Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 07:21 PM   #1

Solar Newbie Basic question

I purchased a Renogy suitcase to get started in Solar and Renogy has been zero help, they don't answer the phone or emails. Question, my PWM controller allows me to toggle between Amps, Volts, and Amp hours (charged capacity). I don't understand the Amp hour setting. Is this an indication of expected Ah over the next hour at the current Amp and Voltage charging? Or is this the accumulated Ah over a given time period?

thanks all.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #2

Well since no one else seems to know the answer, thought I would post my own answer.I received information from another forum that states that the Ah reading is cumulative. It seems to only reset if the controller is disconnected from the battery for a while.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
I purchased a Renogy suitcase to get started in Solar and Renogy has been zero help, they don't answer the phone or emails. Question, my PWM controller allows me to toggle between Amps, Volts, and Amp hours (charged capacity). I don't understand the Amp hour setting. Is this an indication of expected Ah over the next hour at the current Amp and Voltage charging? Or is this the accumulated Ah over a given time period?

thanks all.
I agree. If the PWM controller "zeros" when you unplug and re-plug it and reads upward from there you've nailed it.

Tracking the day's AH will help ascertain the battery status, though voltage will be much more important and indicative. If you see voltage rise up to about 14.4V, you will know that the charger has completed the bulk stage and the battery is up around 80% charge. Another few hours are required at that voltage for the boost stage to complete. At the end of that stage the batteries are topped off or nearly so if voltage is still up around 14.4V and current has dropped to an amp or two. If there is enough sun to get through both the bulk and boost stages, you will see voltage drop to 13.8V and hold there until the sun goes to low to do so. This is the "float" stage. There may be some current flow in float if there are loads in the RV that are on. Waning sun may make it difficult to know exactly where you are charge-wise since voltage may drop before charging is completed.

The Renogy manual is pretty good, but the above may give you a head start with it.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, solar