Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

(SOLVED) electrician hooked TT up to 220

Hi guys, I am hoping like crazy that you can help me. I just picked up my new Surveyor TT two weeks ago. This past Friday I had an electrician come over and wire up a 30 amp outlet for me so I could plut the TT in and use the AC and when he hooked it up, smoke started coming out from underneath where the breakers and fuses are.

He finally figured out of course that its 110. After he changed that, I tried the AC, fridge, slide and power awnings and they were working. I just went out to turn on the fridge so it would be good and cold for us to leave this weekend and nothing works. No lights, no slide, no awning, no microwave, no fridge (even on gas) and no AC.

Can you tell me what to do now? This is my first TT and I'm devastated if he did some major damage to it. Also guessing I'm not going anywhere this weekend. One of the reasons I bought a new TT was so that I wouldn't have issues like this. I'm a female and not mechanically inclined and my 78 yr. old mom and I were getting ready to go on a trip. I'm just so upset I can't even think now. I would sure appreciate any advice you have. Thanks.
marcusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #2

If he wired you up to 220V, I'm afraid you might have fried everything electrical in your trailer. Hopefully it's just the converter but unfortunately it's usually worse. You will have to have the dealer check everything out, report it to your insurance and try to get the electrician to pay up. Sorry to hear about this. I know you've been looking forward to getting out and using your new trailer. I hope it all works out for you.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Site Team

From one gal to another I would take it to the dealership and have the service department check it out. I know there are a lot of people out there that can check and fix things but I have yet to find one when I need help. Case point: think of your electrican and how that worked out for you.
  • RV dealerships know RVs
  • Service dept. has experience ordering RV parts and fixing RVs

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #4

I was afraid of that. But does it make sense that after he did that, and hooked it up correctly, everything worked? And now a few days later nothing works?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Alleged curmudgeon

Search the forum for a thread entitled "Power converter issue" originally posted by Old Car. Same thing happened to him and the process of evaluation and repair is outlined.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I just went through it. I am not an electrician but my guess is a few things may have worked right after the incident because you still had power from your battery. I had to have my power unit, television, microwave, and surround sound stereo entertainment center replaced. Luckily the fridge, air, furnace, and water heater were saved. My insurance covered it (less deductible) and I just got my TT back this past weekend. It's a heartbreaking feeling but luckily no one got hurt and material things can be replaced.

I would talk with the electrician. If he doesn't cover it, check with his insurance. Use yours as a last resort. My mistake; plugging into 220; unfortunately involved my father as the electrician and he really feels bad about what happened. Good luck and feel free to contact me is you wish.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
I was afraid of that. But does it make sense that after he did that, and hooked it up correctly, everything worked? And now a few days later nothing works?
It happens because the outlet for RV 30 amp closely resembles the household dryer 30 amp standard. They aren't exact but people mistake the identity on first view. It happens more than you'd think. Its strange things would work at first not later. Most items fed with 2X voltage are damaged at once. If circuit breakers for any ac devices were open, they would have survived. DC loads should all be ok after the converter is repaired. Suspect the lights and reefer controls all quit working after the batteries died. With no charge and some things left on a few days is all it would take to kill the batteries. If in doubt, DC loads all have fuses protecting them. All AC devices have a circuit breaker. Hope for a speedy recovery!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
From one gal to another I would take it to the dealership and have the service department check it out. I know there are a lot of people out there that can check and fix things but I have yet to find one when I need help. Case point: think of your electrician and how that worked out for you.
  • RV dealerships know RVs
  • Service dept. has experience ordering RV parts and fixing RVs
Ouch!
Somehow it doesn't come across as intended and I'm still having a debate in my head as I write this. The right person for electrical work would be an electrician.

Sorry,
T.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

He finally figured out of course that its 110. After he changed that, I tried the AC, fridge, slide and power awnings and they were working. I just went out to turn on the fridge so it would be good and cold for us to leave this weekend and nothing works. No lights, no slide, no awning, no microwave, no fridge (even on gas) and no AC.
Forgive me, if these questions seem asinine. I am just going to go thru the simplest of things, and hope for the best. You stated it was your first travel trailer, and I am not sure of your experience level. Please don't feel insulted by anything I ask.

If you are positive that the A/C worked after this, it would have to have power that didn't come from the battery but from shore power. Most everything else could work off battery power, but not the A/C. If the A/C didn't work, you probably have problems.

Did he turn the 30 amp breaker back off in the box he installed, after ya did your tests? If this is off, and your batteries have depleted, you won't have anything work. Also, make sure the trailers power cord is securely plugged in. I know this sounds basic, but I unplugged mine to weedeat around it once, and forgot to plug it back in. My battery depleted and nothing would work in it. I started checking fuses, and other things before I remembered I had unplugged it prior.

