Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #41

At the time the electrician hooked up the trailer, there was nothing turned on. All the things were hooked to power of course like the air cond, microwave, tv, etc. but there was nothing turned on, not even the lights. I don't know how helpful that is but at this point, if it saves anything from having to be replaced I will be happy.

Will update later when I get home from work.
marcusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #42

Sorry about your problems, If you hooked up 220volt to your TT you did blow all boards. 12 volt would not be a problem. Your converter is more done likely gone and would have to be replaced, plus anything else that was 110 volt. The refer should still work on gas only if it is not through the same board. It only takes 1 sec. of 220 volt to melt the boards. I would check all 110 volt outlets and app. in the tt. I know you do not want to hear this, but it has happened to me at my home. I lost anything that was on that circuit and on at the time
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #43
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
At the time the electrician hooked up the trailer, there was nothing turned on.
This is not true as I stated in my post. There are 2 or 3 "always on" 120VAC items and they are most likely damaged or destroyed. If those are the only two items damaged consider yourself very lucky.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

[QUOTE="herk7769"]

This is not true as I stated in my post. There are 2 or 3 "always on" 120VAC items and they are most likely damaged or destroyed. If those are the only two items damaged consider yourself very lucky.

To add to this

Contrary to popular belief it doesn't have to be "on" to be ruined.
Item just has to be plugged in.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #45

Microwave circuit board is powered anytime it is plugged in, for control and clock functions. Same with TV, it is powered but in standby. Sorry for all your problems, hopefully it all gets worked out.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #46

had to subscribe to this thread to learn the outcome. whodathunkit? a mistake like that? i've told my uncle about this issue as he is about to have an electrician run hard wire to an outside breaker for his new TT. heck, i'm running my own. WOW, heartbreaker. i would like to think that is what we pay insurance premiums for, accidents. i reckon i'm gonna read over my policy again to make sure! i hope all goes well. i pray it all works out!
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #47

Well I hooked the TT to the outlet in my garage via an adapter. Still nothing in the TT works. I guess now the only thing I can do is try to get someone to look at it.

I realize that there are some things that are on even though they aren't plugged in. I was just hoping that the high dollar items like air conditioning might not be fried. I'm waiting on a call back from a repair group that one of the members here recommended me to. I left them a message and apparently they come to you or they also have a shop about 50 miles away.

If I can find someone to look at it, I'll update to let everyone know what happened. I guess I can go ahead and cancel my vacation as well. At least I won't have a bunch of wasted vacation time. Not sure I've been this dejected in a long time. So much for buying a new TT.

Still appreciate everyones comments though, it definitely helped me narrow down the issues. Thanks all.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #48

Hi all, if I might impose with one more question. I have an electric jack on the TT and if the battery is dead, that won't work right? So do I need to buy a battery charger to charge up the battery and if so what kind? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan
Hi all, if I might impose with one more question. I have an electric jack on the TT and if the battery is dead, that won't work right? So do I need to buy a battery charger to charge up the battery and if so what kind? Thanks.
True if battery is dead the jack won't work.
Buy an automatic 3 amp trickle charger.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #50

Although its a pain to do you can operate the jacks with a hand crank that should have come with the trailer. Depending on how you make out with a charged battery you may need to crank it by hand to get it to a repair shop. Good luck.
Wally
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #51
Site Team - Lou

A good 4 stage battery charger is a great investment in any case.
I always carry my Ship-n-Shore charger in the battery compartment.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #52

Any luck?
Family Camper's -'96 Coleman SunValley;'00 Forest River Shamrock 25'; '12 Keystone Raptor 41'
strokendiesel002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #53

No luck yet. I may have to wait until Aug. 9 to get the TT in for someone to take a look at it.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
No luck yet. I may have to wait until Aug. 9 to get the TT in for someone to take a look at it.
Well Crudola, with a capital C.

Please keep us informed if you will. I'm still hoping for the best.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #55

Just a suggestion here. Since it seems pretty likely that you are going to be replacing the converter, you might want to consider upgrading to a Progressive Dynamics or another "good" 3 stage converter. Now would seem like the time to do it. I'm sure others can tell you the preferred converters out there or call Randy at www.bestconverter.com. Just a thought... Good luck to you.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213
Just a suggestion here. Since it seems pretty likely that you are going to be replacing the converter, you might want to consider upgrading to a Progressive Dynamics or another "good" 3 stage converter. Now would seem like the time to do it. I'm sure others can tell you the preferred converters out there or call Randy at www.bestconverter.com. Just a thought... Good luck to you.
X2 on the progressive dynamics!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #57

That's an excellent idea. I will talk to the repair guy about that. I may be able to get someone to come by tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #58

Update:

Today, thanks to a referral here from Wildwood Danny, I had A-Z Mobile RV Repair come out to my house. It was definitely the converter. He showed it to me and two of the resistors had exploded inside the converter. Replaced the converter, every electronic device in the TT worked like a charm. $394.00 including parts, labor and trip charge.

I think someone was smiling on me today. I just want to say thank you guys and gals so much for all of your help over the last couple days. I was freaking out. I've ordered a surge protector as advised by several of you. My mom and I are on our way camping and the electrician has agreed to pay for the repairs.

Thanks again all and if I ever have a chance to help out, I will surely repay the assistance.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan
Today, thanks to a referral here from Wildwood Danny, I had A-Z Mobile RV Repair come out to my house. It was definitely the converter. He showed it to me and two of the resistors had exploded inside the converter. Replaced the converter, every electronic device in the TT worked like a charm. $394.00 including parts, labor and trip charge.

I think someone was smiling on me today. I just want to say thank you guys and gals so much for all of your help over the last couple days. I was freaking out. I've ordered a surge protector as advised by several of you. My mom and I are on our way camping and the electrician has agreed to pay for the repairs.

Thanks again all and if I ever have a chance to help out, I will surely repay the assistance.
Fantastic, enjoy your vaca!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:

WooHoo, enjoy your trip and make sure to tell us how it went. Glad you got it all fixed. Kudos to Wildwood Danny and A-Z Mobile RV Repair. I think that was a great price, especially for roadside service.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote