimes it's better to just carry a generator and let it do some charging while running A/C.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, storage