Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Storage and Shorepower

My local covered RV storage is starting to offer 20A/120V shore power for stored MH. What should I be running during storage?
BamaGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #2

The only time mine is not plugged in is when we are traveling. Not to say it's the best thing to do but it is the way I like to have it. I keep mine along side my house when not in use. Plugged into 30 amps. It keeps my batteries nice and fresh.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
NELA

We keep our 5er on 50 amp. shore power here at home. We're setting the A/C stats at around 80* and the fridge is on.

During the winter, even though she was winterized, we kept a couple of small heaters running inside, which kept it at no lower than 45* inside.

Yep, I'm sure it's adding to our power bill, but I feel better knowing she's not exposed to extreme temps inside and there's less a problem with humidity. Also, if we suddenly decide we want to load up and head out on a Friday afternoon, it's not so difficult to bring the inside temps up or down to comfort level once we get to our site at a local lake.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:01 AM   #4

For long term storage I'd put a battery tender on the battery and turn the battery disconnect off.

In the winter I'd consider turning the disconnect back on, plug in and let the converter handle the battery while running a couple of the mentioned oil heaters if it's not cold enough to winterize. If you winterize it then I'd go take the battery out and put it in climate controlled storage.

In case you haven't gotten it ready for a trip from storage, two days before a trip go turn the battery disconnect on, plug it in and turn your fridge on. They take a bit more than a day to get completely cold.

Covered storage with power, I wish I had that nearby. Best I know of near me is the back of a mini storage which is no bueno. I'd lie awake at night over it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, storage