Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

Solar panel install

I've installed my solar panel on the roof with the intention of adding more panels at a later date
In the past I've always installed the panel behind a vent or the roof top Ac unit just to break up the airflow under the panel
On this new trailer I've installed it in such a way that it is not behind anything to disrupt the airflow so to speak
Is it necessary to put a piece of flashing in front of it to keep the wind from getting under the panel and lifting it
It's secured to the roof with the rubber well nuts

Thanks
Mike_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #2

No, not necessary as long as the panel feet are securely mounted to the roof.

I cruise at 70 to 75 mph with occasional bursts to 85mph and mine are still standing.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #3

Well
They are as secure as the go power mounting hardware allows

I'll go with it as is

Cheers
Old 08-16-2016, 01:06 AM   #4

What kind of mounting hardware did you use? If it is just screwed into the roof sheathing and the screws are covered with sealant I might get a little worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #5

I used the rubber well nuts
Drill the hole in the roof sheathing insert the rubber sleeve that has a nut built into the end of it
As you tighten the scre it pulls the rubber together under the plywood

A lot like a rivet works
I think they offer a little more meet under the backside of the plywood then just the few threads of a wood screw
They also seem to help seal the hole up as the rubber sleeve expands when tightened
Old 08-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

I also used the well nuts. I put a little sealant in the hole before inserting the nut. I also covered the underside of the mounting bracket with sealant before bolting it to the nut. I then put sealant over the top of the bolt and the bracket. I used a lot of sealant.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #7

I am planning to do the same... Looking at the Renogy kit. Might actually get some extra Z brackets (2 per panel). Always concerned to lose a panel on the highway.
bambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

I used the Renogy Z brackets. If I ever have to remove the panel I'm not sure if I could unbolt it from the Z bracket because the panel is so close to the roof. Just something to consider when choosing brackets.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
I used the Renogy Z brackets. If I ever have to remove the panel I'm not sure if I could unbolt it from the Z bracket because the panel is so close to the roof. Just something to consider when choosing brackets.
I am also looking at the option of using two aluminum angles bolted together to create the "Z" shape. One would be attached to the roof, the second to the solar panels. Bolts attaching the two would be accessible, but still removing them would be a pain, I am thinking about a 1'' x 1'' angles (1 inch is just enough). I believe this would be the same concept as those sticky feets...

To attach to the roof I would use Well Nuts with 3M 5200 on the bottom part (better be safe than sorry!), once adhesive dries I would cover the bracket with Dicor self level sealant.

PSU Turf -- how many watts and which panels you have? do you feel the power you're getting is enough? Just asking since we have 3 little kids (< 5 y/o) and I am sure that with time usage will increase. Not sure if I get the 200w or 400w MPPT kit.

Thoughts?
bambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:45 AM   #10

I have 3 of the Renogy 100 watt panels. 1 is mounted on the roof and 2 can be moved around in the ground. If all 3 are in full sun they put out 10-12 amps. We don't have kids so that is plenty of charging for us. We just spent 4 days at a fairly shady site. By the time we left the batteries were down to 70%. Even though the batteries are 6 volt Trojans I don't like to see them discharging so much. If your kids are into various electronic gadgets I would go with the 400 watt kit if it fits your budget.

Tags
solar, solar panel