Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
Where should we go next!

Strange electrical problem.

Hello. I have a Forest River Surveyor SV291. Getting ready to head out in a couple of days and decided to get into it today to start prepping. Plugged in to the house and only the AC appliances would come on. No lights, no slide. I have a WFCO 3-stage converter Model #WF-8955AN. I replaced the short power plug already and still no power. When I hook up the battery, they work, but you can tell they are running off the battery. All the AC outlets work, but I have no other power in the camper. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #2

Sounds like a converter issue...here's the manual...http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/Image...erDocs/9-3.pdf
Check pages 3-4 for trouble shooting fuse and continuity issues which may have been tripped with a surge or reverse polarity.

If you don't have output on the disconnected battery cables (measure at least 13.6V) with the unit plugged in...and you've followed the previous steps on fuse checking, you have a defective charger/converter.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
Where should we go next!

Ok,thanks for the response. I'm really stumped. Checked all fuses and breakers. Crawled under the unit and checked everything I could for corrosion, loose wiring, etc. I used to be able to run everything in the camper by just being plugged in. It will no longer do that. If I put the battery in then all the DC items work. Lights,bathroom fan,etc. if just on shore power, only the microwave, plug in outlets and AC television work,but nothing else. You used to be able to here the converter fan kick on as well. It no longer does.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Where should we go next!

Can the camper be ran on shore power alone with no battery in it? Is that bad, because I've been doing that when parked at home quite a bit? Never had a problem. I put the battery in the camper and plugged into shore power and everything seemed to be working, but the lights seemed a little lacking and the bathroom fan wasn't as fast as usual. I also know I used to be able to hear a fan running from inside the converter when all the lights were on. It no longer does.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #5

We just had a similar problem with our MH was converter not keeping batteries charged. While pluged into shore power all your inside lights run off batteries, your plugins run on shore power. We had to have our converter replaced.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offagain View Post
Can the camper be ran on shore power alone with no battery in it? Is that bad, because I've been doing that when parked at home quite a bit? Never had a problem. I put the battery in the camper and plugged into shore power and everything seemed to be working, but the lights seemed a little lacking and the bathroom fan wasn't as fast as usual. I also know I used to be able to hear a fan running from inside the converter when all the lights were on. It no longer does.

Straight from wfco.
" Do not use converter without a battery installed "

The converter needs a battery as a buffer.

If no battery is present the converter will put out full voltage.

Although it can and will work without a battery converter life will be reduced .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also do yourself a favor and replace that crappy wfco with a progressive dynamics brand converter.
Check " best converter " for the best prices and selection.

If I may ..... why do you take the battery out anyway?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #8

Maybe to start the car!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #9

Here's my .02.

If you have taken the battery out and put it back in, could you have possibly hooked the battery cables on to the wrong terminal? I, uh, have some experience at doing that, sometime in my recent past.

Check the 2 orange 40 amp fuses that are located to the left of the other fuses. These are designed to protect your converter if you connected the battery backwards.

You're experiencing some of the same symptoms I was. Turns out it was the fuses all along. Also check the outputs on the converter to see if it is putting out 13.6 volts, if not, then a visit to Bestconverter.com is the next step. Message Randy and he will direct you to what you will need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	57583  
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #10
Where should we go next!

Strange electrical problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Also do yourself a favor and replace that crappy wfco with a progressive dynamics brand converter.
Check " best converter " for the best prices and selection.

If I may ..... why do you take the battery out anyway?

Turbs

I would take the battery out and put it on a battery tender in the garage.

I spoke with WFCO this morning and asked them that same question about leaving the battery in or out and was told I can run the camper without the battery. I do not have a battery kill switch on the unit and after checking on the camper after a few weeks,I would find the battery dead.Even though it's on a pad next to the house, I do not leave it plugged in. I will listen to all of you and leave the battery in while plugged in to the house.

I have a new converter coming in tomorrow. The bottom half anyways. It is a PowerMax Main Board Assembly. Pretty simple swap out from what I've been reading.

After all these years of owning a camper,you still learn something new. Thanks for all the replies!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
Where should we go next!

Replaced the bottom half of my converter (MBA) with a new Powermax MBA as well as a new group 24 RV/Marine battery from Costco. Worked out great.

Fan on the Powermax runs a little louder than the old stock WFCO,but it sounds much stronger. Sounds like it's turning at a higher RPM. All is good.

Tags
electric, electrical