Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #21

Here is the wiring coming down thru the fridge area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	47574  
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #22

Wiring to the converter from the controller/charger
Attached Images

Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #23

I love the gopower set up but up here my dealer wants 899 for the 100 watt kit plus install, if I could find the 160 kit to my door for 700 I'd be happy but I can't seem to find anything at all that is that cheap. So I'll probably end up with the eBay ones
blissman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissman20 View Post
I was at costco today and saw these batteries, would 4 of them be good?

Those would work fine for you.
Hooked up in parallel you would have a massive 480 AH battery bank.

Those are not true deep cycle, they are what you would call "semi deep cycle". A true deep cycle battery can be discharged to 20% SOC and recharged repeatedly without adverse effects. Those batteries would not appreciate that being done to them. But not to worry, with 480 AH and 270 watts of solar you would not run into a situation like that.

That is a good price, go for it.

You mentioned something about LED lighting. I installed these (48 SMD) in my trailer 2 summers ago and have had no problems with them. https://tinyurl.com/n7334wk

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Those would work fine for you.
Hooked up in parallel you would have a massive 480 AH battery bank.

Those are not true deep cycle, they are what you would call "semi deep cycle". A true deep cycle battery can be discharged to 20% SOC and recharged repeatedly without adverse effects. Those batteries would not appreciate that being done to them. But not to worry, with 480 AH and 270 watts of solar you would not run into a situation like that.

That is a good price, go for it.

You mentioned something about LED lighting. I installed these (48 SMD) in my trailer 2 summers ago and have had no problems with them. https://tinyurl.com/n7334wk
Tonight I found out my dad will be the head greens keeper at my local golf course. Sounds like he will also be charge of cart maintenance which means he might be able to get me a good deal on batteries!!! So I'll wait to pull the trigger on the batteries till I know what he can do for me. I will check out those LEDs though
Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Tonight I found out my dad will be the head greens keeper at my local golf course. Sounds like he will also be charge of cart maintenance which means he might be able to get me a good deal on batteries!!! So I'll wait to pull the trigger on the batteries till I know what he can do for me. I will check out those LEDs though
I'll bet you'll be able to get those batteries no problem. I went to a floor cleaning machine business, and piggy backed my battery onto their order. I got a good deal, and they made a few bucks as well.

I wouldn't get real excited about a tilting system. I found that it didn't make much of a difference in solar output. I tested the difference while in southern tier area of New York. I decided adding another panel would make up the difference and then some. As you're farther north, the angle may help you more than it did for me.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Thanks so much, I just need to talk to the dealer and see if there I'd anyway for me to retain my roof warranty after drilling holes in it lol
Assuming you cracked a funny - otherwise: Well good luck with that one! I'd bet installing the solar panels will be just enough of an excuse for both factory or extended aftermarket warranties to decline a claim.

Let us know how that conversation went, also I think I would keep a copy of and email or something if they agree to it. Read too many stories in Trailer Life about declined claims unless it was in writing - Just saying!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Assuming you cracked a funny - otherwise: Well good luck with that one! I'd bet installing the solar panels will be just enough of an excuse for both factory or extended aftermarket warranties to decline a claim.

Let us know how that conversation went, also I think I would keep a copy of and email or something if they agree to it. Read too many stories in Trailer Life about declined claims unless it was in writing - Just saying!

I talked to the dealer 2 days ago and he said if they install it then the membrane would still be covered. If I install it not so much. Sounds like a money grab to me, I'm going to ask how much install would be but my guess is as much as the panels themselves. I am still going to email forest river as well. My expirence with my snowmobiles, boats, atvs and cars they have all told me that if the problem isn't related to something I installed then my warranty will remain
Old 03-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #29

Quote:
I love the gopower set up but up here my dealer wants 899 for the 100 watt kit plus install, if I could find the 160 kit to my door for 700 I'd be happy but I can't seem to find anything at all that is that cheap. So I'll probably end up with the eBay ones
Blissman, they still have them on Amazon. $739 for the 160 W Kit

Amazon.com: 160-Watt Overlander Solar Generator Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 03-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Blissman, they still have them on Amazon. $739 for the 160 W Kit

Amazon.com: 160-Watt Overlander Solar Generator Kit: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Wow, that is way overpriced. You can get a 435 watt kit like that with a PWM controller, cables etc from the solar dealer in Quebec for $795 delivered. Has the same 25 year warranty.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #31

The go power system has panels that are golf ball proof , apparently you can drive a golf ball into them and no adverse affects.

I went to my local battery shop to get an idea on a price of t-105 Trojan or equivalent battery and they told me $195 plus tax... Does that sound right? I hope my dad can get me a better deal than that. I will find out early april
Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #32

Quote:
I went to my local battery shop to get an idea on a price of t-105 Trojan or equivalent battery and they told me $195 plus tax... Does that sound right? I hope my dad can get me a better deal than that. I will find out early april
I believe I paid $240 for my Trojan T-1275 12v. I can find it now for $210. Of course you would need two T-105's. usabatterysales.com has them for $140 and you would need to pay a core charge of $30 or provide one but it has to be a 'like' core. I believe they would prorate though.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
I believe I paid $240 for my Trojan T-1275 12v. I can find it now for $210. Of course you would need two T-105's. usabatterysales.com has them for $140 and you would need to pay a core charge of $30 or provide one but it has to be a 'like' core. I believe they would prorate though.
So that's not much better of a price, in canada stuff is so expensive

Tags
solar