Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #1

Surge Guard Voltage Regulator

I tried to reply to an earlier post but was too old and would not allow me too. This is my question: we stay in a VERY SUB-STANDARD campground owned by BREC in Baton Rouge. Several campers always experience tripped breakers due to not overloading but overloading of low voltage pedestals. Campground was built in early 70's and all 30A which means we have to use cheater boxes. Will the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator keep the breakers from tripping by boosting up the available power. Thanks in advance. Steve A. Dagro
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
I tried to reply to an earlier post but was too old and would not allow me too. This is my question: we stay in a VERY SUB-STANDARD campground owned by BREC in Baton Rouge. Several campers always experience tripped breakers due to not overloading but overloading of low voltage pedestals. Campground was built in early 70's and all 30A which means we have to use cheater boxes. Will the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator keep the breakers from tripping by boosting up the available power. Thanks in advance. Steve A. Dagro
Fyi you can reply to an old thread you just have to click the box that you understand that its an old thread.

Look into a franks autoformer.
http://www.voltagebooster.com/
Surge guard is not what u want.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #3

Another option is this
Voltage Regulator. Note that it is intended to be used with some form of "surge protection". The Franks unit has everything built into one box.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #4

Already have the EMS 50A by Progressive Industries so I guess the Surge Guard Voltage Regulator would be the way to go. RIGHT?? Bought it today at Camping World. On sale for $569 thru today so I had to move fast. They told me I had a 30 day return policy so I have the next 3 weeks of tailgating to try it out. It's a shame I have to spend this kind of money in order to enjoy 7 weekends of tailgating that has been paid up since last March for a sight that is listed as "FULL HOOK-UP". Been looking for the sewer connection for 6 yrs. now.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #5

Yep, the 50-amp stuff is expensive. That sounds like your best plan unless you wanted to sell the EMS in order to buy the Franks all-in-one.

Just make sure you plug the Voltage Regulator in first, followed by the EMS.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #6

Will definitely do that. Bought a new cheater box as well. Will try that 1st. Mine went out last year and bought a new one that is just a "Y" type cause that is what was available. Found the type with the actual box yesterday and will see if that works better. If not, then we will try the regulator. Thanks, Steve
Old 09-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #7

I have an autoformer. It does the same as the Franks unit. I used it in a campground a week or so ago on 30 amps as my 50 amp cord wasn't long enough. I have a volt meter plugged into a kitchen outlet and noticed quite a difference when I eventually put the autoformer on line. It kept the incoming hydro where it should be. I did break down and spent a bunch of sheckles on a 50 amp extension after the better half kept forgetting to shut the AC off while using the hair dryer, microwave and therefore blowing the breaker at the pole.I had to hire a string boy to carry the 50 amp extension . My autoformer was bought a few years ago and only works with 30 amps. I do have surge protectors for 30 & 50 amps but did learn from this forum that I can plug in a 50 amp to 30 amp dog leg after the 50 amp surge protector and will be protected on 30 amps.( I hope I got that right)
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #8

Backtracking to my original post,the campground doesn't have a true 50A hook-up, but 2-30A, which I have been told by several electrical wizards that it does not give you as "clean of amps/voltage as the 50A plug. Kinda makes sense to me. So we have cheater 1st, then EMS to camper. If needed we will put autoformer/voltage regulator between cheater and EMS...we'll see. Thanks to all. Any other replies/comments still welcomed. Steve A. Dagro
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #9

I would be careful with that "Cheater" box. If the two 30-amp outlets are on the same phase, you can overheat your 50-amp neutral wiring in your RV since you would be putting 60 amps thru wire that was rated for 50 amps. Keep an eye on your EMS current readings and make sure it stays below 50 amps total.

Tags
voltage