Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 09:12 PM   #21
Just as confused as you

So, if I understand what is being said, my AC generator is better than the expensive Honda 2000i that everyone is so proud to spend a lot of money on. Let alone x2 so they can run their air conditioners.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #22
Scoundrel

Hey all, the OP was asking about a surge protector - the discussion has degraded into something else. If you have issues with your generators start another topic. To get back on topic, what surge protector or Electronic Monitoring System would you recommend to the OP?

:-)
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #23
Just as confused as you

OP has been answered. Surge protection will not protect you from half the problems you may encounter. PI EMS is the way to go. PI has a lifetime warranty on their products. If you travel from place to place you will be more likely to run into problems with improperly wired pedestals, loose connections or missing connections.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammie View Post
we have a flagstaff micro lite 25bds on order, and are looking at things we need. i know the ea is the one to buy, but do i need a hard wired one, or the portable? pros and cons of each from those with experience here? it wont be delivered for another month or so, it just started its build this week. trying to stay ahead of the game. advice aprreciated!!

tom and edie

Personally after a bunch of research I picked the progressive industries PT30X for ours. Portable so no hardwiring and protects from more than just surge.

Cuts off power to camper automatically if any of specific conditions are met and things have to be stable for more than 2 minutes before it will let power thru again to prevent power cycling.

Just my choice and some info.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #25

Yes, we did get a little off track, but some good information has been shared too!

I may have miss spoke on my original question. I will be getting a PI protector, what is the advantage of hard wired vs portable?
rammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #26

Time Delay?

I noticed the PI EMS has a Time delay. Does that mean after the "electrical event" and after the specified time delay that all of the systems go back to normal?

I'm concerned about leaving the dog in the camper during the hot summer. If there is an electrical event, I would want the Air Conditioner to come back on automatically.

Do all surge protectors do this or just the ones with the Time Delay feature?

Thanks!
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
I noticed the PI EMS has a Time delay. Does that mean after the "electrical event" and after the specified time delay that all of the systems go back to normal?

I'm concerned about leaving the dog in the camper during the hot summer. If there is an electrical event, I would want the Air Conditioner to come back on automatically.

Thanks!
Ron

The "time delay" is a feature of the EMS. You can enable or disable the feature in the hardwired units... and would think you could do the same in the portable ones.

When enabled, the EMS will wait a set number of seconds (the delay) before passing on the power to the camper.

When disabled, the EMS passes on the power to the camper immediately.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Yes, we did get a little off track, but some good information has been shared too!

I may have miss spoke on my original question. I will be getting a PI protector, what is the advantage of hard wired vs portable?

Portable like I have is hooked up at the power source. Have to physically look to see codes etc. but easier to return if it has issues since portable.

The hard wired ones may have remote indicators you can setup inside to monitor etc. But installed so have to remove etc if there are any issues.

Pluses and minuses either way.

Maybe someone has had both and can comment.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
The "time delay" is a feature of the EMS. You can enable or disable the feature in the hardwired units... and would think you could do the same in the portable ones.

When enabled, the EMS will wait a set number of seconds (the delay) before passing on the power to the camper.

When disabled, the EMS passes on the power to the camper immediately.

The PI one is set to just over 2 minutes when it determines electrical is back to normal before it restores. Long enough to prevent cycling but not too long to get things powered up again.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post

Thanks!
Ron
The time delay is customizable. It is either 15 seconds or 136 seconds. This delay is to protect the Air Conditioner. If your air conditioner has a built in delay you set the Progressive to 15 seconds. If your Air Conditioner has NO built in delay you set the Progressive to 136 seconds. This delay is often confused by the un-aware as an analyzing period. The Progressive does not have an analyzing period. It just works.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #31
Just as confused as you

Quote:

Hard wired is permanent and if anything goes wrong with any of the sub-components you just swap out that part. With the portable you have to return the whole thing. In a rush you may leave the portable unit behind. I have not heard of it happening, but someone may think they need it more than you.

just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #32

From my research, and I'm sure that there are those who will add more information... anyways.. The hard wired one cost more but won't grow legs and walk away. I don't know your camper so I don't know if your shoreline connection is on the side of the trailer or its stuffed in a whole. One fellow bought the cheaper portable one and made a short adapter inside his little storage box and then ran his shoreline to the hookup keeping the expensive surge protector safe inside his RV. He called the manufacturer with his idea and they said to go with it.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #33

I have a hard-wired unit and chose to connect it with plugs and receptacles.

I will say one thing about the hard-wired 50 amp unit is, if you aren't comfortable with electrical work, wrestling 6awg wire inside the EMS can be a challenge... especially as to not stress things. I'm no stranger to electrical work, but it took some time.

If you are electrically shy, hire an electrician or get the portable.

The 30 amp EMS would be a lot easier with 10awg wire.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 PM   #34

On the 5 years I've been on this forum, I've read a lot about the potential for the portable version to grow legs, but I've yet to read anything from anyone who's actually had that occur. Seems like an unsubstantiated fear.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
I have a PI HW 30 EMS system installed in my TT. It works fine when on pedestal power at a campground BUT have now been told by PI not to use it with my Yahama 2000 Generator as a power source. Apparently the generators wave form output could damage the EMS System. Had I known of this in advance, I would have bought the portable system. Now I cannot use the generator when camping unless I totally remove the EMS system or do some extensive rewiring..UGH
This is what PI told me....
Yamaha Generator

Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.

For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer.

We chose to have a hard wired unit with readout installed on our new (used) Roo.
Here is a great article on using inverter generators with these hard wired systems. I now know from experience. Simple issue and simple solution. I would have to call BS on the response from Progressive on the Yamaha, or any, inverter generator. The typical issue on why they wont power up your hard wired TT is the floating ground on these types of generators. You will get an "open ground" or other readout from the surge protector. Easy fix.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

You can make your own or buy them on Amazon, about $20. I made my own, hopefully the pic will load too. works like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3081.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	134377  
2016 nights camped: 7, wife was pregnant
2015 nights camped: 29
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:52 AM   #36

It looks like you have a sound proof box for your generator. Would you mind sharing some pictures?
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adony View Post
I have a PI HW 30 EMS system installed in my TT. It works fine when on pedestal power at a campground BUT have now been told by PI not to use it with my Yahama 2000 Generator as a power source. Apparently the generators wave form output could damage the EMS System. Had I known of this in advance, I would have bought the portable system. Now I cannot use the generator when camping unless I totally remove the EMS system or do some extensive rewiring..UGH
This is what PI told me....
Yamaha Generator

Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.

For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer.

Is Progressive Industries saying to not use any inverter generator or just the Yamaha model you listed? I ask because PI has a video on their website which uses an inverter generator to demonstrate their plug along with their EMS.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Is Progressive Industries saying to not use any inverter generator or just the Yamaha model you listed? I ask because PI has a video on their website which uses an inverter generator to demonstrate their plug along with their EMS.
I have seen this video too and would like to know. This is very confusing information. With the thousands of hard-wired PI units out there, no one uses them with non-pure sine wave generators? Don't like 75% of the generators out there fall in to this category?
DNA Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:42 AM   #39
Just as confused as you

I would believe PI is talking about the Yamaha, because the mention that particular make and model.

"Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.

"
Old 05-11-2017, 12:01 PM   #40

I just purchased 2009 Cardinal and new to forum. I have a PI EMS HW50 hard wire unit I want to install but can't see an obvious location. Anyone install on 5er and where did you do install?
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote