Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich.M View Post
Followed your link on the suitcase kit, wow 400 dollars. I would be too worried about it walking away while out hiking or exploring. The 200 watt roof kit at Renogy is now 350.
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-200-wa...r-starter-kit/
It will need upgraded wiring if more panels are going to be added later. Good luck.
Solar ain't cheap. If it were, we'd ALL be doing it.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:01 AM   #22

Hi amperage DC connector for solar?

I like the idea of external panels with an attached charger. I plan to add solar to my rig this summer. I don't want to rework the interior for a charger panel and I have the Furrion connector so it is kind of set up already. However, I expect that I might use say 50Ah a day that will need to be replenished. Judging from what I am reading here that will take at least a 200 watt system. In another post I saw someone estimate that they are charging at 5-6 amps with a 100 W system - assume 12A for the 200W. The Furrion connector is rated at 10 Amps and probably is equipped with a 7A fuse. That isn't going to work. Besides I have a little Honda Gen with a fine 7 stage charger that can put out 40 amps if warranted. I need to connect direct to the batteries with my charger (gen driven or solar) so I need to have a DC via (through the wall) connector that can handle >40A. Is there such a thing? Note. My batteries are under the entry steps so I don't want cables going through the doorway.
Bentspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentspoon View Post
I like the idea of external panels with an attached charger. I plan to add solar to my rig this summer. I don't want to rework the interior for a charger panel and I have the Furrion connector so it is kind of set up already. However, I expect that I might use say 50Ah a day that will need to be replenished. Judging from what I am reading here that will take at least a 200 watt system. In another post I saw someone estimate that they are charging at 5-6 amps with a 100 W system - assume 12A for the 200W.
You are correct on your assessment. Each 100 watt panel will hit 5.5 to 6.5 amps
around noon in full sun . I have a 400 watt system and we hit a little over 24 amps with full sun .

50 Ah per day is average for a rig with propane refer,hot water/pumps,lights. Most who actually use solar and don't overstate their production will agree with 20-25 Ah per 100 watts per day. 200 watts will work on most days for you. 300 would be more reliable for mixed cloud days or partly shaded sites with excess on sunny days. At 400 you can leave your fantastic fans on and windows open during the day, come back to a cool rig and still have full batteries and all electronics charged ( we do this).

Sounds like you will need to re wire your system and forget the installed plug. I took a quick look on the zamp and gopower sites. Their plugs don't go high enough in amps . I guess you could custom adapt something 40 amp rated from home depot and 4 to 6 ga wire to the batteries. You may be able to find a plug to carry the solar more easily than accommodating the Honda at 12 volt. Most would just plug the generator into the 110 system and let the converter do the charging.
You may be better off to just do the roof install now and not worry about handling storing and breaking 200 watts of glass panel. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccontois View Post
Bought an 2017 22RR and would like to know of a decent roof mount solar panel and charge controller.
Renogy has a variety of basic kits if you already know your needs. Great company. Look on their website or Amazon. Gopower and Zamp have kits but tend to be higher priced.
The alternative would be to design your own if you want better mounts, controller ,wiring etc. The reward is a better understanding of the system and 10-20% better performance than a kit.
High grade kits similar to custom can be found at AM Solar on the web.
Good luck.

Tags
charging, solar