Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #1

Question surge protector

Greetings O'Wise Ones!
I searched through previous threads but didn't see the answer so here I go...
I have recently purchased a 2902WS with 50amp service and want to buy a surge protector. Easy peasy you say! Here is my question and maybe I'm just not smart enough to see the answer plainly... Since my cord and connections are 50 amp, what size surge protector do you recommend I buy? I've been to camp grounds that have max 30 amp plugs in which case I have to use the 30 to 50 adapter and so if you put the protector in the campground outlet, you have to have 30amp surge protector. But if you are at a place that has 50amp, you need a 50amp surge protector. I KNOW I'm not the only person with this issue so how did you solve the challenge?
MamaLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Surge protectors actually work on voltage so even though you have a 50 amp unit, the voltage per leg is still 120 volts. So, the surge protector will still work even with a dogbone adapter.

Now a full blown EMS unit will have the capability to tell it that you're on 30 amp service and a lot of them automatically sense the service you have.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLaura View Post
Greetings O'Wise Ones!
I searched through previous threads but didn't see the answer so here I go...
I have recently purchased a 2902WS with 50amp service and want to buy a surge protector. Easy peasy you say! Here is my question and maybe I'm just not smart enough to see the answer plainly... Since my cord and connections are 50 amp, what size surge protector do you recommend I buy? I've been to camp grounds that have max 30 amp plugs in which case I have to use the 30 to 50 adapter and so if you put the protector in the campground outlet, you have to have 30amp surge protector. But if you are at a place that has 50amp, you need a 50amp surge protector. I KNOW I'm not the only person with this issue so how did you solve the challenge?

You need a 50A surge protector. If camping in 30A, use an adapter, plug the surge protector into that, and the trailer into the surge protector. This is assuming you are looking at portable ones. I HIGHLY recommend you look not only at a surge protector, though. I would look at the EMS units by Progressive Industries. They also monitor for high and low voltage, open ground, 220V and so on.

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-pt-x

I personally prefer the hardwired version found here:

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

This unit has a remote monitor that allows you to see any error codes and also monitor your amperage usage from inside the camper- VERY handy if you're on 30A service.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Always Learning

Agree with all of the above. You want a 50amp electric monitoring system (aka EMS).

More info here:
What Surge Protector is best for my RV? | Learn To RV
Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Y
I personally prefer the hardwired version found here:

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c
I agree, a hardwired one is best. Not going to get stolen and you aren't going to forget it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #6

And if you get a hardwire EMS, It won't matter what power source is available at a campground...

Actually, even a portable will work but will introduce an additional connection outside your RV if hooking to a 30 Amp source. Pole-> 30-50 dogbone -> EMS -> your power cord.
My view is that plugs are more likely to end up having problems than hardwire connections. Also, it's really hard to leave a hardwired EMS at a campground.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:33 AM   #7

You folks rock! Thank you so much for all the info!
MamaLaura is offline   Reply With Quote