Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Solar Panel setup from FR

Hello,
We are ready to place our order for our first trailer (ultralite 2614bs). FR offers a roof mounted 100 w solar panel and wiring as an option.

Has anyone ordered this? Did it come with an inverter? If so, was ac available inside the tt via standard outlets. Or is the inverter in the tt and you have to plug into the inverter directly.

I understand the 100w panel is not enough to run the trailer, I am just looking to trickle charge the batteries. Speaking of batteries, we are planning to go straight to the two 6 volt batteries connected in series. I would welcome any comments on your experience with the two 6 volt batteries vs a single 12 volt.

Tia

Pat
PatHoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Team

100W panel will be OK for maintaining the battery, but will not provide much more capability. You get about 5A in full sun from a 100W panel. If you use an inverter, that is about 0.5A @120VAC. You most likely will not get an inverter and the controller and wiring will be sized for the 100W panel. You are generally better off for both price and capability to add solar after you determine what you actually need. Get a good power monitor and camp in your driveway or a park with power as a back up. Once you determine what you need, you can design a solar system that will meet your needs without additional expense of replacing inadequate equipment provided by FR. If you are just looking for a battery maintainer capability you will be OK with the 100W system.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHoppe View Post
Hello,
We are ready to place our order for our first trailer (ultralite 2614bs). FR offers a roof mounted 100 w solar panel and wiring as an option.

Has anyone ordered this? Did it come with an inverter? If so, was ac available inside the tt via standard outlets. Or is the inverter in the tt and you have to plug into the inverter directly.
Doesn't come with an Inverter and outlets will only work if plugged into shore power or a generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel