Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2022, 02:08 PM   #1

Solar Charging Battery confusion.

Hello all, new to the forums and to our brand new 202RBLE. The TT came outfitted with solar and at the recommendation of the RV sales people we went with two "golf cart batteries" i believe 2 6V "wet" type batteries (hope that was a good choice). Any who, they mentioned I didn't need to keep the TT plugged in to keep the batteries "topped off" and to just plug it in a couple days before leaving, but I noticed that when I turn the power kill switch to off, the solar keeps the batteries topped off all day every day per the solar control panel inside of the TT. Is that bad for the batteries? I live in Southern California and we never have any shade here (except at night of course ) so that doesn't give the batteries much chance to "deplete" and than "recharge". Sorry for the long post, just don't want my batteries to fail prematurely.
Clg82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #2

That is good for the batteries to be topped up continually.
Mine are charged via solar all summer long and they are still going strong after 9 years.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #3

Led Acid batteries such as yours can be left topped off. Other battery chemistries like lithium need to be occasionally cycled.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi and Welcome to FRF.
It helps if you identify what brand your RV is. Forest River has around 100 different brands. And put your RV's information in your profile or signature.
Also be sure to check out your brand's sub-forum, especially for model-specific information.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Hi and Welcome to FRF.
It helps if you identify what brand your RV is. Forest River has around 100 different brands. And put your RV's information in your profile or signature.
Also be sure to check out your brand's sub-forum, especially for model-specific information.

Will do, thank you. I thought since it was a solar question the solar "section" would be the place to post, so I'll keep my posts more model specific in the sub-forum.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
Led Acid batteries such as yours can be left topped off. Other battery chemistries like lithium need to be occasionally cycled.
So i'm assuming they didn't steer me in the wrong direction when it comes to battery selection then? I read as much as i could muddling thru the FYI battery section.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clg82 View Post
So i'm assuming they didn't steer me in the wrong direction when it comes to battery selection then? I read as much as i could muddling thru the FYI battery section.
You were steered in the right direction when it comes to 6 volt batteries with solar.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting

Old 09-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Will do, thank you. I thought since it was a solar question the solar "section" would be the place to post, so I'll keep my posts more model specific in the sub-forum.
I was suggesting that for future reasons. You posted this in the right place. As a moderator, we try to inform new members on certain things. Having your RV information in your profile or signature, will prevent you from having to post it every time.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 09-27-2022, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
You were steered in the right direction when it comes to 6 volt batteries with solar.
They also may have made mention that they are "golf cart" batteries....any reasoning behind that? Are they actually utilized in golf carts?
Old 09-27-2022, 04:41 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
They also may have made mention that they are "golf cart" batteries....any reasoning behind that? Are they actually utilized in golf carts?
6v golf cart batteries are designed for the kind of power demands a RV will have on the batteries. 12v dual-purpose marine batteries are not good choices, in comparison. You actually were done right, by the dealer.
Suggest that you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life". It's a good primer on the two different RV electrical systems.

Old 09-27-2022, 05:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes, they are used in golf carts.
GC-6 battery - golf cart 6 volt

2007 Surveyor SV230

Old 09-27-2022, 06:07 PM   #12

and make sure you maintain them 6v batteries

every once in a while:
check for that powdery stuff that builds up on the battery posts , clean it off with hot soapy water.

Check acid level .. top up with distilled water (if not sealed type of battery)

do the above and get maximum life out of them
neglect them ..... get out the candles
Old 09-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
and make sure you maintain them 6v batteries

every once in a while:
check for that powdery stuff that builds up on the battery posts , clean it off with hot soapy water.

Check acid level .. top up with distilled water (if not sealed type of battery)

do the above and get maximum life out of them
neglect them ..... get out the candles
You make a great point Aussie! I will have to do some research on how to maintain these batteries so any pointers or videos anyone could throw my way I’d appreciate it.
Old 11-11-2022, 10:40 AM   #14

The more I learn about solar, the more confused I get.
Updating an existing system, it is hard to know which components really need replacing and which can be lived with .
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
The more I learn about solar, the more confused I get.
Updating an existing system, it is hard to know which components really need replacing and which can be lived with .
Having an existing system puts you ahead of the crowd. You have panels, SCC and battery. You know how well the current system meets your needs. Adding panels: new panels need to match the existing voltage/current numbers and can your SCC handle the additional panels. If your panels don't match, I'd keep the existing as is, and get another SCC for the new panels. A LiFePO4 battery can take a charge from the SCC faster than a lead acid battery can.

Tags
battery, charging, solar