Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #1

Solar ready

I just purchased a solar panel for my Mini Lite. It is a 2018 2506S. It came Zamp solar prep ready. Someone told me that the plug is reversed polarity and a regular SAE plug which came with my solar panel and controller will not work because of that reason. Any insight into this would be great. Thank you.
JF Happy Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #2

If it's SAE, these will probably work. These are 10 awg, which is a pretty thick gauge.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200916-205519_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	239305Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200916-205555_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	239306
Goatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Site Team

If you ever plan to add a significant amount of solar ( few hundred watts) it is best to rewire with heaver wire and MC-4 connectors as most larger systems use MC-4 connectors.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
PhD, Common Sense

Don’t just take anyone’s word for whether it will work or not. If it is not a Zamp product, my word would be that it probably won’t work because of different polarities.

Don’t take my word for it either. Use a meter to check the port on the RV. Identify the positive and the negative. Identify the positive and the negative on your charge controller. Make sure you hook it up correctly.

If the polarity is reversed, you can either purchase an adapter or you may just be able to switch positive and negative connectors.

Or you can ignore the Zamp outlet, and connect the charge controller directly to the battery.

Again, don’t take anyone else’s word for anything. Double check all of your connections.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Don’t just take anyone’s word for whether it will work or not. If it is not a Zamp product, my word would be that it probably won’t work because of different polarities.

Don’t take my word for it either. Use a meter to check the port on the RV. Identify the positive and the negative. Identify the positive and the negative on your charge controller. Make sure you hook it up correctly.

If the polarity is reversed, you can either purchase an adapter or you may just be able to switch positive and negative connectors.

Or you can ignore the Zamp outlet, and connect the charge controller directly to the battery.

Again, don’t take anyone else’s word for anything. Double check all of your connections.
Yes, just check the polarity with a meter. No big deal. Zamp connectors are great but no biggee using SAE connectors. Just make sure the polarities on connections are the same.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Happy Traveler View Post
I just purchased a solar panel for my Mini Lite. It is a 2018 2506S. It came Zamp solar prep ready. Someone told me that the plug is reversed polarity and a regular SAE plug which came with my solar panel and controller will not work because of that reason. Any insight into this would be great. Thank you.
Don't sweat this. Anytime you use SAE connectors the male and female end seems to change as connections are made. Look closely at the small adapter in the picture in post #2. It changes the pin from male to female, and vice versa. Your goal is to keep your red wire positive for the entire run and your black wire negative for the entire run. This so that at a quick glance you, or anyone else, know which is which. Use the adapter as needed to achieve this. Buy a digital volt meter if you don't have one. It's $10-$20 well spent.

What connectors are on your solar panel? Can you post a picture of the ends?
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar