Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #21

Don't remove the covering.

If that trailer has a breaker (which it should) it would be accessible without removing the underbelly covering. I'm not sure where else to look.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:25 PM   #22

Time to call in an RV technician to deal with the issue. Too many throwing darts at the target. All good suggestions but if one doesn't understand the complexity of an RV system, well .......... it is going to be frustrating for all concerned.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocking View Post
Don't remove the covering.

If that trailer has a breaker (which it should) it would be accessible without removing the underbelly covering. I'm not sure where else to look.
Thanks for trying
ldaven68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 12:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Time to call in an RV technician to deal with the issue. Too many throwing darts at the target. All good suggestions but if one doesn't understand the complexity of an RV system, well .......... it is going to be frustrating for all concerned.

Bob
Yes we have an appointment but not until May 9th. So I’ll guess we have to wait and see. Will update everyone when we find out. Certainly doesn’t make it easy to fix ourselves. Would be nice if we could at least get to the fuse box. Really bad design. Thx everyone
Old 04-25-2023, 12:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldaven68 View Post
Thanks for trying
You are welcome!
Hopefully it is a quick fix.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:19 PM   #26

Quote:
I looked on the frame and followed the wires but nothing but the 30 amp inline fuse. our underbelly has a cover over it. Maybe will have to see if we can take that off ? Thx
Common slide breaker is 40 amp.

If mounted under the belly (probably is), the 'covering' should have a hole already there with a piece of the same material covering the hole, probably held in place by a couple of screws. You will probably have to crawl/creeper under the trailer to get to it. It will be under the trailer and fairly close to the battery.

These breakers are prone to loosened nuts, breakage, and corrosion. Frequently they will work intermittently and then cease working, much like if the switch was going bad.

Good luck! When mine went out on a trip we had to crawl around in the trailer because I didn't know where the breaker was. I replaced it with one that has stainless steel bolts & nuts. I sent the new motor I ordered back, refund less shipping and restocking fee.
Attached Images

garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:03 PM   #27

“ We have no battery disconnect switch.”

Basically every RV has a battery on off switch. So, I’ll just ask it. Is your battery on/off switch turned on?

It looks like you have a pass-thru storage compartment immediately behind the hitch. If so, it may be in there.
Old 05-01-2023, 11:42 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post

Basically every RV has a battery on off switch.
You'd be wrong. Many RVs don't have factory battery disconnect switches. I've had three that didn't. Most stick and tin trailers don't have one. Folding trailers don't.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:15 AM   #29

Yes, you may need to drop the front part of the underbelly near the battery. I’ve seen several trailers with fuses and many of the 12v items wired into them there as my slide, tongue jack and electric stabilizers, instead of the panel. Mine were attached to the frame immediately behind the battery cable entrance of the underbelly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1038.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	286651  
Old 05-02-2023, 06:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson View Post
Common slide breaker is 40 amp.

If mounted under the belly (probably is), the 'covering' should have a hole already there with a piece of the same material covering the hole, probably held in place by a couple of screws. You will probably have to crawl/creeper under the trailer to get to it. It will be under the trailer and fairly close to the battery.

These breakers are prone to loosened nuts, breakage, and corrosion. Frequently they will work intermittently and then cease working, much like if the switch was going bad.

Good luck! When mine went out on a trip we had to crawl around in the trailer because I didn't know where the breaker was. I replaced it with one that has stainless steel bolts & nuts. I sent the new motor I ordered back, refund less shipping and restocking fee.
Thx. hubby crawled under and couldn’t find any opening It’s the lights too. our pump fans awning bad power tongue all work though.
But slide radio fridge furnace and lights don’t So something is definitely tripped blown.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:33 AM   #31
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Friend of mine had similar issue after bringing out of storage found out converter bad changed out all worked fine. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:52 AM   #32

Quote:

Basically every RV has a battery on off switch. So, I’ll just ask it. Is your battery on/off switch turned on?

It looks like you have a pass-thru storage compartment immediately behind the hitch. If so, it may be in there.
Sorry but not all campers have a battery disconnect switch. We have owned several campers since 1985 and NEVER had a camper with a battery disconnect switch.

Good luck to the OP surprises me that the slide will not open when hooked to the tow vehicle so anybody's guess.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:57 AM   #33

Have you checked your battery disconnect switch?
Joe M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M. View Post
Have you checked your battery disconnect switch?
They mentioned earlier that they do not have a battery disconnect switch.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You'd be wrong. Many RVs don't have factory battery disconnect switches. I've had three that didn't. Most stick and tin trailers don't have one. Folding trailers don't.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
I didn’t say disconnect switch. This is not a tiny camper or pop-up unit. This is a 21’ travel trailer.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Sorry but not all campers have a battery disconnect switch. We have owned several campers since 1985 and NEVER had a camper with a battery disconnect switch.

Good luck to the OP surprises me that the slide will not open when hooked to the tow vehicle so anybody's guess.

I didn’t say disconnect switch. I said on/off switch. But apparently some don’t even have that meaning there is no way to turn off the 12V system except removing a battery wire.

Nevertheless, I recommended that OP look in the pass– through storage compartment for a battery on/off switch, as some units have such a switch in the outside compartment immediately behind the battery. I have seen more than one case where owners were quite surprised to learn that there was a battery on/off switch in an outside compartment. Some are pretty well hidden.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:40 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
I didn’t say disconnect switch. I said on/off switch.
What's the difference?

I've never heard of a battery on/off switch.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Update:
We have changed the 30 amp fuse by the battery
We have tested the battery and it’s charged and works
The power tongue jack works but not the light on it
The awning works
No inside lights work , USB outlets or slide
All regular outlets work and microwave
We don’t have a battery disconnect
We tried hooking up to our truck
We have plugged into shire power
We can’t access our fuse box where converter is located to check fuses or breakers as the slide is in the way
Have no idea how to manually open the slide and have slime to the place where we purchased and they gave us a couple things to look for but didn’t work as mentioned above and this particular person didn’t know how to open the slide manually 🤷*♀️ We have looked for a spot but according to other forums we have to take the motor off as it’s Lippert slide
So I think we will have to make an appointment and hopefully it’s nothing major. The earliest appointment they had was May 9th. What a silly setup with the fuse box and slide.

If anyone else has any ideas that would be great. But thx for trying.

I can almost guarantee that the issue is a bad fuse or loose wire(s) at the secondary fuse attached to the frame in the underbelly adjacent to battery. I’ve seen where the 6 guage leaving the battery connects to one fuse that has some 12v components connected plus jumpered to a second fuse that has other components on it. My guess is the second fuse is the issue since some components work and others don’t.
This silly cheap way of jumpering 12v components with basically no access is the main reason I moved these fuses into my storage pass through with all individual component fuses when I added my LiFePo battery & inverter in that same location.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
What's the difference?

I've never heard of a battery on/off switch.
Big difference, actually. An on/off switch turns off the 12V system, but does not disconnect the battery from the circuit. In most cases, there are some power consumers that continue to draw power from the battery, even when the on/off switch is off. A battery disconnect switch removes the battery from the 12V circuit completely, and no power consumers can draw any power from the battery.

Many RV owners have learned the hard way that an on/off switch does not stop all draws from the battery, and when they return to their unit in storage, they find the battery completely depleted. A battery disconnect switch will prevent depletion of the battery while in storage. This is one of the first hard lessons that many RV owners have to learn.

The attached is what a battery on/off switch looks like, although there are many variations. Sometimes, they are hidden in compartments, although more commonly, they are mounted inside the entry door.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9844.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	533.5 KB
ID:	286662  
Old 05-02-2023, 09:53 AM   #40

Here is a typical battery disconnect switch, although again, there are many variations of these switches. These are almost always located immediately adjacent to the battery, and usually but not always connected to the negative terminal side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9845.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	286663  

Tags
power