Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #1

Some power...not all

Plugged into 30amp shore power. No lights in the camper. No power to the slide. No power to the awning. Microwave works. We are mystified. Any suggestions?
PuppyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyDogMom View Post
Plugged into 30amp shore power. No lights in the camper. No power to the slide. No power to the awning. Microwave works. We are mystified. Any suggestions?
Lights, slide and awning are all 12v powered.
So something is interrupting the 12v side.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #3

Silly question, but how would I determine what that is. And is there a fix?
Old 05-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #4

The majority of things in the RV work from 12 Volts. The Microwave would work from 110VAC.

The 12 Volt side of the system uses a converter and a battery.

The first thing to check is for a battery cut off switch. If it is off the 12V will not work from the battery.

The converter is attached to the 110VAC and converts the 110 to 12VDC. It then charges the battery and provides power to all of the 12 volt things in the RV. If the converter is not working you will only have 12 volt things working until the battery goes dead.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
The majority of things in the RV work from 12 Volts. The Microwave would work from 110VAC.

The 12 Volt side of the system uses a converter and a battery.

The first thing to check is for a battery cut off switch. If it is off the 12V will not work from the battery.

The converter is attached to the 110VAC and converts the 110 to 12VDC. It then charges the battery and provides power to all of the 12 volt things in the RV. If the converter is not working you will only have 12 volt things working until the battery goes dead.
So...I need to find the converter and check to see if it's working if I understand you correctly. The switch from the battery is on so it's not that. Any suggestions on how I find and check the converter? Thanks much!
Old 05-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
So...I need to find the converter and check to see if it's working if I understand you correctly. The switch from the battery is on so it's not that. Any suggestions on how I find and check the converter? Thanks much!
Do you have a digital meter and know how to use it?
You need to measure the battery voltage, before and after you connect to 30 amp supply.
Is this your first time out camping this year?
When were things working perfectly last time?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Do you have a digital meter and know how to use it?
You need to measure the battery voltage, before and after you connect to 30 amp supply.
Is this your first time out camping this year?
When were things working perfectly last time?
I do not have a digital meter...therefore, do not know how to use one. I'll get one and learn how to use it.

Project started as a dewinterizing exercise. Didn't get past not being able to run the slide out. Things went downhill from there. Everything worked fine last fall.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #8

The power center is usually a brown metal panel with a door that exposes 110-volt circuit breakers and 12-volt fuses. Sometimes it's located below the refrigerator. The innards of this usually contains the converter, which converts 110 volts AC to 12 volts DC for charging the battery and operating lights, slides, furnace, etc.
Finding this will enable you to check for a tripped circuit breaker for the converter.
Have you removed the cover of the battery box to verify the cables are connected properly to the battery? If the battery was accidentally connected backwards, two red fuses in the power panel are probably bad, which would require replacements. Cheap but inconvenient.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LT View Post
The power center is usually a brown metal panel with a door that exposes 110-volt circuit breakers and 12-volt fuses. Sometimes it's located below the refrigerator. The innards of this usually contains the converter, which converts 110 volts AC to 12 volts DC for charging the battery and operating lights, slides, furnace, etc.
Finding this will enable you to check for a tripped circuit breaker for the converter.
Have you removed the cover of the battery box to verify the cables are connected properly to the battery? If the battery was accidentally connected backwards, two red fuses in the power panel are probably bad, which would require replacements. Cheap but inconvenient.
The battery is connected correctly, although not originally. Someone else had connected positive to negative, etc. I switched it. i have also had the cover off of the place where fuses and circuit breakers are so I know where that is (below the fridge). I will check the red fuses (I think they're 12v). Haven't done that yet. No circuit breakers have been tripped.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #10

Is this what I need to get:

https://www.amazon.com/Plusivo-Digit...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 05-14-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
The battery is connected correctly, although not originally. Someone else had connected positive to negative, etc. I switched it. i have also had the cover off of the place where fuses and circuit breakers are so I know where that is (below the fridge). I will check the red fuses (I think they're 12v). Haven't done that yet. No circuit breakers have been tripped.
If someone reversed the battery cables, then either fuses were blown or the 12v resettable circuit breaker was tripped. It is a small gray box with a tiny black reset button you push.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-42085...a-491382281987
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Yes, and while your at it buy a AC outlet tester like this https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Te...1027645&sr=8-6

If you have a neighborhood hardware store or Walmart nearby you can purchase both items for around the same price.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
As already said, that is the 12 volt side of the power box that runs those items. My guess is it is your converter-battery. The battery will run those items. The converter keeps the battery charged when plugged in. The converter (WFCO brand) itself will supply 12 power by itself without a battery installed.

Check your battery charge. I presume it is "dead". Then check your converter fuses and breaker.

At that point you need a multimeter. Check to verify that you have 120 voltage coming into the converter. Check the 12 volt going out of the converter. If you have 120 coming in and nothing going out and the fuses are good then you need a new converter.

There are numerous videos on YouTube on testing converters and how safely use a multimeter. I would strongly recommend that you watch a few of those before proceed. Actually, here is one.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #14

As bikendan (I hope I got that right) mentioned, there may be a resettable 12 volt circuit breaker that needs to be reset. Mine are under the front of the trailer frame. Not the easiest to get to, but if yours are under there and you can take a picture of them, please posted a pic tire here.
I forgot to mention earlier that there may be more than one wire that connects to the negative battery terminal, possibly one that's connected to the frame at the other end. Sometimes this one gets missed when reconnecting the battery.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LT View Post
As bikendan (I hope I got that right) mentioned, there may be a resettable 12 volt circuit breaker that needs to be reset. Mine are under the front of the trailer frame. Not the easiest to get to, but if yours are under there and you can take a picture of them, please post a picture here.
There are prior threads with photographs. This is issue is a very common topic.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If someone reversed the battery cables, then either fuses were blown or the 12v resettable circuit breaker was tripped. It is a small gray box with a tiny black reset button you push.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-42085...a-491382281987

Yeah, you have probably had the reverse polarity fuses blown to the converter if the battery cables were connected backwards. These fuses are there to protect the converter when this happens.

Please read this FAQ thread link below. The last post will explain what/where the reverse polarity fuses may be.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...nt-152813.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #17

Thank you all for the suggestions. It’s reassuring to know that I’m not the first person to have this problem. Have ordered a few things from Amazon and will do further investigating in the morning!
Old 05-14-2021, 06:49 PM   #18

very good read to learn more
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 05-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #19

Thank you. Will take a little time to get through that but I will make the effort.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

OK, in my experience, when there is 120 volts to the camper but ZERO 12 volts, it is not the converter.

A dead or shorted 12 volt battery will prevent the converter from connecting to it. Thus NO 12 volt power.

Remove the cables from the ground terminal of the battery and disconnect the shore power. WAIT about 10 minutes.

JUST plug in the camper.

If the lights and slides work, replace the battery.

If not, replace/troubleshoot the converter.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power