Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2022, 02:28 PM   #1

Solar question

Hello. We purchased a previously owned 2020 Coachmen Freedom express 231 RBDS last Summer. It has a 100 watt solar panel installed on the roof with a Samlex solar 20A charge controller inside. There is a port for an external solar panel on the outside as well. I have a Renogy 100 Watt suitcase solar panel that we used on the old trailer we had when we were boondocking that hooked up to the batteries via alligator clips. My question is, should I bypass the charge controller on the Renogy panel and plug directly into the port on the outside and utilize the Samlex charger onboard? Thanks for any and all responses.
AZfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #2

First thing I would check, is the side port wired to that controller, or directly to the battery? I have heard that the side port is frequently wired direct to battery, thus you would want your controller on the suitcase to be in play still.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #3
Trailer Trash

Hi,
If your battery is on the tongue, I think hooking the suitcase up separately directly to the battery with it's own controller may help you swing the panels around to face the sun easier. No harm in 2 separate systems in parallel. Plus you'll get the most charging that way if the panels are mismatched spec wise.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZfam View Post
Hello. We purchased a previously owned 2020 Coachmen Freedom express 231 RBDS last Summer. It has a 100 watt solar panel installed on the roof with a Samlex solar 20A charge controller inside. There is a port for an external solar panel on the outside as well. I have a Renogy 100 Watt suitcase solar panel that we used on the old trailer we had when we were boondocking that hooked up to the batteries via alligator clips. My question is, should I bypass the charge controller on the Renogy panel and plug directly into the port on the outside and utilize the Samlex charger onboard? Thanks for any and all responses.
I'm not aware of any travel trailers that wire the side solar input any way except straight to the battery. You would want to use your solar panel charge controller whether connecting to the side port or direct to the batteries. Note that you must check the polarity of the side connection as it is most likely reverse to your solar panel cables. You can change this wiring or purchase a cheap polarity reverse adapter from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HQN3K7K...lig_pi_dp&th=1
Old 03-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #5
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
I'm not aware of any travel trailers that wire the side solar input any way except straight to the battery. [/url]
Well, I just learned something, thanks!

Tags
question, solar