Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2022, 05:52 PM   #1

Strange electrical issues

I just finished replacing both of the front hydraulic levelers on my Coachmen Mirada Motorhome. All went well with that and they are functioning as they should.

I now have an issue with no 12-volt power in the coach. I have 110VAC as my tv, microwave, residential fridge, etc. works.

I did find that if I start the coach, all 12-volt power is restored, with the exception of slides, awning, and steps due to safety lock out because coach is running.

Nothing electrical was involved when I replaced levelers, only unbolting the assemblies and swapping hydraulic hoses. Could I have possibly pulled something disconnecting a wire or shorting something out.

I’d appreciate any insight anyone can give me, but it will have to be in very basic terms as I’m not to hot with electrical (although I have replaced my steps this year, rewired my awning switch and put up new awning LED lights). Thanks in advance.
jrminiquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:55 AM   #2

First think I would check is the battery disconnect is it in the connected position. Next check the converter output and see if it is working and lastly check the coach batteries and ensure they are good and charged to 100%. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:47 AM   #3

Battery disconnect switch is in “on” position and working as should. Two 12-volt coach batteries are fully charged, checked with volt meter. Magnum converter seemed to be working as should but did do a reset on it this morning just for kicks. Followed instructions in manual and an internal fan did come on and then it blew out some what I am hoping is dust, and crossing my fingers it didn’t fry something. No getting a fault light on Magnum control panel. I still have 110VAC running to everything but still have no 12-volt to anything.

This tells me that something like a circuit breaker has tripped between house batteries and coach. Turning on chassis batteries will supply twelve volt, but still cannot close slides. Not sure where to look for circuit breaker.

Don’t know if it is coincidence that it happened when I was working on levelers. I was just out there two nights earlier and everything was fine.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #4

Problem solved. Had a second set of eyes take a look and we found that a rusted bolt securing three ground wires to the chassis frame had broken off. When installing the jacks enough tension must have been put on the bolt to break the head off. Everything is working now.

I still have an issue with a fault on my inverter, possibly from resetting without grounds being hooked up? Will keep an eye on it.

Tags
electric, electrical