Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 05:38 PM   #1

Solar charging

Hello all. i am interested in adding solar to my tt to charge batteries when we don't have connection to electricity. We have a 28 foot tt and would only to need to run a standard rv refrigerator, a couple of LED lights, and occasionally the water pump. We can go 3-4 days on the two batteries we have, but would like to be able to keep the batteries charged while we are camped. We currently have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries that came with the unit when we bought it new. They are lead/acid. I'm looking at a Renogy 200 watt suitcase system so it can be portable. Those of you with solar experience, do you think 200 watts will do what i want?

Read this forum regularly and appreciate all the input!!
SurveyorStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #2

If out in the middle of a field or beach, its a couple is sunny days. and you aim them 200w should work
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #3

Yup, 200 watts should do you just fine.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

I like the ability with a suitcase to follow the sun if I'm in camp otherwise positioning it for the best average exposure/angle.
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Please provide a link for this 200W suitcase. I have a 100W Renogy. It's pretty large. I didn't know they made a 200W suitcase. It must be HUGE!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Please provide a link for this 200W suitcase. I have a 100W Renogy. It's pretty large. I didn't know they made a 200W suitcase. It must be HUGE!
Renogy 200 watt suitcase
Unfolded - 36" x 52"
Folded up - 36" x 26"

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting

Old 03-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #7

https://www.renogy.com/200-watt-12-v...kaApIpEALw_wcB

This one isn't a suit case but a few quick cheap mods and it could be.
Hawkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We are using a 130 Watt Go Power "suitcase" system that we purchased through etrailer. It puts out about 6.7 amps under full sun. Plenty to keep us topped off; at least until the amount of sunlight diminishes in the fall. Then some generator time is required; less sun, more lights, occasional furnace blower. We also use the generator at breakfast and at dinner for the microwave; hair dryer; etc. that require 110V. We have a residential refrigerator that runs off of an inverter.

The Go Power system comes with an adapter that plugs right into the Furrion solar plug with which so many Forest River products are equipped. Most of these pre-wired plugs are rated at 10 amps (and sometimes with a 7.5 amp fuse). So, a system much bigger than 130 watt would require a different approach/connection.

We are clearly solar light-weights but this works for us. We have two Group 27 12V AGM batteries. Total of 185 amp hrs.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
We are using a 130 Watt Go Power "suitcase" system that we purchased through etrailer. It puts out about 6.7 amps under full sun. Plenty to keep us topped off; at least until the amount of sunlight diminishes in the fall. Then some generator time is required; less sun, more lights, occasional furnace blower. We also use the generator at breakfast and at dinner for the microwave; hair dryer; etc. that require 110V. We have a residential refrigerator that runs off of an inverter.

The Go Power system comes with an adapter that plugs right into the Furrion solar plug with which so many Forest River products are equipped. Most of these pre-wired plugs are rated at 10 amps (and sometimes with a 7.5 amp fuse). So, a system much bigger than 130 watt would require a different approach/connection.

We are clearly solar light-weights but this works for us. We have two Group 27 12V AGM batteries. Total of 185 amp hrs.
So, AcadianBob, do you think the 100 watt system would be OK?
Old 03-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #10
Site Team

If you can keep the panels in the sun a good part of the day you should be OK. Just as a clarification, your batteries are most likely dual purpose batteries and not deep cycle. The batteries usually provided by dealers are marine dual purpose batteries. If you boondock often you may want to look at real deep cycle batteries.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Yup, 200 watts should do you just fine.
Thanks for the help boondocking! Do you think the 100 watt system would be enough, or is 200 watts what I need? I'm looking to get answers on sizing this from someone who has used solar. Thanks again
Old 03-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #12
Site Team

Most people underestimate their needs. It is usually less expensive to purchase a 200W system than two 100W systems. Remember you could have 3-4 cloudy rainy days with poor charging.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurveyorStan View Post
Thanks for the help boondocking! Do you think the 100 watt system would be enough, or is 200 watts what I need? I'm looking to get answers on sizing this from someone who has used solar. Thanks again
The reality is that it's all going to depend on the amount of power consumed by the refrigerator. I have a 160 watt "suitcase" that I've modified to feed an MPPT controller (for increased efficiency). It keeps up with the power drawn by my small freezer that I replaced outside kitchen's refrigerator with as well as all the rest of my power use.

Because I use ALL of the power generated by the panels with the MPPT controller, and can move the panels around for max output, 160 watts is more than enough. For others with larger refrigerators and other power draws, 200 watts may be too small especially if panels can't be moved for max output.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #14

Or by PWM over Mppt and the money saved will by an extra 100w panel and you will be ahead of the game.

Small exert below from Bogart Engineering

The “good” for PWM: It is simpler and lower cost technology. Under some common circumstances–it can actually deliver more amps to the battery. That could be when:
(1)days are moderate or warm, with few clouds. (sounds like when I camp)

(2) batteries are charging at over 13 volts, (in a 12 battery system) which they almost always are when actually CHARGING.
(3) Panel voltage is properly matched to the battery voltage, for example “12V” panels are being used with a 12V system.
PWM is actually more “power efficient” than MPPT–which means less total power loss in the controller itself. So heat sinks in the design can be smaller (and less expensive). Missing in most analysis of MPPT is that there is always a conversion loss with MPPT, which tends to be higher the greater the voltage difference between battery and panels. That’s why PWM can actually beat MPPT under circumstances described above.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Or by PWM over Mppt and the money saved will by an extra 100w panel and you will be ahead of the game.

The “good” for PWM: It is simpler and lower cost technology. Under some common circumstances–it can actually deliver more amps to the battery. That could be when:

(2) batteries are charging at over 13 volts, (in a 12 battery system) which they almost always are when actually CHARGING.
(3) Panel voltage is properly matched to the battery voltage, for example “12V” panels are being used with a 12V system.
PWM is actually more “power efficient” than MPPT–which means less total power loss in the controller itself. So heat sinks in the design can be smaller (and less expensive). Missing in most analysis of MPPT is that there is always a conversion loss with MPPT, which tends to be higher the greater the voltage difference between battery and panels. That’s why PWM can actually beat MPPT under circumstances described above.
TowPro, good information. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #16

Quote:
So, AcadianBob, do you think the 100 watt system would be OK?
They are going to give you 5 to 6A if aimed perfectly. For a 5 hour equivalent sun day, that's only 25AH to 30AH.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #17

Do the batteries charge when the inverter is turned off

Hello, I'm new to RV trailers.
I bought a 2020 Geo Pro 19FD and I have the following questions:
When the inverter is turned off do the solar panels still charge the battery?

Does the inverter only convert DC to AC current for the outlets in the trailer?
Thank you!
Chewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post

Yeah...Bogart is basically selling out of date products so of course they will say this. Bogart has been sold and the new owners have no intention of ever updating their products. They can't compete. Even if they develop an MPPT they can't compete with the Chinese MPPT or even Victron controllers. Victron controllers are 98% efficient. You can actually do the calculation yourself by looking at the input power from the solar panel to the voltage and current delivered to the battery.

PWM more efficient than MPPT? LOL

PWM controllers can only deliver the current that the panel puts out. Any voltage difference between the battery charge voltage and the panel voltage is wasted.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #19

Quote:
To give you some idea I do not have a TV or residential fridge, have led lighting, use water pump and charge drone batteries and laptop. My batteries (230 ah) are usually at about 70-75 % charge in the morning and are fully charged by mid afternoon.

I would suggest going with 200 watt, you will be much happier with your set up.

2007 Surveyor SV230

Old 03-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
To give you some idea I do not have a TV or residential fridge, have led lighting, use water pump and charge drone batteries and laptop. My batteries (230 ah) are usually at about 70-75 % charge in the morning and are fully charged by mid afternoon.

I would suggest going with 200 watt, you will be much happier with your set up.
Boondocking, thanks. That's what I was originally thinking to do. I think that's the plan!

Tags
charging, solar