Old 07-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #1

Solar panel plug in

I have a 2021 Grey Wolf with the remote solar panel plug in. Looking for specs, wiring diagram etc for this so I can adapt my own solar panels.
capswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by capswin View Post
I have a 2021 Grey Wolf with the remote solar panel plug in. Looking for specs, wiring diagram etc for this so I can adapt my own solar panels.
The "solar ready" socket has two wires with one fused that goes to the battery. Your solar panels WILL need a solar controller to prevent the panels from draining the battery at night and not overcharging it during the day.

Check the polarity of the socket because the Furrion socket has a reverse polarity than normal. You might need to reverse the wires if your solar controller has a prewired socket.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The "solar ready" socket has two wires with one fused that goes to the battery. Your solar panels WILL need a solar controller to prevent the panels from draining the battery at night and not overcharging it during the day.

Check the polarity of the socket because the Furrion socket has a reverse polarity than normal. You might need to reverse the wires if your solar controller has a prewired socket.
Thanks,
I already have a rooftop panel with a controller. Ive read that you shouldn’t have 2 controllers hooked to the same battery bank as it may cause them to compete.

Also is this wiring and fuse accessible? It’s a shame that the manufacturer doesn’t provide this information or respond to requests for information.

Brian
Old 07-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks,
I already have a rooftop panel with a controller. Ive read that you shouldn’t have 2 controllers hooked to the same battery bank as it may cause them to compete.

Also is this wiring and fuse accessible? It’s a shame that the manufacturer doesn’t provide this information or respond to requests for information.

Brian
There won't be any competition. They will both respond to the voltage they read on the battery connection and stop charging when they "see" their set voltage. The battery will draw the voltage down on the common solar output and each controller will deliver up to the limit of their output. When the battery is charged, bus voltage will rise and each will go into float mode.

Since no two devices at the price level of the solar controllers we all use will be absolutely precise in voltage readings one controller will switch to float sooner than the other but it will only be within a few millivolts as a rule.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Or just purchase an adapter that reverses polarity without having to mess with wires. It's possible that an adapter will be necessary anyway as Furion, Zamp, and others use different "sockets" to begin with.

Amazon has them both for either the SAE type or Furion type connectors.

For some it's worth it to purchase rather than dealing with finding a place to reverse connections, cutting, splicing, soldering, taping, etc.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thanks,

Brian
The basic solar connection on the side of the R/V is nothing more than marketing hype. It is a 15˘ plug that gives them the bragging rights to say "Solar Ready"

There's no rocket science to the plug or the wiring that goes to the battery. It's just a simple SAE connector and some very thin gauge wire that connects to the battery.

It's a poor connection at best.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=88
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
The basic solar connection on the side of the R/V is nothing more than marketing hype. it is a 15˘ plug that gives them the bragging rights to say "Solar Ready"

There's no rocket science to the plug or the wiring that goes to the battery. it's just a simple SAE connector and some very thin gauge wire that connects to the battery.

It's a poor connection at best.
I actually climbed under my trailer and saw the wiring. Looks like #12 wire with a 10 amp inline fuse.
As I plan on using 2 solar panels that I already have that can possibly put out more than 10 amps, I'm going to get a 20 controller and hook into the junction box. I plan on using #10 wire and Weather Pack or Deutsch connectors.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #8

been rehashed a dozen times, do a search and you'll see many options
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel