Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #41

RV heaters typically use a fan to circulate warm air..the fan kills the battery during cold nights.
My solution is using a heater that uses no electricity. I've had great results with an Olympian catalytic heater. No more dead batteries when dry camping.
https://www.amazon.com/Olympian-Port.../dp/B000BUV1RK
Old 02-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #42

If I were in the OP's shoes and needed batteries I'd go straight to lithium. I switched to two GC batts as soon as I got my rig home June 2018. Lithiums were still the new kid on the block and I was not well educated on them. I know initial cost is a lot more but their longevity, warranty and capacity (you can draw them down to almost nothing and they're still producing 12v and won't get hurt like a flooded or AGM).

I'm going to use up the Costco batts I have now and lithium will replace them.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #43
Trailer Park Supervisor

In my case Lithiums and converter to accommodate them would probably wind up costing about 10% of what I paid for entire trailer! I imagine it could be justified by spending a heck of lot of time off-grid. We'll see how that goes when the old lady retires.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #44

We boondock most of the time in the backwoods. This time of year it gets into the twenties every night. We stay warm by using lots of blankets, one of them electric. While the generator is running at night (so Liz can watch her nightly news) the electric blanket pre-warms the bed. She turns off the generator when she comes to bed.
We set the propane heater to 50-60 when we come to bed so that it comes on enough to keep the pipes from freezing in the underbelly and crawl spaces, but low enough so it doesn't run constantly.
We have two cheap Interstate series 27 marine deep cells. They will run the heater all night at 50-60° and usually be above, or at 50% in the morning when we turn the generator back on for coffee. We run the generator an average of 5-6 hours a day. Do the batteries get back to 100%? Probably not, but they charge enough so they last through the next night. And we have done this for up to three weeks at a time. I have a cheap multimeter I check the batteries with when I think about it. Works for us.
Like I've always said, you can spend as much, or as little, as you like on your 12v power management system, but as long as it gets done what you need it to do, who cares?
Solar is getting cheaper every year, and it's almost to the point where I think it would be worth it to me. Lithium batteries are still in the ridiculously priced stage, so that's still a big no for me.
Don't over think the whole process and buy all kinds of equipment you don't really need. You will quickly learn what you need to accomplish what you desire. You can always expand your system when you have more experience. And if power management becomes your hobby, then you can go wild with it like several posters here describe
Keep it simple and enjoy camping!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #45

Great discussion on batteries/power.

Our solution, however, is warmer sleeping bags/blankets, and base layer clothing if we really need it. So no matter what, if propane runs out, or the batteries drain, (even though neither has ever happened to us), we're still going to be safe and warm.

Our trips are almost exclusively state and National Parks, without hook-ups, no generator, and we have camped in more than one blizzard in our time. But we're always cozy.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Absorption voltages ARE different. The CTEK will maintain 14.4v, with decreasing current as battery is topped off. By your specs, the WFCO is 13.6v during absorption. Not sure what the difference in charging time would be. I'll have to figure it out before boondocking.
Yep...that's the normal absorption voltage for Progressive Dynamics converters as well. That's why it takes so long to fully charge a lead acid battery with a converter. The problem with the WFCO is that it falls out of bulk and into absorptiion very early. That's one of the reasons people are running their generators for hours and hours. That and they have so much voltage drop between their converter and the batteries, the converter sees it reaches 14.4V and the battery is way lower because of the voltage drop. They may also have cheap old batteries that have no capacity left in them.

The great thing with Solar and Lithium, there is no thinking about it at all. I check my monitor once a day. Takes less than a minute. Less time than it takes to open the gas cap of the generator to see how much gas is in it! Generator stays at home. I like keeping it simple!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We boondock most of the time in the backwoods. This time of year it gets into the twenties every night. We stay warm by using lots of blankets, one of them electric. While the generator is running at night (so Liz can watch her nightly news) the electric blanket pre-warms the bed. She turns off the generator when she comes to bed.
We set the propane heater to 50-60 when we come to bed so that it comes on enough to keep the pipes from freezing in the underbelly and crawl spaces, but low enough so it doesn't run constantly.
We have two cheap Interstate series 27 marine deep cells. They will run the heater all night at 50-60° and usually be above, or at 50% in the morning when we turn the generator back on for coffee. We run the generator an average of 5-6 hours a day. Do the batteries get back to 100%? Probably not, but they charge enough so they last through the next night. And we have done this for up to three weeks at a time. I have a cheap multimeter I check the batteries with when I think about it. Works for us.
Like I've always said, you can spend as much, or as little, as you like on your 12v power management system, but as long as it gets done what you need it to do, who cares?
Solar is getting cheaper every year, and it's almost to the point where I think it would be worth it to me. Lithium batteries are still in the ridiculously priced stage, so that's still a big no for me.
Don't over think the whole process and buy all kinds of equipment you don't really need. You will quickly learn what you need to accomplish what you desire. You can always expand your system when you have more experience. And if power management becomes your hobby, then you can go wild with it like several posters here describe
Keep it simple and enjoy camping!!
Wildcat your life is just too simple. You really need to start overthinking things.

I like the way you think!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
And if power management becomes your hobby, then you can go wild with it like several posters here describe
Truth be told, those with LiFePo batteries spend less time with power management and maintenance than those using 19th Century (1859) technology (lead acid batteries).

How many hours spent on cleaning terminals, checking water, etc?

For those with large lead acid battery banks it's less of a hobby and more of an occupation.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:19 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Truth be told, those with LiFePo batteries spend less time with power management and maintenance than those using 19th Century (1859) technology (lead acid batteries).

How many hours spent on cleaning terminals, checking water, etc?

For those with large lead acid battery banks it's less of a hobby and more of an occupation.
Honestly, time spent managing my ancient technology is minimal. I might add water twice a year, and clean terminals every other year. Change out batteries every 4-5 years. And for a tenth of the price, I'm happy. It currently does what I need.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #50
Trailer Park Supervisor

Actually still have clean terminals after a year and a half. Topped off batteries twice, one of those cheap battery waterers makes it super quick.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Actually still have clean terminals after a year and a half. Topped off batteries twice, one of those cheap battery waterers makes it super quick.
If they ever ration battery water you can have my share. I have no need for it anymore.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #52

Just light a big fire.. the bigger the better. -jk
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I will spend less time monitoring my system in a lifetime than the average person does in one trip going to fill up his gas cans to run his generator.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #54

Ditto NMWildcat

My 4 Costco batteries are a minimal maintenance item. Check level spring and fall. Voltage is via bluetooth. $400 for the batteries and $30 for the bluetooth voltmeter. My batteries are at 53% today. Should last till our next trip without charging.

I have had 6 volt batteries since 1972. Always good for 5+ years.

We only camp 7-9 weeks a year.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
My batteries are at 53% today. Should last till our next trip without charging.
If you keep them discharged at 53% you are damaging your batteries by not keeping them charged. The more and longer you leave them discharged, the more they sulfate. The more they sulfate, the less capacity you end up having.

http://support.rollsbattery.com/supp...tery-sulfation
Old 02-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #56
Trailer Park Supervisor

Beat me to it babock. Bad practice to store discharged. FLA's love being fully charged. Imagine not spending that 400 bucks for new batts for another 2 years.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #57

Totally agree about not leaving those batteries at 53%! Charge them up to 100% then you can let them sit disconnected for some time. Batteries will last much longer if you do. NJKris, thanks for the specs on your battery charger. What will happen if you hook that charger up to your 2 6volts is it will put out the full 25 amps until the voltage hits 14.4. Once the batteries are at 14.4 volts, the charger cuts back the amps (current) to keep the voltage at 14.4. I know that a.8 volt difference doesn’t seem like much but it is, especially when the charger first starts cutting back on charging amps. Couple the extra .8volt with the fact that there won’t be near as much voltage drop in the charger to battery wires as there is with the typical converter to battery wiring, IMHO the charger will be faster. 2 questions, how far away is the converter from the batteries on your rig and do you have a multimeter that has a DC clamp on amp probe? Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #58
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
2 questions, how far away is the converter from the batteries on your rig and do you have a multimeter that has a DC clamp on amp probe?
Estimating about 12 feet from batteries to converter. Another advantage of small trailer! And yes, I have that type of multimeter.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:10 AM   #59

Why heat the entire coach when you are in bed?

A 12v electric sheet will keep you warm , even if the water in the teapot is freezing hard .

Very little electric draw , and a delight to use as the entire bed is warm, not just the grove you warmed with body heat.

electrowarmth.com › 12 Volts Bunk Warmers

12 Volts Bunk Warmers | Electro Warmth

12 Volt Bunk Warmers 12 volt bunk warming pad goes “on the mattress” under you (heat rises). Plugs into the lighter socket. Pre-warms bunk and gets rid of dampness. Heat soothes and relaxes tired back and legs. Helps lull you to sleep.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFred View Post
Why heat the entire coach when you are in bed?

A 12v electric sheet will keep you warm , even if the water in the teapot is freezing hard .
Great product! Good idea. Now my wife is looking at these, so once again, this forum is costing me $$$
We heat the entire RV with the ducted propane heater to keep pipes from freezing. That's why we heat the whole coach to at least 50. We also open cabinets and access panels to help heat any areas with plumbing.