Once you change the switch on your refrigerator to gas....The fridge should work off of gas, as long as you have turned/opened the gas valves on the tanks (normally these are closed/turned off)....and the trailer is set fairly level (which is important in gas mode). You still need some battery power to operate it in the gas mode, as your batteries help work the electronic parts of the appliance while the propane does the rest of the work. I am also assuming the dealer filled the gas tanks for you, so they do indeed have gas in them.

I don't feel good about what he may have done to your power converter, but we can hope for the best. It is also possible that the converter didn't give up the ghost right on the spot, but succumbed to prior injuries later on.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome to the forum.
This has happened way to much lately and sorry for your troubles.
I subscribed to your thread to follow your updates.
Please keep u s updated.
Get your unit to the dealer and inform your electrician of the issues.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
The converter charges the battery. When the converter fried everything worked until the battery died.

Most likely your TV is gone also since it draws power when off. Anything 120VAC that was "ON" when he hooked up is now dead. If the fridge was on, the 120VAC heater is now dead. If the air was "on" it is also dead. Microwave was most likely off so it should be ok. Anything that was 12 volts was ok (except for the converter of course). Previous times this happened the repair costs have come in at around $2,000.00
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #12

Terier, no offense taken. Everybody has been so helpful, you included. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone so far

Thanks to all the suggestions so far.

After the electrician screwed up, the ac continued to run for five hours as we were installing the television in the bedroom. When we finished with that, tested out the tv it was working great. I turned off the ac and fridge and locked up. I never unplugged the TT after that. There is no breaker in the box that he installed but I sent down to the basement of my house and no breakers were tripped. I turned the breaker for that box off and on again just in case and still nothing.

I tried to change the fridge over to gas but none of the lights would come on so it wouldnt switch over. I know it had gas cause the dealer fixed it.

Update on the electrician: He was supposed to come over this morning and look at it. He called me and said take it in to the dealer and see what they charge you to fix it and I'll pay for it. I think he was online last night because he said a couple of the same things you all have been saying. I'm just praying it was the converter only cause I think he would pay for that but if theres a bunch of stuff wrong I'm not sure about that one.

Does anyone know if a claim on my insurance would be on comprehensive? I had to finance the TT and the lender required me to have no more than a $500 deductible when I wanted a $1000. No complaints about that anymore.

should I tell the dealer what happened or just tell them nothing is working. I'm a little calmer this morning. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Alleged curmudgeon

Yes, you should tell the dealer (and anyone else trying to help you) exactly what happened. That you had A/C running for five hours after the event is perplexing here. Have you checked the breakers in the box in your TT to be sure they are not tripped?
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Converter has nothing to do with a/c or tv
As they are 110v not 12v
Converter only takes 110v and converts it to 12v.
If battery is charged you should still have lights.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #16

I looked at the breakers and they were all facing the same way so I didnt think it was the breakers. Is it possible they were all tripped? called the dealer and he cant get to it until Aug. 13. I'm really disappointed in the whole experience. My dad passed away last year and my mom has really had difficulty dealing with it. I really wish he was here now to help me. I was so looking forward to getting away with my mom and now its not going to happen.

What about fuses, should I look at those? Is it possible that they were blown?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan
I looked at the breakers and they were all facing the same way so I didnt think it was the breakers. Is it possible they were all tripped? called the dealer and he cant get to it until Aug. 13. I'm really disappointed in the whole experience. My dad passed away last year and my mom has really had difficulty dealing with it. I really wish he was here now to help me. I was so looking forward to getting away with my mom and now its not going to happen.

What about fuses, should I look at those? Is it possible that they were blown?
Even tho breakers don't looked tripped shut them off then back on.

Fuses should be in same panel

As well as resetable circuit breakers near your battery is a possibility.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
Site Team

Hmmm, I wonder if the outlet that he installed is working correctly now, or if something could have messed up in it too.

I would do as everyone has suggested, and take it to the dealer to let them check it out, irregardless.

On a side note, and really this is something you probably want to add to your trailer accessories anyway...is an outlet tester. This way you can test the one at your house, as well as ALL campground outlets BEFORE you hook your travel trailer into them. Even the ones at the campgrounds can be bad. This is a habit you need to acquire.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire
Hmmm, I wonder if the outlet that he installed is working correctly now, or if something could have messed up in it too.

I would do as everyone has suggested, and take it to the dealer to let them check it out, irregardless.

On a side note, and really this is something you probably want to add to your trailer accessories anyway...is an outlet tester. This way you can test the one at your house, as well as ALL campground outlets BEFORE you hook your travel trailer into them. Even the ones at the campgrounds can be bad. This is a habit you need to acquire.
X2
Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #20

That is a great idea for the power tester. Can anyone give me a link to such an item.

I just talked to my insurance agent. He doesn't think power surges are covered. He said they are not covered in my homeowners so he doesn't think they are covered in the TT comprehensive coverage. I asked him to find out for sure. No matter what he says, I am going to get a copy of my policy and read it for myself to make sure.

Now if I can just find a place to take it for repairs. Every dealer I have called has said at least 2 weeks before they can check it out.