Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Solar power???

I am thinking of putting on a solar system.Some day it might be pre-wired for solar.Were would I look to see.Its a 2008 Forest River Georgetown 374TS. Thanks
hittheroadgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadgeorge View Post
I am thinking of putting on a solar system.Some day it might be pre-wired for solar.Were would I look to see.Its a 2008 Forest River Georgetown 374TS. Thanks
Here is a good place to look:
https://www.mhsrv.com/pdfs/forestriv...georgetown.pdf

Looks like Satellite pre-wire only.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:

I doubt a 2007 is pre-wired for Solar. A quick call to the factory is what I would do. Have you got on top and looked? Or underneath in the boxes.
txmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

A 2008 Georgetown is NOT pre-wired for solar.

You have your work cut out for you.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #5

Hey thanks for the reply.I did look on top and don’t see anything.There is a vent on top of the roof on the passenger side that I don’t know why it’s there.I didn’t look down the vent because the vent is kind of broke So will order a new one and then have a look.I didn’t even think of calling the factory.How would a person get the # Just google it And I have not seen anything below Maybe I am not looking in the right places
Old 06-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #6

Ok well so much for that.Lol I guess I will have to go to plan B.A guy I work with said he could do it.Maybe taking it to a RV place might be the best.Thanks for letting me know
Old 06-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Ok well so much for that.Lol I guess I will have to go to plan B.A guy I work with said he could do it.Maybe taking it to a RV place might be the best.Thanks for letting me know
Before you have someone else do it, please search this forum for 'Solar.' You will have to use and understand your system. I learned a lot from reading and posting questions. I started because I needed power for my CPAP.

I am almost done with my solar install. I am having a local RV repair shop install my Solar Panels because of my health.

The project included three major systems and a lot of smaller systems: Solar Panels, Batteries, & Inverter. Solar Panels feed into a Solar Charge Controller. The Solar Charge Controller charges your batteries. An Inverter gives you 120v AC. An Inverter should be Pure Sine Wave hardwired with an auto transfer relay.

I will still need to make improvements as I use the system and learn about issues.

My install thread:
Expanding compartment space for 2200 Watt Inverter/Charger

Good luck with your Solar install.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #8

I don’t understand much of this It might be best to take to arc place I just going to hook up one 150 watt solar panel We have it in storage and want to keep the fridge going Would like to put up more later You are really doing lots of work to yours Good luck with that Thanks for the reply Happy camping to you
Old 06-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #9

doubtful, at that age anyway...even the sat prewire is hard to find!

you can easily add one or more 100w 12v panels on the roof, or just down on the ground near the coach when you are parked... stored in the bay when traveling. Just run their wiring to the solar controller, then directly to your battery bay.. it's actually very simple.

my wiring for my roof top 100w panels just snakes down the rear ladder, and under the coach into my inverter and battery bay. Easy. No holes, no drilling.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #10

Do not have an RV shop install your solar unless you or someone experienced designs the system.

Solar is best to do on your own so you have a full understanding of the components and how it works. Plus, you can do your own calculations to ensure that voltage wiring losses are minimized.

If you insist on someone installing it for you, using a dedicated RV solar company or installer is your best option.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar