Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #1

Surge Protection

I'm curious as to why RV mfgs don't provide built-in voltage control/monitors. Almost everyone recommends buying one before plugging into an RV park pedestal. Any thoughts?
tommysaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Retired Old Fart

I would guess the logic is that if proper power is provided, the systems in a RV don't need it. Probably their logic is it is the campgrounds fault for providing crappy service at the pedestals, and if campgrounds were up to basic standards, it would not be needed.

That being said, I agree. It's a know problem and it's not like the makers of the RV don't expect these things to be going from campground to campground, so you would think they would install a hardwired unit from the factory (of course they would charge us 5x what it costs if they did).

There are a lot of upgrades you would think they would do or at least make an option in certain models. I'll give you another example. Putting 14" Goodyear Marathons on a tandem 3500lb axle trailer. The trailer axles are rated at 7,000 pounds and the tires are rated at 7,040 for the set, assuming they remain at 100% full inflation (which everyone knows they will not - and the load is never evenly shared as we pack trailers randomly). So is it Goodyear's fault or the RV makers fault for not building in any margin of error for the air inflation? I'm sure we could come up with quite a few other examples of "just barely adequate" and not ideal.

But I guess technically the lawyers would say it met the required standard (even if barely).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Guess you’re correct in assuming they would charge 2X for the option.
tommysaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote