Old 02-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #1

Sudden 110v loss...?

Good morning from Fort Hood TX.
2010 Forest River Flagstaff.
This morning, wind here is 30+ knots.
12v lighting began to dim for maybe a second, then return to full bright...this happened maybe 5-7 times, and then all 110v power was gone.
There are no lights at all on breaker box except the red lights that appear when a 12v fuse is pulled.
I've unplugged and plugged back in the shore power, to no help.
GFIs dont reset.
Where may I start?
ArmyAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #2

Found it...

I had not pulled the plug from the 30 amp connection on the outside.
When I did, the upper R prong is burned with some melted plastic. The female plug of my 30 amp cord is also burned.
Is this only a replacement of both or is there something more to look into...?
Old 02-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
Site Team

Looks like could be several issues.

1st. Check the 120VAC voltage at the pedestal. If wind was bad, power to campground could be out. If power at pedestal, then burned plugs could mean loose connections causing heat. Have campground check connections in pedestal breaker box. You can get replacement plugs for your power cable. Depending on what is burned/melted, you may need to replace both plugs and sockets.

2nd. If you lost all lights once the power went out, you most likely need to replace your battery. When connected to shore power, the converter was powering your 12V lights. Once the power went out, you battery should have taken over, but if you had no lights, the battery was bad and needs to be replaced.

Did you have high current items running, ie electric heaters or coffee makers. It is possible that you were drawing high current through a high resistance ( poor) connection causing heat.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
Head Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyAV8R View Post
I had not pulled the plug from the 30 amp connection on the outside.
When I did, the upper R prong is burned with some melted plastic. The female plug of my 30 amp cord is also burned.
Is this only a replacement of both or is there something more to look into...?
That's a pretty common occurrence on RV's with plug and receptacle cordsets. Just replace the plug and receptacle and you should be good.

Be cognizant whenever you plug in the plug that you twist it according to directions and that you tighten the locking ring properly.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #5

Thank you!

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the prompt replies. I did bring the parts with me, I'm on the road this morning to go attend a military retirement. I will stop by somewhere and pick up the parts change them out and then post again with the status. Everything else that I've read concurs with what you guys are saying, it was not secured properly, probably, and that caused some heat to build up.

Tags
110v