Old 06-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #1

Surge Protector

Im wonder if I buy one is it worth it.I look at one on Amazon and it was around 76.00 .It was a surge protector 44260 30 amp and at CW it was 100.00.Is there something I should know before buying one

BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:28 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

A surge protector for a rv is absolutely useless, what you want is an Electrical Management System (EMS) or a Hughes Autoformer. Though they are more expensive they will protect your camper from more common conditions encountered while camping.

A surge protector is only good for a power surge in which the voltage spikes quickly then settles back to normal within a few milliseconds. These surges only happen when lightening strikes near your rv and are not all that common in everyday life.

A EMS provides protection against Reverse Polarity Condition (hot and neutral wires reversed), Open Ground (ground wire is not connected), Line Voltage High (Line voltage above 132), Line Voltage Low (Line voltage below 104 volts), Line Frequency High (Line frequency above 69 cycles per second), Line Frequency Low (Line frequency below 51 cycles per second).

50Amp models protect against Line 2 Voltage High (Line voltage above 132) and Line 2 Voltage Low (Line voltage below 104 volts).

These are the most common conditions you will encounter when camping. Both models protect against power surges. The Hughes Autoformer protects against the same conditions as a EMS plus balances low voltage by converting higher amperage draw to boost the voltage.

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #3

I once read that the small ones are really not much more than a polarity checker. So I bought the Hughes Autoformer a while back. I think it was a worthwhile investment.

I lock it with a cable to the camper, put it on wood blocks, and put a plastic garbage can over it to protect against rain. I don't like the idea of putting it under the camper, in case there's a fire or something, but that's just me.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
A surge protector for a rv is absolutely useless, what you want is an Electrical Management System (EMS) or a Hughes Autoformer. Though they are more expensive they will protect your camper from more common conditions encountered while camping.

A surge protector is only good for a power surge in which the voltage spikes quickly then settles back to normal within a few milliseconds. These surges only happen when lightening strikes near your rv and are not all that common in everyday life.

A EMS provides protection against Reverse Polarity Condition (hot and neutral wires reversed), Open Ground (ground wire is not connected), Line Voltage High (Line voltage above 132), Line Voltage Low (Line voltage below 104 volts), Line Frequency High (Line frequency above 69 cycles per second), Line Frequency Low (Line frequency below 51 cycles per second).

50Amp models protect against Line 2 Voltage High (Line voltage above 132) and Line 2 Voltage Low (Line voltage below 104 volts).

These are the most common conditions you will encounter when camping. Both models protect against power surges. The Hughes Autoformer protects against the same conditions as a EMS plus balances low voltage by converting higher amperage draw to boost the voltage.
Hughes Autoformer BX4370 Power Watch Dog 30 AMP Surge Protector.What about this one
Old 06-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
Hughes Autoformer BX4370 Power Watch Dog 30 AMP Surge Protector.What about this one
It alerts you to improper power conditions only via lights on the unit and an app on your phone. Which most likely is thru bluetooth and doesn't help when your sightseeing away from the camper. It does nothing to protect you if something happens after you get plugged in.

Which can have dire consequences if you have a brownout (low voltage) condition while using your A/C.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #6

Quote:
It alerts you to improper power conditions only via lights on the unit and an app on your phone. Which most likely is thru bluetooth and doesn't help when your sightseeing away from the camper. It does nothing to protect you if something happens after you get plugged in.

Which can have dire consequences if you have a brownout (low voltage) condition while using your A/C.
Then which one do you recommend
Old 06-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Then which one do you recommend
One that shuts off power to your rv when it detects problems.

I have a hard-wired Progressive Industries HW-30C. Hughes, PI, and Southwire/Surge Gard make hard-wired and portable models with that feature. I've heard Mike Sokol, the forums resident rv electrical expert, recommends the latest Southwire/Surge Gard model.

If you want a better description of surge protection see the following link; https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...ge-protectors/
Old 06-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
One that shuts off power to your rv when it detects problems.

I have a hard-wired Progressive Industries HW-30C. Hughes, PI, and Southwire/Surge Gard make hard-wired and portable models with that feature. I've heard Mike Sokol, the forums resident rv electrical expert, recommends the latest Southwire/Surge Gard model.
What about this one Hughes Autoformer BX4370 Power Watch Dog 30 AMP Surge Protector
Old 06-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #9

I just bought the the surge guard 34951 at camping world on our way to Alabama on a camping trip. I could have got it cheaper on line but I wanted to have it for this camping trip, I have it hooked up to the 30 amp service inlet for the trailer and the second A/C in the bunker room. I wanted both protected so I went with the 50amp it was expensive but you have to think of it as insurance. We camped all last year without any protection at all, went through a few lighting storms where I had to shut the main breaker off and nothing happened. I figured it was time to stop chancing it and just get the best one out there in my opinion. If you have a good Sam membership and you buy it at Camping World you will get the bluetooth display for free. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	560.1 KB
ID:	230892
ntravis0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

Quote:
What about this one Hughes Autoformer BX4370 Power Watch Dog 30 AMP Surge Protector
I already answered this question. I suggest you re-read posts #5 and #7 as I added a link to Mike's site.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #11

I've got the Southwire also, for 30 amps. It's got all the features I want, miswired pedestal, low/high voltage, and more. Bought last year camping world with my memberships saved $70. Think I paid close to $200. It's the best surge guard with those additional features they had

Chris
Furion Vison S Observation/Rear Camera
RecPro 70" Dual Recliners
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
parise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #12

I would like your guys opinion on these three I pick out .I am not sure which one is the better one.
$110.18

Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector…
$110.18
Qty:1
Delete | Save for later

Hughes Autoformer BX4370 Power Watch…
$114.99
Qty:1
Delete | Save for later

$80.31
Only 18 left in stock.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #13

I know this isn’t on your list, but this has been proven to be the best EMS on the market — yes, even better than the Progressive Industries and Hughes units, but there will be a slew of people ready to jump on this to try and prove me wrong:

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...a-model-34931/

Bruce
Old 06-14-2020, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
I would like your guys opinion on these three I pick out .I am not sure which one is the better one.
We're not qualified to tell you which one is 'better'. Both units protect agains "Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection, Miswired Pedestal Indication, Surge Failure Indicator".
Neither one is going to protect your rig from 'brownouts' that kill appliances including the a/c. You need one that also protects from low voltage. I did a quick search and found this one, but there are others out there that do the same thing. https://smile.amazon.com/Power-Watch..._t2_B0791RW8M2
Old 06-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I know this isn’t on your list, but this has been proven to be the best EMS on the market — yes, even better than the Progressive Industries and Hughes units, but there will be a slew of people ready to jump on this to try and prove me wrong:

https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...a-model-34931/

Bruce
I look at that one it was a little pricey But thanks bud
Old 06-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #16

My choice of protection has been the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X.
Yes, it was expensive but I've witnessed it protect against really bad electrical pedestals. I feel much better having spent the money on this than potentially replacing microwaves, TV's, or A/C units. Good insurance.

SunNRain is offline   Reply With Quote