Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
RickV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort White, Fl
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Rick,

I agree - we bought the portable one and I wish I had gotten the hardwired one now.

EMS-HW50C

Some of the guys on the forum said it is really no big deal to install - it goes between your mains and mounts inside your rig.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this, I bet your local RV dealer would do it for you - probably less than a 2 hour job - the hardest part is cutting out your wall to mount the remote panel.
Actually I don't really care that much about being able to monitor it. The easiest place to get to and install it would be through the basement panel and I could just mount the monitor on the basement Panel I could check it when I first hookup at the CG and after that it won't really matter, I'll know if there's a problem
__________________
2014 Crusader 325res Touring Edition
2021 F-350 SD XLT PS 6.7 Dually Longbed 4wd Crew Cab
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #22
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Scary thing is Glenn...I am toying with the idea of emailing them and asking how *hard* it would be to convert my portable unit to a hard wired one
Why email them? Just get a set of plugs, cut the line inside the trailer between the main and the panel and insert plugs. Then, plug 'er in, just like you would if it was outside. Don't have to convert the unit at all.

The only thing you wouldn't have the the HW'd ones do is the remote panel.....

Dang, there I go again. See what you made me do? I'm now itching to do a mod.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:27 PM   #23
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Kaadk, I ordered my EMS-HW30C from here and had it shipped to Canada no problems. They have good after sales support, too.

TechnoRV - The RV Technology Specialists ... with the best service!
Oh, I found plenty of places that would ship, and after brokerage fees, etc get added on it would have been double. It's not the fact of shipping that's an issue, it's the added costs that seem to come with it.

For instance, take this example from my attempt to order a part from Camp Chef. I wanted to buy a $40 hose. Shipped in the US, it was $40. (Free shipping). Shipped to Canada it was $147.00. $40 part, $12 shipping to reshipping company, $57 brokerage fees, $21 shipping fees from the reshipping company, and then the whole thing was taxed HST, bringing it to $146.90.

Another example, I bought one of the roller shades at the rally. $66.00 shade. When it arrived at my house, there as an additional $43 in brokerage fees and taxes due that I had to pay UPS to get my $66 shade.

That's why I never ordered the unit to be shipped. I was scared to end up paying more for the unit in shipping than I paid for my Surge Guard.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #24
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,399
I know what you mean. That's absolutely true in most cases, especially if the package is shipped via UPS. I don't order from CW for that reason, and Amazon is usually the same but not always. I ordered 30A plugs from Amazon and after shipping they were still cheaper than going down the road to Home Depot. I guess it depends on the product.

If you can find places to ship by USPS it can be less expensive. You're probably aware that if you live close to the border or you cross regularly, there are places that can receive and store your parcels for a very small fee. Unfortunately that's not a cost-effective option for me.


2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew with Max. Towing
10K Equal-i-zer
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Timex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 1,658
The best thing about the portable unit is....that it's portable. If you have a question about the pedestal you are about to set up on, you can walk over to another site and test that pedestal without moving your rig.

There was a thread awhile back that talked about surge protectors exploding(could have used another term) of sorts. I'd rather, if mine was going to do that, do it outdoors.

The internal hardwired ones are basically theft proof. I lock my portable one to the pedestal with a bicycle cable. No guarantee this will stop a thief but it will make him work for it.
__________________
2012 Flagstaff V Lite 30 WRLTS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Mag Hemi 3.72 Rearaxle
Nights camped 2015 = 23
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 700
I bought the portable Progressive 50 Amp. I am not good at doing this stuff. Even though I would have liked the hardwired the portable has been very easy to use. A positive things about the hardwired is the theft and weather issues. The up side of the portable is able to take it to any post in the park and check power before pulling in.
__________________

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:03 PM   #27
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I know what you mean. That's absolutely true in most cases, especially if the package is shipped via UPS. I don't order from CW for that reason, and Amazon is usually the same but not always. I ordered 30A plugs from Amazon and after shipping they were still cheaper than going down the road to Home Depot. I guess it depends on the product.

If you can find places to ship by USPS it can be less expensive. You're probably aware that if you live close to the border or you cross regularly, there are places that can receive and store your parcels for a very small fee. Unfortunately that's not a cost-effective option for me.


2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew with Max. Towing
10K Equal-i-zer
Yeah, I ended up using one of those receiving places for the Camp Chef order. Unfortunately, I had already bought the Surge Guard by the time I came across those. Not about to buy another when this one still works. If we ever upgrade the trailer to one that's 50A I'll be going that route. But then again, I'm in a border town. (~20 minutes to the Ambassador Bridge).
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
RickV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort White, Fl
Posts: 632
Was talking to a friend yesterday about doing the hardwired version. He proceeded to show me his portable one, it was melted due to a bad pedestal he said if had a hardwired one it would have fried everything up to the protector. After seeing that I think I will go with a portable.
__________________
2014 Crusader 325res Touring Edition
2021 F-350 SD XLT PS 6.7 Dually Longbed 4wd Crew Cab
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Was talking to a friend yesterday about doing the hardwired version. He proceeded to show me his portable one, it was melted due to a bad pedestal he said if had a hardwired one it would have fried everything up to the protector. After seeing that I think I will go with a portable.
Read my reply in other post.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Oh, I found plenty of places that would ship, and after brokerage fees, etc get added on it would have been double. It's not the fact of shipping that's an issue, it's the added costs that seem to come with it.

For instance, take this example from my attempt to order a part from Camp Chef. I wanted to buy a $40 hose. Shipped in the US, it was $40. (Free shipping). Shipped to Canada it was $147.00. $40 part, $12 shipping to reshipping company, $57 brokerage fees, $21 shipping fees from the reshipping company, and then the whole thing was taxed HST, bringing it to $146.90.

Another example, I bought one of the roller shades at the rally. $66.00 shade. When it arrived at my house, there as an additional $43 in brokerage fees and taxes due that I had to pay UPS to get my $66 shade.

That's why I never ordered the unit to be shipped. I was scared to end up paying more for the unit in shipping than I paid for my Surge Guard.
That's insane, what would happen If like I bought it and sent it to you in Canada as a present? Besides the normal shipping charge to you? By the way do they have anything like the USPO or UPS? I really do not know, but sure would be glad to do it for you......
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
That's the one I have, from CW. I haven't had an issue with mine, but one of the major differences with the Progressive units is it's lifetime warranty. I don't have that with the Surge Guard one.
Granted that they only come with a 2 year, but if it breaks CW will replace it, they are very good about that. I returned or replaced a lot of stuff out of warranty by CW. Sure I pay a little more being a brick and mortar store but they will just about replace anything in or out warranty. At Least that has been my experience. Progressive is a great unit that shows a lot of info. but you still have a good one. Had revised polarity at the last CG the unit showed it and would not kick in until the wires were changed. The CG owner didn't know that just switching the black and white wire changes it. I don't know how many people before me plugged into that. I plugged into both sides of me and didn't have it only that space........
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
mud yapster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,162
You guys have me scared to put a hard wired one in my new rig with all the melt down story's. Is it from a defective surge protector of caused from faulty CG power. If its from faulty CG power shouldn't the surge protector shut it off instead of having a melt down or was it caused by a loose wiring connection at the protector. Any help with this because these surge protectors aren't cheep. Thanks for any input on this.
__________________
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
You guys have me scared to put a hard wired one in my new rig with all the melt down story's. Is it from a defective surge protector of caused from faulty CG power. If its from faulty CG power shouldn't the surge protector shut it off instead of having a melt down or was it caused by a loose wiring connection at the protector. Any help with this because these surge protectors aren't cheep. Thanks for any input on this.
I highly doubt the cause is "from" the surge protector.

Low voltage and in turn high amps cause heat along with bad connections.

I've not ever heard of anyone say that there electrical was fried from the pedestal to the hardwired ems.

you guys are WAY over thinking this!



TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
mud yapster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I highly doubt the cause is "from" the surge protector.

Low voltage and in turn high amps cause heat along with bad connections.

I've not ever heard of anyone say that there electrical was fried from the pedestal to the hardwired ems.

you guys are WAY over thinking this!



TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Thanks I was thinking the same thing loose connection causing the melt down not a faulty surge protector.
__________________
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #35
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That's insane, what would happen If like I bought it and sent it to you in Canada as a present? Besides the normal shipping charge to you? By the way do they have anything like the USPO or UPS? I really do not know, but sure would be glad to do it for you......
If, by USPO, you mean the post office, yes we have Canada Post that's the same as your postal service. UPS and FedEx deliver up here, too. Anything that crosses the border via courier gets sent to a "broker" at the border and they look after customs clearance. Brokerage fees are outrageous - usually at least $40. Then, add in the exchange rate (an extra 9 cents per dollar today) and it's hard to find a bargain by ordering online from the US.

I've had car parts shipped via USPS marked as "used parts" and they are not subject to "duty" charges at the border. Personal packages are not subject to duty charges either if they say made in US, Mexico or Canada on the package, or if they don't say the contents are made elsewhere. Shipping by Postal service is usually much cheaper than a courier but may take longer.

Didn't mean to high jack this thread, sorry.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 700
Don't you ever drive South of the border or have anyone travel North (by car) to visit?
Get a big A-S list together. Make a friend at the border.
__________________

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #37
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Don't you ever drive South of the border or have anyone travel North (by car) to visit?
Get a big A-S list together. Make a friend at the border.

I cross the border all the time, I'm only 20 minutes away. Problem in this particular thread is items that need to be shipped, like the Progressive Industries units. If I can find it in a brick and mortar store than I've got no problem buying stateside. Hence why I have a Surge Guard instead of a PI.



Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #38
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,399
Shipping by USPS International First Class Mail for my EMS-HW30C was $34.15 and no duty or brokerage fees. It would cost me more than that to drive one way to the border from where I live. I'm not aware of anyone selling their products or anything similar on this side of the border and the total cost was less than a Surge Guard bought locally.
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
If, by USPO, you mean the post office, yes we have Canada Post that's the same as your postal service. UPS and FedEx deliver up here, too. Anything that crosses the border via courier gets sent to a "broker" at the border and they look after customs clearance. Brokerage fees are outrageous - usually at least $40. Then, add in the exchange rate (an extra 9 cents per dollar today) and it's hard to find a bargain by ordering online from the US.

I've had car parts shipped via USPS marked as "used parts" and they are not subject to "duty" charges at the border. Personal packages are not subject to duty charges either if they say made in US, Mexico or Canada on the package, or if they don't say the contents are made elsewhere. Shipping by Postal service is usually much cheaper than a courier but may take longer.

Didn't mean to high jack this thread, sorry.
Well if I understand you correctly, then I can buy it and send to you from my PO here in Clarksville and you will get it plus postage only. I'll be glad to do it for you...
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,761
Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
While I'd prefer a hardwire, I also know that we won't be long in this TT. Heck, the DW was already looking through the 5er's at Goshen and asking what it would take up update the truck.

So, when I bought my unit, I went with an external 30A for the resale value. I figured that if we did change, we'll probably be going from 30 to 50, and then I'd either be stuck with a 30A hardwire I couldn't put in the new rig, or i'd have to let it go with with the old rig where it wouldn't be factored into the trade in value. With an external unit, I can try to sell it independently to another camper who's still on 30, like my brother or a cousin or something.

Edit: Forgot to mention, we went with a Surge Guard because that's what was in stock at Camping World, and their reviews seemed "good enough". The preference would be for a Progressive Industries but they were exorbitant to try to ship to Canada and I couldn't find one in a local brick and motor store.
Progressive are not CSA approved and won't be sold in Canada according to 2 retailers I talked too. I purchased a Camco copy of the Progressive at Goshen Discount Camper Mart for $150, same protection.

I bet the 5th wheel with a bunk house was on the DW list for the kids. If i had little ones I would opt for that for sure!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.