Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #1

Question solar ready?

Hi guys,

I have a coachman catalina summit 2019 172FQ. It is solar ready for a 100 watt panel. I wanted to get a 150 watt dokio soft sided suitcase solar panel as a beginner boondocking solar system. My question is would that panel be to much for the 100 watt setup and if it is , what would be the largest watt panel I can get. I do realize I may have to actually change the solar connection plugs that connect the panel to the ready hookup or get an adapter. I only have one so call deep cycle marine battery , but hope to get two agm batteries soon

Another question, would it be easy to change the solar ready wiring to something heavier so I could attach a larger watt panel.

I am a lone traveler so I wouldn't need much solar
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Solar ready means many different things. Some turnkey solutions have a small controller attached to the panel and hence output the final charge level while others are simply a connector and wires from the connector to the battery area. If you have a controller in your solar ready system, you will need to look at the current capability. If you end up purchasing another controller, get one that is about 50% larger than what you think you need. This will allow you capacity to add more panels later without getting a new controller.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #3
JSP

Solar ready usually means they ran a few wires for you. You would need a charge controller in most cases to use the "solar ready" stuff. That particular solar kit you are looking at has a controller built in.
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar