Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #1

Still getting battery corrosion in compartment

I am getting some battery corrosion on the battery compartment floor where my batteries are housed. I did the mineral oil in the cells that some recommended. It helped somewhat, but I still get corrosion in the compartment. Any other suggestions as to how to prevent this?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Clean extremely good with baking soda water combination, all the baking soda you can dissolve in warm water. Then strip the paint to the metal and do again. Then prime and paint with acid proof paint. Should be able to find it online at Aircraft Spruce. Airplanes use this in their battery compartment to prevent corrosion due to bouncing and acid seeping out during maneuvers. Make sure you get acid proof paint.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #3

Acid paint would be my suggestion as Windrider suggested. Also, to my knowledge NO battery manufacturer advises adding anything other than distilled water to batteries, even the additives that are billed for use in batteries shows no actual advantage in most studies I have seen (except the ones by the companies trying to sell you the stuff). I hope you didn't just ruin them by putting mineral oil in them. The problem is that they are off-gassing while charging which is normal. Keep a close eye on them while in storage and keep the water levels up on them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Mineral oil, being lighter than the acid/water, floats on top. It doesn't mix with the water at all. So far (it's been several months) it appears not to have affected the batteries in any way.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery