Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #1

Solar disconnect switch

I would like to disconnect the solar power before it goes into the mppt controller. Its a 12 v system. Every switch I've seen for sale states a battery disconnect but nothing regarding a disconnect from panels to controller
Has anyone done this and if so what part did you use?
Louisfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #2

I have something similar to this on the positive cables on both sides of the controller (Pv in and Bv out). they can be used as switches when needed. You may know this but some controllers (Renogy for sure) require the panels to be disconnected prior to removing the battery source. As in when replacing batteries for example.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-30...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 10-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
I have something similar to this on the positive cables on both sides of the controller (Pv in and Bv out). they can be used as switches when needed. You may know this but some controllers (Renogy for sure) require the panels to be disconnected prior to removing the battery source. As in when replacing batteries for example.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-30...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
That's a good choice or one of these.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:25 AM   #4

I just used a battery disconnect switch. I bought a few other types first but the connectors on them were garbage and not made for heavier gauge wire.

And being able to turn off the panels is very important. To you and the solar charge controller (SCC). SCCs do not like to have the panels connected first. They have a tough time deciding what to do with all that voltage as they wake up, so sometimes they let the magic blue smoke out of their brains. If you connect to battery power first, they can be ready for the PV power when it comes.

It's important for you if you have larger arrays. I can tell you that 48V @ 9A can be felt, but won't make you cry. 150V @ 20A will. Treat PV wires as you would household 120V wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DC wiring 290RL install.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	264852  
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisfarm View Post
I would like to disconnect the solar power before it goes into the mppt controller. Its a 12 v system. Every switch I've seen for sale states a battery disconnect but nothing regarding a disconnect from panels to controller
Has anyone done this and if so what part did you use?
I installed a 60 Amp inline Circuit Breaker from the solar array to input of the Victron MPPT & the output to the batteries. (as/per Victron recommendations).

Note: the picture below was taken before I upgraded the battery side from (green) 50a to (blue) 60a.

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, switch