Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2022, 02:03 PM   #1

Solar factory installed

All, looking to have the solar panel option added to our order. I believe it’s 190 watt, does anyone know how difficult it is to add more panels? Sunseeker 310ds
Is it plug and play or do you need to run wires down to batteries? Of course they would need to be mounted as well.
Thanks,
scotte303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #2

The factory 190w solar package is the usually the Go Power! Weekender package, comes with the 12v fridge, and is (should be) wired through the charge controller to charge the batteries. (As opposed to the Solar-on-the-side which is solely a proprietary plug that is wired straight to the batteries, and will rely upon a change controller built into portable panels).

The existing y-plug on the roof makes it EASY to add one ADDITIONAL panel to the factory system (for a total of two) - in fact, you should be able to order it from the factory with the second panel, though you can do it yourself after the fact. You can also chain these y-plugs to add more solar, should you decide to do that.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
Open Space Wanted

Do yourself a favor and get the option if you have the chance. Someone's easy isn't the case for many. What you save on hardware costs will eat you up in time and frustration. Plus it should be covered under "warranty" if they do it.

Now if you have nothing else to do and don't mind spending days or weeks on making something "work." Good luck.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #4

I opted for the second panel on my 2109s order. Considering the roof structure and composition, I figured the factory knew much better than I where to affix the fasteners to keep it secured to the roof. And it is covered under warranty.
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:56 PM   #5
Open Space Wanted

Asked FR a couple times if they had any default placement areas or diagrams for the second panel and got no real answer besides the roof.

Actually don't see a good area on my small roof without the AC casting a shadow over a second panel and blocking a pathway to safely walk across.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
Asked FR a couple times if they had any default placement areas or diagrams for the second panel and got no real answer besides the roof.

Actually don't see a good area on my small roof without the AC casting a shadow over a second panel and blocking a pathway to safely walk across.
The DIY approach might be more than you want to tackle, though if you are mechanically adept, it's not that bad. Lots of help is available on the forums. One of many advantages is being able to use the best panel size and layout for walk access and shade avoidance and similar.

Other advantages ......

> potentially an expandable system
> higher quality equipment (especially the controller)
> more easily serviced since you know the system
> possibly a safer system; you will get the right wire sizes
> possibly a more operable system (proper switches and such)
> likely a lower total out-of-pocket cost
> surely higher quality workmanship
> repairable by you (no months of the RV at the dealer)
> etc.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, led, solar