Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2022, 06:23 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3
Post Storing Travel Trailer and turning off battery power

I have a Forest River Salem 28RLSS 2018 Travel Trailer. I just removed the Shore Power and the Travel trailer still has power from the batteries. I have a Xantrex Freedom X 1200 Inverter that appears to be off but I still have power. Does anyone here have the same set up? Do I have to disconnect the batteries each time I store it? It has a power button on it and I pushed it but it doesn't seem to do anything but turn off the inverter but I still have power to the Travel Trailer from the batteries. I do not see any type of switch to turn off the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xantrex Freedom X 1200 Inverter.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	359.7 KB
ID:	280144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo of Truck and Travel Trailer.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	280145  
Team Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 590
Start up front by your batteries. I assume they are up front. Start following the red/positive wire. There should be a battery disconnect switch within a few feet of the battery. You need to switch that to "disconnect" and it will remove power to the trailer.

Note: some trailers have items that may bypass this disconnect switch. You can confirm by seeing how many wires go directly to your battery. Solar will usally go directly to the battery and thats OK, it adds juice. Some times the CO alarm, radio, USB chargers,... may bypass switch.

If anything bypasses the switch then you would need to remove the negative cable from the battery and let it hang somewhere.

Jim M.
__________________
2020 Flagstaff Super Lite 26RBWS
Former: 2017 Rockwood MiniLite 2104S
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Gas
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:06 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
PhilFromMaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Maine
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Start up front by your batteries. I assume they are up front. Start following the red/positive wire. There should be a battery disconnect switch within a few feet of the battery. You need to switch that to "disconnect" and it will remove power to the trailer.

Note: some trailers have items that may bypass this disconnect switch. You can confirm by seeing how many wires go directly to your battery. Solar will usally go directly to the battery and thats OK, it adds juice. Some times the CO alarm, radio, USB chargers,... may bypass switch.

If anything bypasses the switch then you would need to remove the negative cable from the battery and let it hang somewhere.

Jim M.
Exactly!

IMO, there is no substitute for removing the battery and storing it (them) undercover if you are not going to be camping during the Winter. Preferably storing in a heated out building. Periodically be sure to check them for the proper charge for their chemistry.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 231RBDSLE
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
Exactly!

IMO, there is no substitute for removing the battery and storing it (them) undercover if you are not going to be camping during the Winter. Preferably storing in a heated out building. Periodically be sure to check them for the proper charge for their chemistry.
Why a heated building? Storing the lead acid battery in a heated building will increase it’s self discharge rate vs storing it out in the cold. A charged, really cold battery can be stored almost indefinitely without it discharging, thus it will require no monitoring or maintenance charging. If fully charged and healthy, the battery will not freeze at any low temperature you’re likely to find in North America.

I intentionally store all my vehicle/recreational batteries cold for winter. I get long life from them.
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS on 2019 Ford E-450, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
JimM2109S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 235
Adding to jimmarako's post - look for more than one wire connected to the lug on the battery side of the disconnect switch. On my trailer, there are several items that bypass the disconnect switch by connecting to that lug on the battery side of the switch.

The only way to completely eliminate battery discharge is to disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
__________________
2022 MiniLite 2109s
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4
(We're just getting started!)
JimM2109S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
PhilFromMaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Maine
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Why a heated building? Storing the lead acid battery in a heated building will increase it’s self discharge rate vs storing it out in the cold. A charged, really cold battery can be stored almost indefinitely without it discharging, thus it will require no monitoring or maintenance charging. If fully charged and healthy, the battery will not freeze at any low temperature you’re likely to find in North America.

I intentionally store all my vehicle/recreational batteries cold for winter. I get long life from them.
It may depend what you consider cold. The more run down your battery is, the more potential there is for electrolyte freezing. Being an old SOB, I have lost a lot of batteries through Winter neglect over the years.

I tend to store my batteries and forget them. However, if they are stored in plain sight in a place I frequent, I will have a tendency to check their charge occasionally and do any maintenance that is needed. The likelyhood of my hanging out in a very cold space is little to none these days.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 231RBDSLE
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFromMaine View Post
It may depend what you consider cold. The more run down your battery is, the more potential there is for electrolyte freezing. Being an old SOB, I have lost a lot of batteries through Winter neglect over the years.

I tend to store my batteries and forget them. However, if they are stored in plain sight in a place I frequent, I will have a tendency to check their charge occasionally and do any maintenance that is needed. The likelyhood of my hanging out in a very cold space is little to none these days.
Yes, do whatever works for you. Having the batteries indoors and heated creates more work as they require tending due to increased self discharge.

And yes, the more run down the battery is, the more potential for freezing. That is why I specifically said a fully charged battery wouldn’t freeze. So, I would fully charge the battery, totally disconnect it, and leave it out in the cold. At the start of next season, it will likely still be near full charge.
__________________
2020 Sunseeker 2440DS on 2019 Ford E-450, Trekker cap, Topaz paint
BehindBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Zoso1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
That is why I specifically said a fully charged battery wouldn’t freeze. So, I would fully charge the battery, totally disconnect it, and leave it out in the cold. At the start of next season, it will likely still be near full charge.
This has been my experience with liquid GC2 6 volts and 12 volt AGM.
Zoso1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,789
My GC2's sitting outside for the winter lose about 5% charge over that 6 month period. They are 9 years old and still going strong.
__________________

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 590
Make sure the battery has the proper amount of water, fully charge it, disconnect the negative lead at the battery and visit it next Spring.

Be done and over with it.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:01 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 16,693
X-whatever on fully charging and totally disconnecting the battery and leaving right where it is.

No need to keep it inside, heated or tucked in every night. Anything else is a throwback to old battery technology or old wives tales.

A properly charged battery won't even begin to freeze until about -50° below.

And to answer the OPs question, you will need to totally disconnect the battery or parasitic current draws (even with a battery disconnect in play if you do actually have one) will drain the battery during storage..
__________________
2022 Cedar Creek 345IK 5th Wheel•Solar & Inverter•2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4•Factory Puck•B&W Companion•TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater•Sinemate 3500w Gen.
F&AM Lodge 358 Somerset, PA - JAFFA Shrine - Altoona, PA

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=95
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:15 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3
Battery on Forest River Salem 28RLSS

I live in Sunshine State of Florida and it never gets cold. Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I just need to disconnect the batteries. Yes, they are in the front near the propane.
Team Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
jeff64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: N. Illinois
Posts: 2,276
Be sure to clean top of battery and terminals with baking soda/water and a old tooth brush and rinse off. Batteries discharge through the residual "slime" that normally develops on top. Then you can top off cells, charge it, test it and put it to bed with confidence.
__________________
2016 Flagstaff 27VRL Emerald
14K Equalizer
2020 Silverado 2500HD CC 4X4 6.6L gas 3.73
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power, trailer, travel, travel trailer

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.