Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2021, 04:39 PM   #1

Some 12 volt items not working

I have a 2021 mini-lite 2109s
After returning from long trip I plugged TT into shore power at house and disconnected battery using the new style battery disconnect
switch that was factory installed. When I turned the battery disconnect switch back to on, I now have several 12 volt items not working. However they all work when plugged to shore power.
Right now the the following 12 volt things will not work when trailer is in boon dock 12v mode only.

1) factory stereo

2) Monitor/switch panel (eye level at entrance)
3) LED docking light at front of trailer
4) power stabilizer jacks

anybody know if there is type of reset switch or relay or other trouble shooting advice or ideas...
P.S. no fuses are illuminated that would convey a blown fuse
Hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Team

How do you expect the battery to stay charged, if you disconnect it from shore power?
The only time you should disconnect the battery, is when it's stored without any shore power.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:25 PM   #3

I kept it on a charger
Old 06-20-2021, 10:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
I kept it on a charger
Are you saying that even though you have the trailer plugged into shore power, you still connect a separate battery charger and disconnect battery by the disconnect? Even though the trailer's converter could do the same thing, possibly better?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-21-2021, 06:44 AM   #5

Quote:
After returning from long trip I plugged TT into shore power at house and disconnected battery using the new style battery disconnect
switch that was factory installed. When I turned the battery disconnect switch back to on, I now have several 12 volt items not working. However they all work when plugged to shore power.
Right now the the following 12 volt things will not work when trailer is in boon dock 12v mode only.

1) factory stereo

anybody know if there is type of reset switch or relay or other trouble shooting advice or ideas...
What 12V items still work?
What is your multimeter read on the isolated battery?
PhilFromMaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #6

I keep my batteries on my RV (2018 Heritage Glen Hyperlight 23 RBHL) connected year round. I live in PA. and the winters are cold. However I keep shore power on year round so the batteries are going on 3 years with no problems. May want to rethink the disconnect.
Joe V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 09:30 PM   #7

disconnect switch shouldn't be the problem, however something is not allowing full power to all 12 volt items. This is the problem. The 12 volt items I mentioned not working when exclusively on battery power do work once I plug in to shore power?
Old 06-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #8

yeah I did it temporarily like for maybe a week... just not sure why everyone is so preoccupied with disconnecting at the external factory installed battery switch ?
Old 06-21-2021, 09:39 PM   #9
FLY4FUN

Quote:

1) factory stereo

That's a puzzler, for sure. Since you've checked the fuses...just to be sure maybe check downstream with VOM of each to be sure power is getting through? Is there possibly more than one "on" position for the factory battery disconnect that might exclude those items not working?
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:25 PM   #10

all other 12 volt items work except the ones I listed,
but if your monitor switch panel isnt working when on 12 volt power only,
you cannot control things such as water pump, wifi ranger water heater,
awning led, step lite, yellow porch lite etc
Old 06-21-2021, 10:28 PM   #11

if I take it to the dealer, for warranty work they usually park it on the lot for several months before they even diagnose... so then the summer is shot
Old 06-21-2021, 10:30 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
if I take it to the dealer, for warranty work they usually park it on the lot for several months before they even diagnose... so then the summer is shot
If it's still under warranty, why not use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed. Some will get the pre-approval for you.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If it's still under warranty, why not use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed. Some will get the pre-approval for you.
^^What Dan Said^^
Old 06-22-2021, 06:20 AM   #14
Site Team

The items you mention, many times have a separate fuse inline and do not use the distribution fuse panel.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #15

I didnt know that forest river would allow that,
I live in a small town and nearest dealer is 60 miles away, I am sure forest river would reimburse within a year or two if ever.
but I believe we have an RV repair shop in our town unless the Rona killed their business
Old 06-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #16

I only see one external fuse very near the battery disconnect switch,
but that appears to be fine

Tags
12 volt