Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #1

Storage options for batteries and solar

I am purchasing a 2020 ISATA 5 SERIES 28SS with Explorer Package. I live in sunny Florida and will have the unit stored in a covered location with no electric. How should I leave my battery settings and solar when it is being stored. Are there any links on this thread explaining the options.
Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gang View Post
I am purchasing a 2020 ISATA 5 SERIES 28SS with Explorer Package. I live in sunny Florida and will have the unit stored in a covered location with no electric. How should I leave my battery settings and solar when it is being stored. Are there any links on this thread explaining the options.
The best thing is to remove them and set them in your garage with a battery tender on them. Also check water level before storage.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
The best thing is to remove them and set them in your garage with a battery tender on them. Also check water level before storage.
Thanks for replying

The RV shouldn't be sitting for that long. I am planning at least one trip a month I cant imagine taking out the four Lithium batteries every time I park it.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:25 AM   #4

Lithiums? Leave them alone, they're fine as is, save for charging or discharging in over/undertemp conditions. Since they're just sitting, you should be fine.

I'd make sure I had a solar disconnect for longer storage (to keep the panels from trying to charge in undertemp conditions), but that doesn't really apply to people not facing sub-freezing temps. (it's good practice to have a panel disconnect tho).
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:23 PM   #5

50% SOC is what Relion and most other brands recommend

Quote:
Now, how do you know what 50% SOC is maybe a better question? The chart from Relion does not clearly show what exact voltage at a specific temp you are looking for. The graph covers it but there is such a small difference between say 20 to 70 percent SOC. If your Victron BMV-712 has been working well, you might rely on that and try and leave your battery bank somewhere near 50% and disconnect them so there is no parasitic drain. The batteries won't discharge more than a couple % per month when disconnected.
For those leaving their rigs connected to the grid you can't do much unless you upgrade to the ME-ARC, the A stands for Advanced and it gives you more options. I upgraded to the ME-ARC and am testing some storage settings where the charger(Magnum) kicks in at 13 volts and uses 13.2 volts for the charging. This is far different from when they are in service and they are set to charge at 14.2 Volts. Seems we have a ways to go before the Lithium batteries are fully integrated?
Old 05-31-2022, 03:36 PM   #6
Commercial Member

One of the benefits of lithium batteries is they can charge at a much higher rate with no ill effects. What would the point be to lowering that to 13.2 volts unless you are limited on power?

We just did some testing here on a separate project....while plugged in, with the engine alternator going, we can charge 600AH's of batteries from depleted to fully charged in under 3 hours.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:53 PM   #7

How to Store Lithium Batteries? Not how fast to charge them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
One of the benefits of lithium batteries is they can charge at a much higher rate with no ill effects. What would the point be to lowering that to 13.2 volts unless you are limited on power?

We just did some testing here on a separate project....while plugged in, with the engine alternator going, we can charge 600AH's of batteries from depleted to fully charged in under 3 hours.
I am in total agreement that Lithium Batteries are a game changer in the RV world! Hence why I was devastated when my XL was delivered without the option I ordered and payed for. And I have done some testing while running one AC off the Lithium batteries via my extra Magnum Inverter so I am all in when it comes to seeing these batteries get charged quickly from either the Alternator, Grid or Solar or some combination!

But the OP is asking about storage, not the ability to charge.

I am trying to figure out a way to store my batteries at something near 50% SOC and so far, only one user on YouTube has really addressed this concern. I am positive the ME-ARC is part of the answer and I now have two of them in service. The CC/CV mode allows lots of options and yes, lots of complexity. If and when I find reliable data, I will share with the board. Oh, by running at 13-13.2 volts I am trying to keep the battery bank at something closer to 50% SOC.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

Brian,

I was more curious if it made sense to leave the solar on to give them whatever little charge I can get from being in a covered area. At the end of the day with the four lithium batteries I have is the best option is to just shut everything down and no need to charge them . I should be getting out or at least starting it once a month.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:31 AM   #9

Right from Relion;
If you are storing the battery and it is going to be below -20C then the battery is going to need to be moved indoors. RVs have parasitic loads that could completely drain the battery, so if you are going to store it in the RV above 0C then you should leave it connected with the solar on. If it is below 0C you should not charge them, so I would recommend disconnecting the batteries from the system in that case. So if above 0C use or store normally, below 0C use or store but charging must be limited, below -20C the battery should be moved to a warmer location.
I was concerned with winter storage in Canada.
Mike946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:21 AM   #10

I disconnect the solar panels in storage to keep the SOC reduced (normally 80% ish). As mentioned LiFePo life is reduced with long term 100% SOC storage.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #11

Lithium batteries are best stored completely disconnected. I disconnect my single 300AH lithium using the disconnect which leaves solar and LI-BIM isolator (chassis batteries) connected. Mine is in a heated garage so it can sit month(s) like this although I rarely go more than a month given it is either used or I am doing something with it.
Almost all of them state to discharge to 50% but I'm confident you don't need to get to exactly 50%.
I have a 75AH ReLion lithium that I use for my Ocean Kayak with built in MinnKota motor (fishing). It sits for months disconnected and never loses charge. I've left it fully charged from time to time too.
No longer mine: 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS
All pop-up and tent camping before...
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Brian,

I was more curious if it made sense to leave the solar on to give them whatever little charge I can get from being in a covered area. At the end of the day with the four lithium batteries I have is the best option is to just shut everything down and no need to charge them . I should be getting out or at least starting it once a month.
I don't think a month or even two really qualifies as being in Storage based upon what I have read to date. I would simply try and not have them topped off when the end of your use comes up. Then, it would probably be easiest to hit the big disconnect switch and leave them disconnected because parasitic draw can be a pain, especially if you take an extra month to get back to the RV. I would also disconnect the solar but I don't see a switch on my system to disconnect the panels from the controllers. Hmmmm, perhaps another project....darn it.

Tags
batteries, solar, storage